Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 14, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 14, 2017
- Phase3 of 3 of the Library Paint and Carpet Project has been completed as of 8-14-17. We expect total Project completion on 8-18-17.
- The RHJ Tennis Master Plan Scope of Work will be emailed to vendors on 8-14-17.
- The Desert Trails Pro Shop Remodeling Project has started. Completion is expected on 10-06-17.
- The Acoustical Ceiling Tile Replacement Project at the Sports Pavilion Multi-Purpose Room has started and should take 4 weeks to complete.
- The R. H. Johnson Spa Ceiling replacement has started and we expect completion in about 10 weeks.
- The Kuentz Roofing Project was awarded to Gryphon Roofing.
- The Sports Pavilion Roofing Project was awarded to Pioneer Roofing.
- We are still attempting to find a vendor to repair the storm damage to the Beardsley Gazebo but many firms will not bid due to the steel material used in the roof. We may have to go with another material if we find we cannot get someone to do the job.
- The broken clay pipes in the back wall of Memo’s restaurant were repaired. We’ve also patched and painted the restaurant walls.
- The outside water leak at Grandview has been repaired but the area is not ready for an asphalt patch as it needs some grading.
- Facility Maintenance employees are focusing on completing the re-openings for the Library after completing the Carpet and Paint Project as well as the opening of the new R. H. Johnson Pool.
- The Sports Pavilion re-opened this morning all fresh and clean and ready for business at 9:00 a.m. after being closed for summer maintenance.
- We are preparing to install new flooring at Memo’s Restaurant.
- The last of our Summer Series events takes place today & tomorrow, August 14 and 15 featuring the Dry Heat Band at 7 p.m. at the Stardust Theater. Ticket Sales for our Summer Series went very well this year.
- Tickets for the Sinatra Tribute on August 23rd have been sold out.
- The R. H. Johnson Pool walk-through takes place today. The Lobby walk-through is scheduled for tomorrow, 8-15 and the pool equipment walk-through is on Wednesday, 8-16. We will be removing and replacing all furniture in the lobby area.
- The new pool at RHJ is now filled with water and looks great! We are waiting on several inspections required before the opening of the pool.
- The contractors’ work at the library is nearing completion. Once Facilities Maintenance replaces signage and the library staff completes moving back in, we will announce the new opening date in the eNews and on Facebook.
- The Data Resource Center is now back open. The DRC operates during the hours of 9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m., Tuesdays through Saturdays.
- Library patrons have visited the library outlet in the Stampede Meeting Room but the numbers visiting are diminishing as the weather gets hotter.
- Once the audit is completed and there are no further adjustments to be made to the ledger we will put out a preliminary year-end report and also finalize the month end report for July 2017.
- The next Virtual Reality demonstrations at Palm Ridge are scheduled for 8/18.
- Michael Melissa from the Library Data Resource Center moved to the IT Server Room in the R. H. Johnson Complex and Diana Starbuck moved to the DRC Room at the library last week.
- The deadline for the September Rec. Center News was August 4. The September issue will include a section dedicated to the R. H. Johnson Pool Project.
- Deer Valley Golf Course reopens tomorrow, Tuesday, 8/15.
- Grandview Golf Course which has been closed for summer maintenance since Monday, May 29 will reopen after fall overseeding on October 17. The Bunker Project remains on schedule.
- We are working on the landscaping at the R. H. Johnson Pool Entrance. We dug holes for 19 trees and planted them last week. We have large planters for flowers which will be set up at the entrance on 8/16/17.
- For those of you keeping track, our courses had anywhere from ¾” to 2 ½” of rain over the weekend (Trail Ridge). This means we will not have to pump water for the next several days which saves us from having to pump about 7 million gallons of water each day.
- Special Events Golf Schedule for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 has been sent out to over 600 residents who played in last year’s events. The Schedule will also be sent to each of the Group Play monitors and to the Presidents of each Chartered Golf Club.
- Job postings for both Call Center and Payer’s Assistants positions were reviewed and prepared for posting. Multiple positions will be available for each job. Call Center and PA’s will start early-mid October and run through mid-April.
- We have centralized our “golf club” lost and found department. Instead of lost clubs being located at each golf course, we have organized lost clubs via a spread-sheet and will have them all stored in one place at Golf Operations.
- Desert Trails Pro Shop is currently going through the demolition phase of the remodel.
- Range Ball machines have had plastic covers installed over each LED display. Those machines exposed to direct sunlight have had problems. We are addressing all 7 machines.
- The Accounting Department, IT and Golf Operations are working on internal ways to accept sponsorship money via credit card and check through Golf Operations.
Upcoming Events: Aug 2017
Mon & Tue Aug 14 & 15 THE DRY HEAT BAND, 7 pm at the Stardust Theater, The Dry Heat Band is from the Northwest Valley area of Phoenix and performs a variety of music from western, country, folk, bluegrass, old standards and gospel. They style their performances to the entertainment needs of the audience, using a bit of humor, some interaction and audience participation. Tickets are $10/person and can be purchased online at suncitywest.com or at the RH Johnson Box Office 8 am – 3pm.
Wed Aug 23 SOLD OUT SIZZLING SINATRA SUMMER SPECIAL, 5 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Tickets for the cabaret-style show are just $5 per person and go on sale July 18 at the R.H. Johnson Box Office or online at suncitywest.com. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and the event is open to the public. Beverages will be available or BYOB and bring your own snacks. The melodies. The music. The romance. Mr. Cimorelli will take you back to a time when nightclubs sizzled with hot rhythms and cool lyrics. And one man reigned above it all – Frank Sinatra. Through the musical styling of noted vocalist Frank Cimorelli, that classic sound fills the air once again. You can experience these unforgettable songs sung by an unforgettable voice. Sip martinis while being serenaded with the best loved classics. Frank Cimorelli is an accomplished actor and singer. He is a member of the Screen Actors Guild and has several film and television credits. He has starred in many musical stage productions including “Guys and Dolls,” “Singing in the Rain,” and “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” Cimorelli’s tribute brings Sinatra back to life in what is being called a “must see” show.
Look for the soft opening of the RH Johnson Swim and Fitness Complex on August 28th.
The GRAND OPENING is scheduled for the weekend of Sept 16th.