Sun City West once again clocks in near the top of the best places to retire, this time for 2022!
The website Niche.com attributed Sun City West’s strong ranking to its affordability and community peacefulness, finishing just a step below leader Green Valley but ahead of Fountain Hills. (www.niche.com/places-to-live/search/best-places-to-retire/s/arizona/)
Overall, Sun City West was ranked on a comprehensive assessment of key factors considered by recent or soon-to-be retirees.
According to Niche.com, which ranks communities and neighborhoods, this grade and ranking measures the appeal of an area for retirement by taking into account key factors such as weather, crime rates, residents 65 and older, housing costs, and access to amenities such as restaurants, golf courses, exercise facilities, and doctors.
The list includes not just retirement communities. Making the Top 10 are:
- Green Valley
- Sun City West
- Fountain Hills
- Catalina Foothills
- Sun City
- Paradise Valley
- Oro Valley
- Sun Lakes
- Fortuna Hills
Scottsdale scooted in as No. 11.
Factors considered in determining the ranking included:
- Retiree newcomers – the percent of residents 65 years old and over who moved into the area within the last year.
- Average sunny days per year – the average number of sunny days per year, assigned at the county level. When data was not available, the average of nearby counties was used.
- Cost of living – based on the consumer price index and access to affordable housing.
- Crime and safety grade – based on violent and property crime rates.
- Residents 65-years old and over – percentage of residents aged 65 and over.
- Access to doctors – a measure of both the proximity (per square mile) and the availability (per capita) of offices of physicians.
- Access to restaurants – a measure of both the proximity (per square mile) and the availability (per capita) of Full-Service Restaurants.
- Higher education rate – percentage of residents who have received a bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Housing grade – based on home values, property taxes, housing costs, local schools, and more.
- Retirees below poverty.
- Winter average low temperature.
- Winter average snowfall.
- Access to golf.
- Access to grocery stores.
- Access to libraries.
- Access to recreation/fitness facilities.
For more information, visit niche.com/places-to-live/rankings/methodology.