Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: October 14, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – October 14, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress by vendor through completion.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot Mill and Resurface Project is in progress. This project was completed 10-13-19.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – Demolition is complete. Framing and Mechanical trades work is in progress by vendor.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – Demolition is complete. Plumbing and Tile work is now in progress by the vendor.
- The RHJ Pool Deck Electrical and Concrete Repair Update: This project was completed 10-10-19.
- Karl and Russ met with Staff Managers to review their Budgeted Capital Items. The meetings were very productive and will be helpful in tracking Capital Project line items.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- Beardsley Aquatics Spa Update – The vendor was out here on Friday and replaced the redesigned flue. As of this morning, the chemical readings on the water were good, the water temperature was up and the Beardsley spa was reopened.
- Facility Maintenance Crews hooked up the Brody Pods at the library to an electricity source and they are fully functional. Some painting touch-up work remains to be done.
- We are still having “climate” issues as some A/C units are not in sync and “talking” to the System. The Sales Rep. will be contacting the manufacturer to see if they can assist in resolving the issue.
- We met last week with Waxie and Eco Labs to work out some rough spots regarding the On-Line Ordering Process. They will also be out here this week to make some dispenser adjustments.
- The new “Signage” TV installed at Social Hall West has generated a lot of interest. Several Clubs expressed interest is advertising. The sign will be available to promote advertisements for Events, Tours, Clubs, etc.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- For those members new to Sun City West and those who’ve lived here and just want to learn more about the latest and the greatest in the Community, be sure to attend out Newcomers Coffee on Thursday, October 17 at 9:00 a.m. in the Social Hall. The CC&R Department will be manning a booth with information and educational materials.
- We are scheduled to meet with the Men’s Club and others who use their facilities to discuss club responsibilities.
- The CC&Rs Dept. will have a section in the Rec. Centers news beginning with the November issue. To keep up with the latest information on CC&Rs, we encourage all property owners to take the time to check it out.
- We are in talks with Kindred Spirit Tours (Cruises, Across Country, International Trips) and we hope to have an agreement signed with them in the next couple of weeks.
- Katie met with Don Crumley to make a change in the layout of the Social Hall for the upcoming Fall Arts and Crafts Fair. This was done to accommodate a club that is growing and in need of more space.
- Katie advised that a local business recently reported receiving a counterfeit $20 bill which means that we will need to do a good job checking all bill denominations at events such as the Arts and Craft Fairs.
- For the first 10 days of October, League Play is up 10%, Open Bowling is up 75% (due to the recent Tournament), Bowling Revenue is up 11% and Refreshments are up 27% compared to last year for the same time period. Total Revenue is up 9%.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $754 in 6 hours.
- 106 Football Fans attended our Sunday NFL Event.
- The Lona King Tournament is scheduled for Nov. 8 , 9 & 10. The maximum for this event is 150 bowlers. We will be streaming the Tournament live. Barry and staff are now working out the details.
- Our IT Improvement Council Meeting is scheduled for Tuesday at 7 a.m.
- The Election Committee is already beginning work on the Governing Board Election scheduled for March of 2020. Petitions for those interested in running for the Board are available for pickup beginning Nov. 1, 2019.
- The 2nd Session of TORCH takes place on Thursday at the Lecture Hall. Some of the topics discussed will deal with SCW History and Emergency Services.
- Some telephones went down over the weekend due to a faulty switch. The problem has since been repaired.
- The minor printer issues occurring due to the Microsoft update have been resolved.
- In the November edition of the Rec. Centers News, we have 2 pages of Financial Information to catch up on now that the annual audit has been completed. We will also be adding a CC&R page beginning November.
- All four Brody Pods have been connected to electricity and are now fully functional.
- Library Director Jan Kauzlaric will present a tour of the library Tuesday at 9:00 a.m. for Phil Dauterive’s Club tour Group and a Virtual Tour on Wednesday, October 16.
- Jane will speak about the library on Thursday, October 17 at the Sun City West Church of the Advent Ladies Luncheon.
- CFO Pete Finelli thanked staff for their presentations at TORCH so far He thought they were well done and very informative.
- The B&F Committee is meeting on Tuesday of this week (10/15). On the agenda is Van Guard Financials who will be making a presentation on our investments. The Committee continues to perform a line by line review of Governing Board “Fi” Policies to make any necessary revisions and to provide clarity.
- Dave Kingery, Purchasing will be out for the next 4 to 6 weeks. Financial Accounting Manager Tim DeAngelo will be handling this work in Dave’s absence.
- At the end of the First Quarter we are focusing on ensuring that expense information is recorded in the proper place to improve accuracy of the numbers reported in the next Budget Year.
- Pete will be out beginning Friday, Oct. 25 through Nov. 02.
- For the month of October 2019 to date there were 37 APFs with 5 refunds for a total of 32 APF Fees. For October 2018, a total of 91 were collected.
- Lori, our Seasonal Membership Clerk started last Thursday and proves to be a good addition to Member Services. Be sure to stop by and welcome Laurie to the Rec. Centers.
- Mary who is doing the photo taking for us is doing well. So far for the month of October we have taken 194 photos in the Governing Board Conference Room, 317 photos in Member Services Office for a total of 511 new and updated pictures.
- We held our first Happy Hour of the season last Wednesday featuring Touch of Grey. About 500 people attended this event.
- This week’s Concert in the Park featuring Desert Knights Band was attended by 1,200 people. Our next Concert in the Park is Saturday, October 19 and features The Real Thing Band.
- Our Movie in the Park Rocketman was attended by 500 people. Our next Movie is A Dog’s Purpose on Sunday, Oct. 20 at dusk at Beardsley Park.
- Join us at our Garage Sale on Saturday, Oct. 19 at noon in the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot.
- Join us for Motors and Meals on Sunday, Oct. 20 from noon to 4 p.m. at Beardsley Park. This is a nonprofit event for Northwest Valley Connect. The event includes a collector’s car show, food and beverage trucks, farmer’s market, local vendors, costume contest, music and local entertainment for the whole family. All proceeds support NVC whose mission is to connect seniors and people with disabilities with transportation services.
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Our Veteran’s Day POPS Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Beardsley is Sold Out!
- Tickets are available for our “Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel” being held on November 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge and our New Year’s Eve Dance, December 31 at 7:30 p.m. also at Palm Ridge.
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have 23 competitors, 5 committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Individual Tickets for our Top Hat and Cruise Ship Events are available for purchase.
- During open enrollment, Nov. 19 through Dec. 05, employees will be required to enroll for benefits through the Pay Com System.
- Staff Managers are reminded to get any revised job descriptions back to HR for review. HR will be sending a percentage of the job descriptions to the Arizona Employer’s Council for review.
- Financials for the first 13 days of October show greens fees & cart fees up 27% over prior year. Last year we had Echo Mesa, Grandview and Pebblebrook open. This year we have Grandview, Stardust and Trail Ridge Open.
- We sent out entry forms for the Briarwood/RCSCW Golf Tournament (at Briarwood) on Saturday, November 23. This is the first of two events that we are partnered with BCC. The next event will be a two-day event on April 24 & 25 at the Rec. Centers of Sun City West.
- We held our Player Assistant Training on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday of last week. The training will continue through the first two weeks of November for the newly hired PAs. Last year’s PAs will start on Monday, October 21. PAs are attending a CPR Class on Monday, October 28 at 1:00 p.m. at the Fire Station Administrative Offices.
- Call Center started working today at 7 a.m. The Center will operate Monday to Friday through April 2020.
- New inventory has been arriving at all our golf shops.
- The Valley Vista High School golf team completed their season. The team, with their coaches came out and had a divot party for the Stardust Golf Course. They walked the back nine (due to availability of golf holes) and sanded divots along with fixing ball marks. This was done in appreciation of letting them play at Pebblebrook and Stardust this season.
- Golf Course Overseeding Update – Deer Valley, Desert Trails, Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook are scheduled to reopen on Tuesday October 22. At this time we anticipate no cart path restrictions.
- Landscape Maintenance Overseeding Update:
- The Small Dog Park reopened on Wednesday, Oct. 16.
- The other section of the Dog Park will close on Wednesday, Oct. 16.
- Palm Ridge lawns were scheduled to be seeded Monday, Oct. 14.
- Liberty Field Ballpark reopened Monday, Oct. 14.
- The Great Lawn at R. H. Johnson opened on Monday, Oct. 14.
- Beardsley Park overseeding begins Nov. 4
- The ARC lawn was mowed for the first time on Oct. 14.
October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|FREE Concert in Park – Real Thing Band||Saturday, October 21, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FRE Movie in Park – Dogs Purpose||Sunday, October 22, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Ocotberfest – OOMPA||Wednesday, October 23, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru – 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Veterans Day Concert – Pops||Tuesday, November 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||2pm||SOLD OUT|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|New Years Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 15, 2019|
|Holiday Show – Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West||Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 22, 2019|
|Spring Fest||3-14 thru 3-16||Beardsley||7pm||October 29, 2019|
First Happy Hour was last Wednesday with Touch of Grey and had around 500 people
Concert in the park this weekend was Desert Knights Band with around 1200 people
Movie in the Park was Rocketman and had about 500 people!
This Week Events:
10/19 – Garage Sale 7am – noon (RHJ Parking Lot)
10/19 – Concert in Park – The Real Thing Band 7pm (Beardsley Park)
10/20 – Motors & Meals Noon – 4pm (Beardsley Park)
10/20 – Movie in Park – A Dogs Purpose Dusk (Beardsley Park)
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020 – Attached
- 23 Competitors
- 5 Committed Sponsorships
- Woodshop/Metal Shop In-Kind Sponsors
- Add Stop the Bleed Classes to promote the charity!
- First Class is booked on December 18th at the Lecture Hall for staff! Can only take 93
- Jan and Feb have classes available for the community! (Explore!)?
October 14, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|