Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: July 24, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – July 24, 2017
- H. Johnson Sports Pavilion Shuffleboard Acoustical Ceiling Tile project scope of work is completed. Invitations for Bid were sent out to vendors on 7/21/17.
- The R. H. Johnson Phase 4 Enhancement Project update: Roof bubbler drains were extended. We hope to continue pouring concrete today but that will be dependent upon the weather forecast. Rain will delay this project a bit more.
- The R. H. Johnson Social Hall Flooring Screen and Seal project was completed on July 18. Full activities resumed on July 22.
- H. Johnson Library Carpet and Paint Project started today, 7-24-17. We expect to be completed with this project on August 10.
- The converting of Lollipop lights to LED lighting at Beardsley Park Scope of Work is completed. Invitation to Bid was sent out to vendors on 7/18/17.
- Dig Studios will have the plans for the R. H. Johnson Tennis Courts ready for Staff approval by July 25. Once approved, we will take the plans to Maricopa County for their review.
- Facility Maintenance continues changing out the electrical connections on golf course drinking fountains.
- There is an issue with the large, heavy wooden doors at the Library men’s and women’s restrooms closing too quickly. We will look into having these adjusted/corrected.
- Saturday’s $1 Special brought in $257, Sunday’s Special brought in $425 and Tuesday’s Bowling Special brought in $272 in revenue.
- The Sports Pavilion will be closing for Summer Maintenance on Monday, July 31 and will reopen on Monday, August 14.
- Our Summer Series events continue on Monday, August 14 and Tuesday, August 15 featuring the Dry Heat Band at 7 p.m. at the Stardust Theater. Tickets are $10 per person and can be purchased online at suncitywest.com or at the R. h. Johnson Box office from 8 a.m.to 3 p.m.
- Tickets for the Frank Sinatra Show were sold out in 27 minutes after they were made available for sale.
- The “puzzlers” have finished this year’s jigsaw puzzle at 3:15 p.m. on Wednesday, July 19. The puzzle remained on display for only one day because the folding tables were scheduled to go back to the Social Hall that Friday. The 18,000-piece puzzle project began on May 3 and took 1,759.5 man-hours to complete. Great job everyone!
- The library is now closed for new interior paint and carpeting. The temporary Library outlet located at the Stampede Meeting Room of the Men’s Club will be open most Tuesdays through Fridays from 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- We continue to prepare for the annual Audit scheduled to take place July 24 through August 11. The 401K Auditors will be here Tuesday, July 25 through Thursday, July 27.
- Online Billing is live and working. Our members now have the ability to make On-Line Payments.
- Center News Asst. Michael will be moving to the IT Server Room temporarily while the library is being painted and carpeted.
- Virtual Reality will be moved to Palm Ridge August 4, 11 and 18.
- The deadline for the September Rec. Center News is August 4. This issue will include a section dedicated to the R. H. Johnson Pool Project.
- The Village Store will be closing on Monday, 7/31/17 and reopen on Tuesday, 9//5/17.
- We will be starting our inventory at the Village Store over the summer and complete it prior to reopening.
- Stardust Golf Course reopens on Tuesday, July 25 following summer maintenance.
- Pebblebrook Golf Course closes Thursday, July 2 for summer maintenance and reopens on Tuesday, August 1.
- Reminder: Grandview Golf Course closed down for summer maintenance on Monday, May 29 will reopen after fall overseeding on October 17. The Bunker Project is back on schedule. Completion date for the Bunker Project is 9/8/17.
- We are still cleaning up after the storm damage from last week at Pebblebrook and Grandview.
- We’ve completed the Landscape Maintenance Project at the Library after a short delay due to storm damage cleanup.
- We are down 15 employees in the Golf Maintenance Division. We continue placing ads in the local papers, on internet sites and with the Dept. of Economic Security as well as with other venues.
- An irrigation computer went down at Stardust this weekend. This equipment is pretty well done and will have to be replaced.
- We received anywhere from 2/10 of an inch to ½ inch of rain at our golf courses this weekend.
- Rounds for the month of July so far are down about 350 for the same time period last year and about $5,000 in revenue over prior year. We attribute most of this to the continued excessive heat and the monsoon weather we’ve been experiencing.
- 359 golfers have participated in our Summer Golf Special (2/20, 3/40. 4/50) since it started in June. 179 of that number is for the month of July so far.
- HR will be assisting the auditors with information for the upcoming annual audit.
- We are working to ensure that all new labor and employment laws are included in our procedures and properly followed. The Employee Handbook is being updated as well.
- We are in the process of calculating our loss due to the storm damage last week.
Upcoming Events: July – Aug 2017
Mon & Tue Aug 14 & 15 THE DRY HEAT BAND, 7 pm at the Stardust Theater, The Dry Heat Band is from the Northwest Valley area of Phoenix and performs a variety of music from western, country, folk, bluegrass, old standards and gospel. They style their performances to the entertainment needs of the audience, using a bit of humor, some interaction and audience participation. Tickets are $10/person and can be purchased online at suncitywest.com or at the RH Johnson Box Office 8 am – 3pm.
Wed Aug 23 SIZZLING SINATRA SUMMER SPECIAL, 5 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Tickets for the cabaret-style show are just $5 per person and go on sale July 18 at the R.H. Johnson Box Office or online at suncitywest.com. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and the event is open to the public. Beverages will be available or BYOB and bring your own snacks. The melodies. The music. The romance. Mr. Cimorelli will take you back to a time when nightclubs sizzled with hot rhythms and cool lyrics. And one man reigned above it all – Frank Sinatra. Through the musical styling of noted vocalist Frank Cimorelli, that classic sound fills the air once again. You can experience these unforgettable songs sung by an unforgettable voice. Sip martinis while being serenaded with the best loved classics. Frank Cimorelli is an accomplished actor and singer. He is a member of the Screen Actors Guild and has several film and television credits. He has starred in many musical stage productions including “Guys and Dolls,” “Singing in the Rain,” and “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” Cimorelli’s tribute brings Sinatra back to life in what is being called a “must see” show.
Look for the soft opening of the RH Johnson Swim and Fitness Complex on August 28th.
The GRAND OPENING is scheduled for the weekend of Sept 16th.