Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: November 06, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – November 06, 2017
- Kuentz Tile Roof Felt Replacement and Parapet Wall Repairs are in progress and we expect this project to be completed on Nov. 21 for the entire complex.
- The Sports Pavilion Flat Roof Replacement Project is in progress and continues through Nov. 21.
- The resurfacing of the Palm Ridge Pickleball courts has been completed.
- Pro Shop Energy conservation LED Lighting installation as completed on 11/01.
- The Beardsley Agave Room Cabinet replacement begins 11/6.
- The R. H. Johnson Stucco Repair begins 11/6.
- The R. H. Johnson ARC Paint Booth Addition Project was awarded to K. L. McIntyre.
- Facility Maintenance personnel continue working on scheduled repair and maintenance items throughout our facilities.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Nov. 07 featuring a Beatles Tribute.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Monday, Nov. 13. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Join us Wednesday for Happy at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn and RHJ. It is free and open to SCW residents and their invited guests. Entertainment is provided by YesterYear performing classic rock ‘n’ country from the past. Coffee and ice will be provided. You may BYOB and snacks and a chair as well!
- Happy Veteran’s Day to our veterans in Sun City West and all throughout our Country! We thank you for your service! Our Veteran’s Day Program is scheduled for Friday, Nov. 10 with two shows at 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. at the Palm Ridge Facility. The Surprise Pops will honor veterans with a “Veteran’s Day Celebration” featuring American military and marching music. Only a few tickets remain for the 11 a.m. show. Tickets are free to residents and you can get two per Rec. Card.
- Santa Paws is coming to town! Bring your four-legged friends to the Small and Large Dog Parks at the R. H. Johnson Rec. Center on Thursday Nov. 16 for the Santa Paws photo opportunity. The event is scheduled from 8:30 a.m. to 10:00 a.m. at the Small Dog Park and from 10:30 a.m. to Noon at the Large Dog Park. Bring you own camera and props. Richard “Santa Paws” Pinkerton has posed as Santa with animals of all kinds while living in Oregon. This will be Santa Paw’s first appearance in his new home in Sun City West. We are also using this opportunity to collect cans of dog or cat food to donate to a local animal rescue shelter! Hope to see you there!
- The King’s Carolers perform on Wed., Nov. 29 at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn at R. H. Johnson. This event is free and open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. Free cookies and cocoa will be served. Be sure to bring your own chairs. The King’s Carolers are a highly trained professional singing group out of Arizona who will wow you and warm your hearts with your favorite Christmas songs and carols. Join your friends and neighbors for this unique, uplifting holiday event.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $670.
- 36 attended NFL Sunday.
- Ted Bogumil bowled a 300 game and shot an 818 series. Very impressive Ted! There were also 27 honor scores bowled during league play!
- Medicare – 2018! Rosemarie Belin, a former Medicare claims adjustor, presented an outstanding program about Medicare 2018 for the Area Agency on Aging, Region One last Monday.
- Patrons has a great time at the special Virtual Reality Halloween Haunted House last Tuesday. Today, all the special Virtual Reality sessions for Sun City West veterans are full. Also, all regular Friday sessions are full through December.
- Library Director Jane Kauzlarich attended an Emergency Preparedness Workshop at the Arizona State Library in Phoenix which she found to be an excellent Program. Attendees were given guidance in updating our Preparedness Plans and also given a box of supplies for collection recovery.
- Tomorrow, Tuesday, Nov. 7 is our Chat with Local Authors. Thelma McCaslin will be the featured author. Residents may drop in between 10 a.m. and Noon to discuss her book, The Joys of Grandparenting.
- On Wednesday, Nov. 8 Carol Strazer will present a writing workshop, Write Your Story at the R. H. Johnson Library. Ms. Strazer is a published author who lives in Sun City West and coordinates the Library Writer’s Group.
- The next Friends of the Library Book Sale will be held between 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 11 in the Social Hall. Residents have been especially generous in their donations of gently used items for the Book Sale. This will be one of the largest sales in recent memory.
- We are co-sponsoring an EXPO with the Independent Newspaper in the Social Hall on Nov. 7. In return we are receiving three full-page ads for Rec. Centers advertisements.
- The President of TotalE Golf will be here next week to review software.
- We are working with Accounting regarding funding for the digital sign donated to us by ASU.
- Echo Mesa, Pebblebrook and Deer Valley golf courses were overseeded, looking great and will reopen tomorrow with a one-week cart path restriction.
- Beardsley park Closes today for overseeding and will reopen on Dec. 01. With the weather being as good as it has been we may be able to open the Park a bit earlier.
- We will be replacing some of the old, faded STOP signs on our property with new ones so they are more visible.
- For the first 5 days in November, golf rounds are up 36 rounds for the same period in November 2016 and about $4,000 up in revenue which continues to show improvement.
- We have a night putting Turkey Shoot tournament scheduled for Nov. 17 at Echo Mesa which is sold out. All couples entered receive a turkey which they can keep or donate to the local Food Bank.
- Our popular Night Golf Tournament is scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 9 at Pebblebrook Golf Course. This is a nine-hole scramble and is sold out. There will a Door Prize Raffle with all proceeds going to Meals on Wheels here in SCW.
- There will be a Men’s Team, Round Robin Match Play Tournament December 16 & 17 at Deer Valley. This event has been sold out!
- We will be meeting with U.S. Foods later this week. They invited us to the Convention Center to see if we would like to expand the items we offer at our Pro Shop snack bars.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Nov 7 Beatles Tribute
Nov. 14 – Singer Glenn Dragish, who has a great voice. Nov. 21 – Singer Bob Hamilton, a smooth delivery.
Nov. 28 – Singer/guitarist Bud Parker, with his great voice and music.
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Nov 13 & 27 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed, Nov 8 & 15 Happy Hour returns at 6 p.m. Wednesdays, Nov. 8 and Nov. 15, on the Great Lawn at R.H. Johnson, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd. It is free and open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. The Great Lawn is the new outdoor venue near the R.H. Johnson pool. You may BYOB and snacks. Coffee and ice will be provided. Bring your own chairs. No pets are allowed, service animals only.
Nov. 8 – YesterYear performs classic rock ‘n’ country from the past. The band was established in 2003 in a small mountain community called Pine Mountain Club in California. When Bee Be got her first bass guitar and became part of a duo with her husband, Conrad, the adventure began.
Nov. 15 – Boomerang and The Sunsations Drawn together by love for rock ‘n’ roll, Boomerang and The Sunsations cover a wide variety of ‘60s and ‘70s favorites. We rock the house with dance songs like “Land of 1000 Dances,” “Twist and Shout,” and “Mony Mony.” The ladies add harmony for girl-group songs like “Chains,” “Locomotion,” and “Da Doo Ron Ron.”
Fri Nov 10 VETERANS DAY PROGRAM, 11 am & 2 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation The Surprise Pops will honor veterans with two patriotic concerts, a “Veteran’s Day Celebration,” featuring American military and marching music. A few tickets remain for the 11 am show. Tickets are free to residents – two per rec card.
Thu Nov 16 SANTA PAWS IS COMING TO TOWN! Bring your four-legged friend to the small and large dog parks at R.H. Johnson Rec Center, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd., Thursday, Nov. 16, for the Santa Paws photo opportunity. The event is from 8:30 to 10 a.m. at the small dog park and 10:30 a.m. to noon at the large dog park. It is free to Sun City West Residents. Richard “Santa Paws” Pinkerton has posed as Santa with animals of all kinds for more than 14 years while living in Oregon. This will be Santa Paws’ first appearance in his new home in Sun City West. Don’t miss out on this unique opportunity to take a photo of Santa Paws with your favorite furry friend. Please bring your own camera and props (if desired). We are also using this opportunity to collect cans of dog or cat food to donate to a local animal rescue shelter. Don’t “paws” for a moment – put this fun event on your calendar today!
Sat Nov 18 CHARTER CLUB OPEN HOUSE-PALM RIDGE, 10 am – 12 noon. Find out what fantastic clubs operate at Palm Ridge Recreation Center. The clubs that have rooms will be working, so that you can see firsthand what they do. Pickleball will have the Summit Hall B set up for residents to come in, check it out and try the sport (wear gym soes) to see what it’s all about. Computer West will be in their room plus the Palo Verde and the Acacia rooms. Refreshments will be served. For questions call Dori Miller at 623-544-6193.
Wed Nov 29 THE KING’S CAROLERS, 6 pm, The Great Lawn at RH Johnson, The free event is open to Sun City West residents and guests. Free cookies and cocoa will be served. Be sure to bring your own chairs. The “King’s Carolers” are the preeminent group of professional Christmas carolers in Arizona. Their highly trained professional singers will wow you and warm your hearts with your favorite Christmas songs and carols. You may have seen the King’s Carolers last year at the Desert Botanical Gardens Luminarias, Taliesin West, Butterfly Wonderland or any number of parties and events across the Valley. They are the only group of carolers in Arizona staffed entirely by professional musicians. Join your friends and neighbors for this unique, uplifting holiday event.