Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 05, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 05, 2018
- The Lighting Project in the Library and Sports Pavilion parking lot is delayed until the end of February due to manufacturer delay in shipping the product.
- Due to two major upcoming events (The Spring Arts and Crafts Fair and the ARC Car Show) we plan to delay the start date of the ARC Building Project Phase II and installation of parking islands in the RHJ Parking Lot until Feb. 20 or after.
- Beardsley Mini Golf Carpet replacement was awarded to Pyramid Southwest, Inc. due to Carpet Corner declining after initially being awarded the project.
- There is a water leak at Beardsley Mini Golf. We’ve scheduled for Blue Stake and a Locator to pinpoint the leak and locate all of our utility lines so it can be repaired.
- It was reported that the lighting at the entryway at the corner of R. H. Johnson and Grand was not working properly. Upon checking it out, it was determined that there was electricity to this area so the next step would be to check all bulbs and replace all of those not working.
- We asked for a proposal from a pest control company to assist us with the woodpecker problems at Beardsley.
- We are working on diffusing some of the lighting on the Great Lawn which is interfering with some performances.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Feb. 06 featuring singer/guitarist Allan Walper.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Feb. 12. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Join us on Feb. 14 at 6 p.m. out on the RHJ Great Lawn for Happy Hour! Entertainment is provided by John Gamber, who was the opening act for The Drifters, The Tokens, Jay and the Americans and more many years ago in the Valley.
- Our next Top Hat series of events on Thursday, Feb. 08 features The Missouri Opry at the Palm Ridge Facility. There are two shows, 3:00 & 7:00 p.m. A limited number to tickets remain and can be purchased through the SCW Box Office Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. or on our website at www.suncitywest.com.
- The 40th Anniversary Lizard Scavenger Hunt is proving to be extremely popular. From Jan. 15 through Feb. 15 many will attempt to locate all the colorful Lizards hidden throughout the Sun City West Rec. Centers Activity Centers Club Rooms, Walking Trails and Golf Courses. This event will be wrapped up on Sunday, Feb. 18 beginning 4 p.m. on the RHJ Great Lawn.
- We have several events scheduled in celebration of Sun City West’s 40th Check out our Upcoming List of Events attached to this report for all 40th Anniversary Events scheduled throughout the month of February.
- Our 40th Anniversary Parade begins at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, Feb. 19 along Meeker Blvd. The actual Parade Route goes from R. H. Johnson/Meeker Blvds. to Beardsley Road and Beardsley Park. Road closures will be in effect starting at 7 a.m. There are 70 parade entries from local businesses and clubs with music and more.
- Kristie has had an email address generated to gather information on comments and suggestions regarding plans for the new Dog Park. Anyone with questions or suggestions regarding the Dog Park can send an email to email@example.com.
- We will be meeting with ARC regarding management of the Paint Booth.
- There will be a meeting this Wednesday for those in the 40th Anniversary Parade.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $524.
- To date 45 attended our Big Bowl Party being held on Sunday, February 4.
- Add another 300 game to our list! Congratulations go out to Leo Matteucci from the Classic League for a perfect game!
- Our next Spring Arts and Craft Fair Meeting is on Thursday, Feb. 15 at the Lecture Hall.
- Another “Cut the Cord” Program has been scheduled for 12:00 p.m. on Thursday, March 8 in the R. H. Johnson Social Hall. All people on the waiting list will be notified.
- Our next Chat with Local Authors features Stacy Andrews who writes children’s books as “Anastacia”. She will be greeting Sun City West residents in the Library, Tuesday, Feb. 6 between 10 am and noon.
- Friends of the Library Membership Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, Feb. 8 at 9:30 a.m. at the Library.
- The Library’s Sun City West History Display Memory Lane opened last Thursday and runs the whole month of February in Celebration of the 40th Anniversary of Sun City West!
- Virtual Reality continues to be very popular. We are now taking reservations for sessions in April. Sign up and see what all the excitement is about!
- The Rec. Center News deadline was last Friday.
- The Our Neighborhood Network (ONN) will be offering a series of speakers on different topics on selected Monday’s. All seminars will be in the SCW Foundation Webb Room at 14465 R. H. Johnson Blvd. Classes are free but you must call to register (623-207-1703). Seminars include:
- Monday Feb. 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Transportation Options for the Northwest Valley
- Monday, March 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Making the Most of Limited Resources: Tips for You and Your Neighbors.
- Monday, March 19, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – It could Happen to You: Don’t Leave Your Loved Ones Guessing.
- As Sun Health celebrates the 30 Year Anniversary of the Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, you are invited to join us for a Special Presentation with Legendary Football Coach Lou Holtz on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018 from 10:00 to 11:30 am at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is open to the public. Registration is not required.
- Be sure to visit our Facebook Page if you’d like to participate in our 40th Anniversary Trivia Contest. Beginning Feb. 01, there will be a different question every other day through Feb. 19. All correct answers each day will be entered into a drawing for a prize which includes tickets to the Arizona Renaissance Fair. There will be 10 prizes awarded. We’d like to hear from you!
- We’ve hired Wright Engineering to do an evaluation to tell us what is feasible and what is not regarding solar energy projects.
- Tony is working with staff to generate the Capital Budget for FY 18/19.
- Golf revenue is up over $100,000 for January and up 4,000 in rounds. The month of February, however, is off to a bit of a slow start.
- We begin our 5 minute radio spot on KSCW radio on Friday at 3:00 p.m. Hope you will tune in to listen!
- Golf Maintenance personnel finished up greens aerification at Pebblebrook and Stardust Golf Courses. All seven courses have now been aerified.
- We have been getting many applications for employment recently and many are coming from the Golf Maintenance Departments of other local communities. In the past we’ve usually had to struggle to put ads out and recruit for our employment openings.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Feb. 6 – Singer/guitarist Allan Walper who is new to our talent line-up.
Feb. 13 – The great voice of singer/keyboardist Bill Ciccone.
Feb. 20 – The Sin Twisters with singers June, Maureen and Suzanne. This is a new twist for the gals.
Feb. 27 – Singer/guitarist Jody Yeoman will showcase a variety of great tunes.
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Feb 12 & 26 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed, Feb 14 & 28 HAPPY HOUR Both shows are free and kick off at 6 p.m. Happy Hours are open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. BYOB and snacks, however, coffee and ice will be provided. Be sure to bring your own chairs. No pets, service animals only.
Feb 14 John Gamber stands 6-foot 4- inches tall – most would say that is big. But what is even bigger is John’s voice. He has a fantastic voice that has been heard in the Valley for years. For those who were here when the Skye restaurant was open John was the opening act for The Drifters, The Tokens, Jay and the Americans and more. Come and here John’s very unique and entertaining performance.
Feb 28 Jody Yeomans and John Hodgson Jody Yeomans is a singersongwriter guitar-banjo player who sprinkles his performances with stories and humor. His upbeat performance will leave you smiling. He’s a full-time resident of Sun City West and enjoys playing and singing for friends and acquaintances. We think you’ll consider him a friend by the end of the show. John Hodgson brings an international flair and humor to his performances having started his music journey in Montreal, Canada, later migrating west to Vancouver, followed by London, England; Omaha, Neb.; and finally Arizona. He enjoys performing all genres of music including rock, pop, folk, Irish, and country and has recorded three Irish albums
Fri Feb 2 Cruise Ship Series-THE DOO WAH RIDERS, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!
Thu Feb 8 Top Hat Series – THE MSSOURI OPRY, 3 pm & 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, The Missouri Opry’s “Back to the Fifties” show’s goal is to generate spontaneous fun! They present great ‘50s and ‘60s rock ‘n’ roll hits with an energetic live performance featuring the music of Jerry Lee Lewis, Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, The Beatles, Rick Nelson, Paul Anka, The Everly Brothers, Fats Domino, Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Bill Haley and The Comets, Bobby Darin, The Everly Brothers, The Ventures and many more. A limited amount of tickets remain. Tickets can be purchased at our website www.suncitywest.com or at our Box Office located at the RH Johnson Rec Center, Mon-Fri 8 am – 3pm.
Join Sun City West in celebrating 40 years
JAN. 15-FEB. 15 Lizard Scavenger Hunt throughout Sun City West
FEB. 1-28 Sun City West Memory Lane, R.H. Johnson Library
THU FEB. 15 40th Anniversary Dinner, 5:30 p.m., Palm Ridge, The 40th Anniversary Dinner will be at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Feb. 15, at Palm Ridge. Tickets are on sale at the Box Office and online at suncitywest.com. Doors open at 5 p.m. Cost is $40 per person or $300 for a table of eight. Dinner will be catered by Casey’s Catering and will feature: rosemary chicken breast in a lemon cream sauce; herb and olive oil roasted potatoes; bacon-infused green beans; spring mix salad with feta cheese, almonds and cranberries with a raspberry vinaigrette; assorted dinner rolls; iced tea, coffee, assorted dessert bar; two drink tickets per person: domestic beer or wine. Cocktail hour will start at 5:30 p.m. with musical entertainment from West Valley Jazzet. Dinner will be served at 6:30. Following the delicious meal, local historian Edson Allen will cover the history of Sun City West from “Lizard Acres to Lush Oasis.”
FRI FEB. 16 40th Anniversary Lecture, 10 a.m., Palm Ridge Summit Ball Room Area residents have an enviable opportunity to hear one of Arizona’s renowned storytellers at a free event right in their own backyard. Lisa Schnebly Heidinger, a native Arizonan and great-granddaughter of Sedona Schnebly, for whom the city of Sedona is named, presents “The Dawn of Sun City West” at 10 a.m. Friday, Feb. 16, in the Palm Ridge Summit Hall, 13800 W. Deer Valley Drive. This event is free and open to the public. As the author of “Arizona: 100 Years Grand,” Schnebly Heidinger is uniquely qualified to discuss Arizona’s history. She will talk about the early days of Sun City West, and how the community grew up against the backdrop of the Valley of the Sun.
SAT FEB. 17 5K Run/Walk, 8 a.m., Stardust Golf Course we are planning a 40th Anniversary 5K walk/run beginning at 8 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 17. A link to registration can be found online at member.suncitywest.com. The 40th anniversary 5K is open to residents of all communities and will be a rain-or-shine event. Cost is $35 after Feb. 1. Day of the event registration is $40. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to the American Heart Association. All registered participants, 18- and-older, will receive a free race T-shirt, race bib, timing chip and post-race snacks. Runners and walkers will begin and end on the front 9 at Stardust Golf Course, 12702 W. Stardust Blvd. Participants will enjoy the beautiful golf course route. Here is the race schedule: Friday, Feb. 16: 4 to 5:30 p.m., packet pick-up at Stardust Golf Course parking lot. Saturday, Feb. 17 (event day): • 7 to 7:45 a.m., late packet pick-up at Stardust Golf Course parking lot. • 8 a.m., runners begin race. Awards will be presented to the top male and female racers in a variety of age brackets. Wear comfortable walking or running shoes and sun protection. No pets will be allowed to participate in the race or in the park. Spectators are welcome. There will be no parking at Stardust Golf Course. Participants are asked to park at Beardsley Rec Center, where a shuttle will be available. For information, contact Julie Shawcross, Assistant Manager Recreation: Events, at 623-544- 6583 or Julie.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bowling,9 a.m.-4 p.m., Sports Pavilion, The Sports Pavilion will have a 40- cent special from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Everything will cost 40 cents – games, snacks, soda and hot dogs! First 200 customers will receive a gift from our sponsor Columbia Par Car! What’s a Sun City West celebration without a golf tournament? The sold-out golf tournament will be at noon, Saturday, Feb. 17, at Stardust Golf Course. Food, prizes and a commemorative tee gift will be provided to all players.
Golf, noon, Stardust Golf Course – SOLD OUT
Concert in the Park featuring the Southwest Surfers, 5 p.m., Beardsley Park After bowling, golfing and a 5K run/walk, kick back and enjoy the Southwest Surfers at 5 p.m., Saturday, Feb. 17, at Beardsley Park. Tickets are $15 per person and are on sale at the R.H. Johnson Box Office. Gates open at 3 p.m. Full concessions will be available for purchase with food from Chick-fil-A. The Southwest Surfers, Arizona’s premier Beach Boys tribute band, has been providing a fun and entertaining musical experience to sellout crowds since 2009. The group takes pride in re-creating the Beach Boys sounds and style, giving their fans more than great music: It’s an interactive show that lights up smiles and has fans dancing in the aisles and singing to every song.
SUN FEB. 18 Scavenger wrap up & concert featuring String Fever, 4 p.m., R.H. Johnson Great Lawn, Lizards will run amok in Sun City West through Feb. 15. The colorful reptiles will be spread out throughout the Recreation Centers of Sun City West golf courses, activity centers, club windows and facilities. This is a free adventure and those interested can download it from our website or pick it up at the R.H. Johnson Box Office . Enjoy the Lizard Scavenger Hunt wrap up with a concert featuring Stringfever from 4 to 6 p.m. Sunday, Feb. 18, at the R.H. Johnson Great Lawn. The concert is free and no tickets are required. BYOB, but no glass. Stringfever is comprised of brothers Giles, Ralph and Neal Broadbent and their cousin, Graham – four world class musicians playing five and six-stringed electric violins, viola and cello in a truly original show. Stringfever’s unique, acclaimed version of Ravel’s “Bolero” has all four playing on one cello simultaneously. Then they challenge the audience to play “Name That Tune” as they race through 20 of the best-loved film themes in one breathless arrangement. Their helter-skelter, 007 James Bond medley is an absolute killer. And the show ends with Stringfever’s breathtaking signature finale, “The History of Music … in 5 Minutes.”
MON FEB. 19 40th Anniversary Parade, 9 a.m., along Meeker Boulevard. Don’t miss the Sun City West 40th Anniversary Parade Monday, Feb. 19. Start time is 9 a.m. The parade route: R.H. Johnson/Meeker boulevards to Beardsley Road and Beardsley Park. Road closures will be in effect starting at 7 a.m. There will be more than 70 entries from local businesses and clubs with music and more. Parade Route:
MON FEB 19 Tommy Dorsey Orchestra with The FlyBoys, 3 p.m. & 7 p.m., Palm Ridge, Although Sun City West is a vibrant, progressive community that has grown and changed with the times, our 40th anniversary is the perfect time to stroll down memory lane and enjoy the nostalgia brought about when we hear music from the golden age of big bands and jazz. The warm sound of the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra will set the mood for the evening as the Rec Centers presents a classy evening of swing and jazz with the unique energy that only an orchestra can provide. Be a part of this special event marking our Ruby Anniversary. And as if a full-scale orchestra performance wasn’t enough, the evening will feature a special performance from London’s own The FlyBoys, a one-of-akind four-piece vocal group. Their sublime harmonies, reminiscent of The Four Freshmen and Take 6, will whisk you back to the 1930s and ‘40s – yet their vintage sound fuses with modern showmanship. The FlyBoys features world class performers from London’s West End who have appeared in shows such as “Evita,” “Spamalot,” “Mama Mia,” “Once,” “Ghost” and more. Performing timeless classics alongside their own brand of modern jazz and swing, they will give you a night you’ll never forget. If you’re looking for something special and memorable, the FlyBoys are it! The FlyBoys and the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra perform together for two shows, at 3 and 7 p.m. Monday, Feb. 19, at Palm Ridge. The price for both acts is just $35 per person, on sale at the Box Office or online at suncitywest.com. Doors open at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m.
Fri Feb 16 Cruise Ship Series – DAN NAIMAN & Dr. PRIYANKA WAHI, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!
THU Feb 22 Top Hat Series – THE INTERNATIONAL TENORS, 3 pm and 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, The 3 International Tenors is a tribute to some of the finest music in the world and features show-stopping performances celebrating the virtuoso and careers of Luciano Pavarotti, Andrea Bocelli, Enrico Caruso and others. This stirring show includes renditions of some of the most memorable songs ever written, like “Time to Say Goodbye,” “Ave Maria” and “Nessun Dorma.” Comprised of multiple genres and styles, including opera, musical theatre and pop opera, or as it’s sometimes called, POPERA, three singers from four very diverse backgrounds bring you an unforgettable experience. Tickets can be purchased at our website www.suncitywest.com or at our Box Office located at the RH Johnson Rec Center, Mon-Fri 8 am – 3pm.