Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 28, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 28, 2017
- Demolition of the R. H. Johnson Spa has been completed. There were no cracks found in the shell therefore the leak will most likely be found in the plumbing/piping. A new drain and new plumbing will be installed. The County will need to re-inspect prior to us resealing and reapplying the gunite to complete the job.
- We replaced the old tile with new ceiling tile in the RHJ Spa (the old monitor’s booth area) to keep the appearance similar to that of the rest of the lobby area.
- Electronic Dart Boards were installed in the Shuffleboard/Multi-Purpose Room at the Sports Pavilion. We also installed a Shuffle Board Table that getting quite a lot of use. There has been discussion about setting up leagues for both Darts and the Shuffle Board Table.
- Fall Bowling Leagues begin next week.
- We had a great week of bowling specials; Tuesday’s Special brought in $445, Sunday’s Special $541 and because there wasn’t much going on at the Lanes on Saturday, we offered another Special which brought in another $403.
- The new pool at RHJ is now open for use. We’ve received a lot of great comments and those visiting are in awe of the new pool. The actual Grand Opening is scheduled for Saturday, September 16. Ribbon Cutting and Pool Demonstration begins at 9 a.m.
- The Paint and Carpeting Project at the library is now complete and the library reopened for patrons on Tuesday, August 22. Almost all patrons had very nice comments about the new look, especially the new carpet. Normal Hours for the library, including the Data Resource Center, are 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.
- The library will hold an Open House next month from 10:00 a.m. to Noon on Friday, September 29, 2017.
- The Village Store reopens on September 5, the day after Labor Day. The RHJ crew did a great job in cleaning and freshening up the Store while it was closed!
- Katy completed the draft of the new Member Packet last week and sent it out to staff for proofing. The format for the new packet will be completely changed to a “magazine” format to make it more time efficient and cost effective.
- RCSCW is providing the venue to the Independent Expo in exchange for future advertising. Any questions regarding this Expo should be directed to the Independent Newspaper and not the Rec. Centers.
- The Bunker Project at Grandview Golf Course which has been completed on time and slightly under budget. The results are beautiful!
- We are making final touches to the Landscaping Project for the R. H. Johnson Pool and Sports Pavilion Entrances this week. New trash receptacles and large flower pots will be placed at both entrances.
- We will be starting planting/landscaping in the R. H. Johnson Courtyard. This week
- Golf revenue for the first 27 days of August was down $4,000 and rounds were down 288.
- Range Ball Revenue is up for the month ($3,600).
- Our 20/1, 30/2, 40/3 and 50/4 Golf Special had 203 rounds played in August. This special has generated 623 rounds since it began on June 1st. These are rounds played after 12 Noon.
- We are checking into using drones to capture video clips of our golf courses that can be uploaded to our website for members to view.
- Pat O’Hara is currently working on an article discussing retrieving errant golf balls from private property to be published in an upcoming issue of the Rec. Center News.
- Earl continues to talk with our insurance carrier to negotiate the loss of trees and as well as the loss of a Pavilion at Beardsley Park from an earlier monsoon storm.
Upcoming Events: September 2017
Sat Sep 16 RH JOHNSON SWIM & FITNESS GRAND REOPENING
MORNING • 9 a.m. – Ribbon Cutting During entry, we will be giving out a limited number of promotional items (filled bags and tumblers; must show your rec card to claim your gift) • 9:15-9:45 a.m. – Deep Water Exercise Class demo (Sherry) • 10-10:45 a.m. – Water Zumba Class demo (Mitzi) • 10:45 a.m. – Paddle Board Yoga with Desert Lotus (Jennifer) • 11 a.m. – Master Swim demo (Diane) • 11:15 a.m. – Root beer floats (provided by The Buzz) In between each demonstration, we will do a raffle. Raffles by Jason Peterson with Edward Jones and Lucas Hooten with GroovyTek will be at the end around 11-11:15 a.m.
AFTERNOON Fitness on Demand Demos – in the Fitness Room • 1 p.m. – Easy Does It: Seated Movements • 1:30 p.m. – Gaiam Walking: Strong Walk • 2:15 p.m. – Quickfix: Total Body Balance Ball • 3 p.m. – CoffeyFit: Slimsculpting 1-2 • 3:45 p.m. – Pedal Power
EVENING• 5 p.m. – Hot dogs and other concessions available • 6-9 p.m. – Southwest Selfies Photo Booth • 6-9 p.m. – Southwest Surfers Concert (Beach Boys Tribute)
Thu Sep 21 BALLET IN THE PARK, 7 pm Beardsley Park, Enjoy the great work of Ballet Arizona as they present excerpts from their upcoming season. Admission is free, please bring your own chair. Gates open at 5pm. Concessions run from 5-7pm and include hot dogs, hamburgers, and brats,
Fri Sep 22 WELCOME BACK DANCE with THADDEUS ROSE, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is SOLD OUT!
The R. H. Johnson Swim and Fitness Center is now open.
The GRAND OPENING is scheduled for the weekend of Sept 16th.