Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: September 18, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – September 18, 2017
- Desert Trails Remodel project continues. The vendor is currently working on the flooring.
- We are currently sealing striping Kuentz Parking Lot 1.
- Grandview Parking Lot seal and stripe is completed.
- The Kuentz Softball Ramp Concrete Project is completed.
- The Kuentz Woodshop Cart Parking Lot Project is completed.
- The flooring is completed for Kuentz Arts & Crafts Rooms 3 & 4.
- Sport Pavilion Shuffleboard ceiling replacement is completed.
- Flooring replacement has been completed at Memo’s Café in the Sports Pavilion.
- Parking Lot seal and stripe at Kuentz Parking Lot 2 is scheduled for 9/24 – 9/25
- There was another 300 Game bowled at the Sports Pavilion last week. Congratulations go out to Don Montiy! Great job!
- Sunday’s Special brought in $485.
- To date we have 53 entries into the Lona King Bowling Tournament scheduled for Oct. 7 & 8.
- The Shuffle Board Table we installed has been very well received. Everyone playing seems to enjoy themselves and there is a waiting list for those who’d like to use it.
- The Shuffle Board Room opens on 9/25/17
- The Grand Opening of the RH Johnson Pool turned out very well and was attended by about 1,000 in the a.m. and 800 in the p.m. The demonstrations were educational and interesting, the new “Buzz” Café did very well. There was a lot of excitement and energy at the pool throughout the day. Many, many thanks to all of those involved in this project. It turned out better than we could have expected!
- Ballet in the Park is scheduled for Thursday, 9/21/17. Concessions open at 5 p.m., performance begins at 7 p.m.
- Friday, 9/22/17 our Welcome Back Dance was sold out at 450 tickets.
- Movies in the park will now be on Sunday nights. The first movie scheduled for Oct. 1 is “Gifted”.
- Our Entertainment which was previously scheduled on Sundays at Beardsley Park will now be held on Saturdays at the Park at 7 p.m. The first band scheduled is “Touch of Gray” p.m. Oct. 7.
- Our “walk abouts” with the Properties Committee begin on Tuesday, September 19 and each Tuesday for 5 weeks thereafter.
- Palm Ridge Fitness Room will be closed Monday through Wednesday of this week.
- The library will hold an Open House next month from 10:00 a.m. to Noon on Friday, September 29, 2017.
- The library will offer Virtual Reality to residents on three Fridays each month beginning on September 22. Preregistration is required. Each session will be limited to six people in order to give everyone enough time to enjoy the experience.
- The Village Store was open for the afternoon and evening of the RHJ Pool Grand Opening. Sales for the Village Store and the Clubs in the Courtyard totaled $576.
- The Village Store continues to work with Clubs regarding new space available for the Fall Arts and Crafts Fair.
- We will start prep work on Grandview overseeding this week and putting seed down on Wednesday and Thursday of next week.
- Prep work starts for Desert Trails overseeding this week and putting seed down on Monday and Tuesday of next week.
- Stardust and Trail Ridge will close for overseeding on Thursday 9-28.
- The Ball Park closes on Wednesday, 9-20 for overseeding. We will prep Wednesday and Thursday and finish seeding on Friday morning. We plan to reopen on Monday, Oct. 16.
- Next week we close half of the small Dog Park (First Section) for overseeding 9-28. The second half on the dog park closes Wed., Oct. 18 and the outside lawn Dog Park closes Thursday, Oct. 5. The Arc Building lawn will be overseeded Monday, Oct. 2. The lawns at Palm Ridge will be overseeded during the 2nd week of October.
- Staff will overseed the new pool lawn sometime in mid-October.
- We continue to work on the RH Johnson Project Landscaping. We are scheduled to install trees next Wednesday, 9/27, we will finish laying down the Rip Rap (rock) behind the Social Hall sometime next month.
- We plan to install three new trees at the Woodshop within the next 2 weeks.
- We will begin removing flowers and prepping beds for the fall/winter flowers.
- Golf revenue and rounds were down for the month of September ($12,000) and down 800 rounds.
- 60 players have signed up for the Michelob Challenge as compared to 35 from last year’s challenge. This Tournament is scheduled for Saturday at 10 a.m.
- The July Financials were completed and posted on Friday. We expect to have the August Financials out by noon time today. Items of interest regarding the budget will be presented at tomorrow’s B & F Meeting.
- We have lined up several interviews for job vacancies for Member Services and Monitor’s Positions.
39. The Arizona Dept. of Economic Security has 53,367 job openings posted on their website and only received 22,100 resumes that were submitted for those jobs. The State of Arizona had the lowest unemployment figures in eight years.
- Earl is still looking to settle with the insurance company regarding the storm damage to one of our Beardsley Park Pavilions. We did not agree with the estimate from the insurance company so we will go out again to get estimates from other vendors.
Upcoming Events: September 2017
Sat Sep 16
Thu Sep 21 BALLET IN THE PARK, 7 pm Beardsley Park, Enjoy the great work of Ballet Arizona as they present excerpts from their upcoming season. Admission is free, please bring your own chair. Gates open at 5pm. Concessions run from 5-7pm and include hot dogs, hamburgers, and brats,
Fri Sep 22 WELCOME BACK DANCE with THADDEUS ROSE, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
The R. H. Johnson Swim and Fitness Center is now open.