Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: January 8, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – January 8, 2018
- Kuentz Craft Rooms #3, #4 and #5 have been completed as of 12/21/17.
- We apologize for the cones and barricades in the parking lots of the RHJ Library and Sports Pavilion. The contractor had an unforeseen problem which delayed the Parking Lot Lighting Project which should be back on track within the next two weeks or so.
- We are waiting for the Fire Permit on the ARC Building project (Automobile Restoration Club). Once the permit is received we can begin work on this project.
- The County Variance for the new signage at RHJ passed. The Variances for the Golf Courses are scheduled to be considered tomorrow. All plans are out to bid.
- We have rented a lift so we can begin painting the exterior top half of the Palm Ridge Recreation Building. Once Palm Ridge is completed we will begin exterior painting at the Kuentz Facility.
- We will be inspecting the Grandview Parking Lot to determine what we can do to make repairs to extend the life of it before its scheduled removal and replacement in FY 18/19. Some of the areas needing attention are significant enough that they need to be taken care of now.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Jan. 9 featuring guitarist Slim Nelson.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Jan. 8. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Join us on Jan. 10 out on the RHJ Great Lawn for Happy Hour! Entertainment is provided by Bleu Passion brining you an upbeat array of music with a five-piece band, including genres of classic rock, blues and a touch of jazz.
- There are still tickets available for the 3 pm show Liverpool Legends. The 7 pm show is sold out. Tickets are $25 per person at the SCW Box Office.
- We have 50 entries in our parade for the 40th
- Our next Top Hat event features “Those British Girls” on Jan. 13 at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center at 3 & 7 pm. Come along for a hit-filled concert that takes you on a journey through the music of the UK in the 1960’s! Tickets are $15 and are available at the SCW Box Office.
- Save the date! At 6 p.m. join us on Saturday, Jan. 13 for “Hawaii in January with the Paradise Island Dancers! The entertainers will perform a variety of island-inspired dances, including the ever-popular Fire Dance. Hawaiian-themed concessions will be available for purchase. This is a free event for SCW residents and their invited guests. You are welcome to bring your own lawn chair.
- Join us on Jan. 18 at 9 a.m. in the RHJ Social Hall for our next Newcomers Event. This is an opportunity for new residents and longer time residents to learn about what Sun City West has to offer. Residents can visit with SCW Clubs and Community Service groups from 9 am to 9:30 am. The Presentation beings at 9:30 a.m.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $673.
- Sign up for our Big Bowl Party being held on Sunday, February 4.
- Congratulations go out to Jim Montgomery who bowled a 300 game last week. Way to go Jim!
- Sales at the Village Store in 2017 are about 40% higher than those recorded in 2006 and continue to be strong.
- The Village Store employees welcome Jack Cuddie to their staff!
- New York Times Bestselling Author Brad Taylor will visit Sun City West on January 9, 2018 at 12:00 pm in the Lecture Hall.
- Thirty kids and adults attended our Winter Story Time on December 27. We received many nice compliments on this event.
- The deadline for the February Edition of the Rec. Center News was Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. The front page will be dedicated to the 40th Anniversary of SCW which we hope you will enjoy!
- Our Web Master revised the front page of our website at scw.com making it a mobile friendly site. The first banner showcases our 40th Anniversary Events.
- We are co-sponsoring two upcoming events:
- AZ District 8 Candidate’s Forum to be held on Saturday, January 20, 2018 in Summit Hall A & B of Palm Ridge from 10 a.m. to noon for those running for the vacated Senate Seat formerly held by Trent Franks.
- As Sun Health celebrates the 30 Year Anniversary of the Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, you are invited to join us for a Special Presentation with Legendary Football Coach Lou Holtz on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018 from 10:00 to 11:30 am at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is open to the public. Registration is not required.
- Expect to see some full-age ads for SCW in the Independent News in the near future.
- Any contact information collected for this year’s election of Governing Board Candidates will be added to the data base to be used for the Election in 2019. There will be no need to hold an election this year as only 3 candidates returned petitions to run for a seat on the Governing Board. These candidates will be appointed to fill the three vacant seats on the SCW Governing Board.
- The IT Department is updating its Five-Year and Capital Plans.
- APF Fees for Dec. 2017 were about the same number as were reported in Dec. 2016 (554 vs, 518).
- Greens Aerification will begin in the next couple of weeks. Course closures are not necessary as this is done by using a 3/8” tine to create holes in the greens to aerify and once the greens are rolled no one will notice it was even done. There will be no impact on golf rounds.
- The Echo Mesa well pump failed. We estimate that it will cost about $30,000 to replace failed parts. It is a 998 ft. well and the bowl at the bottom is worn out.
- There are reports that we will receive rain on Tuesday, possibly into Wednesday of this week.
- For the first week of January 2018, we saw golf revenue go up $12,000 and rounds go up by 400.
- 80 golfers have signed up for our 40th Anniversary Tournament that follows the 5K Run. This Tournament on Saturday, February 17, 2018 is SOLD OUT.
- We continue with AED and CPR Training for our Players Assistants.
- We have 3 vacant PA positions we are working to fill.
- HR Staff continues working on a lot of end-of-the-year projects needing to be taken care of as we welcome in the New Year.
- As of Jan 2, 2018, we started receiving Chartered Club Financials for auditing.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Jan . 9 – Singer/guitarist with Marce Fast
Jan. 16 – Back in Time with singers Byron, Dave and Neil
Jan. 23 – Singer/guitarist with Stewart Richline
Jan. 30 – Singer Jerry Keizer
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Jan 8 & Jan 22 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed, Jan 10 & Jan 24 HAPPY HOUR Both shows are free and kick off at 6 p.m. Happy Hours are open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. BYOB and snacks, however, coffee and ice will be provided. Be sure to bring your own chairs. No pets, service animals only.
JAN. 10 – BLEU PASSION Bleu Passion brings an upbeat array of music with a five-piece band, including genres of classic rock, blues, and a touch of jazz.
JAN. 24 – DESERT SKY Desert Sky is a family oriented, diverse, high-energy vocal dance band consisting of seasoned musicians with more than 30 years each of studio and stage experience in classic country and rock music. Beginning with Mark and Doc, having performed together since the ’80s, bringing on John has rounded out the rhythm end of the band and its dynamic vocals. The band is comprised of Mark Doyle, vocals, drums and percussion; Mark Hollingsworth, vocals, guitars and bass; John Hodgson, vocals, bass and guitars.
Tue Jan 9 LIVERPOOL LEGENDS, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, 3 pm & 7 pm. Doors will open at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $25 per person and are on sale at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd., and online at suncitywest.com. Liverpool Legends are four incredibly talented musicians and actors hand-picked by Louise Harrison – sister of the late George Harrison of The Beatles. 7 pm show is SOLD OUT! Tickets are still available for the 3 pm show.
Thu Jan 13 THOSE BRITISH GIRLS, Top Hat Series, Palm Ridge Recreation, 3 & 7 pm. Those British Girls is a hit-filled concert that takes you on a journey through the music of the UK’s Ready Steady Female Star vocalists of the 1960s through to the chart-topping and record-breaking superstars of today. Britain was the world’s undisputed pop culture hub of the 1960s, and although male groups dominated the UK charts, each of the top four recording labels had their own female superstars including: Petula Clark, Shirley Bassey, Dusty Springfield, The Spice Girls, Annie Lennox, Amy Winehouse and, of course, Adele. Get ready for a night out where the boys take a backseat, and the ladies take center stage! Those tickets are $15 each and are available at the box office from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday, or online at suncitywest.com. For more information, call the Box Office at 623-544-6093.
Sat Jan 13 HAWAII IN JANUARY with the PARADISE ISLANDS DANCERS, 6 pm, The Great Lawn at RH Johnson Recreation Center. A full line-up of unique entertainment is planned for 2018, beginning with a performance by the Paradise Island Dancers on Saturday, Jan. 13, at 6 p.m. The entertainers will perform a variety of island-inspired dances, including the ever-popular Fire Dance. Hawaiian-themed concessions will be available for purchase. Throughout 2018, look for events such as “Bawdy Blues and BBQ,” “Caribbean Nights” (with a steel drum band), “A Little Bit Country Chili Cook-Off,” “Beer, Brats and Oompah,” the Phoenix Children’s Chorus Holiday Concert and more. All RHJ Great Lawn Cultural Series entertainment is free to Sun City West residents and guests. Tickets are not required. Seating is first-come, first-served and lawn chairs can be placed on the lawn prior to the performances. Attendees may BYOB and concessions will be available for purchase at many of the events. Look for details about RHJ Happy Hour and the RHJ Great Lawn Cultural Series in the Rec Center News, on the website at suncitywest.com and at the RHJ Box Office.
Thu Jan 18 NEWCOMERS COFFEE, 9 am RH Johnson Social Hall. This is an opportunity for new residents to learn about Sun City West chartered clubs and get acquainted with all the community has to offer. The doors open at 9 a.m. for residents to visit with the clubs and service groups until introduction of staff are made at 9:30 and the PowerPoint presentation to follow. Coffee and pastry will be served. If you have never attended this event, are a current resident and want to reacquaint yourself with all that Sun City West has to offer, please join us. For questions, call Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Fri Jan 19 CRUISE SHIP SERIES-TOM & SHONDRA, 7 pm Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!
Fri Jan 26 JANUARY DANCE with Johnny K and Kompany, 7 pm at Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!
I cannot find pool hours for children anywhere on this site. It seems very unfriendly to me. I also am trying to find a way to put money on my rec card for guests. Staff have told me to go to the website and it is easy to do – not today for me!! Very frustrated.
Hello John, we’re very sorry you had trouble finding the children’s pool hours on our website. They are 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at R.H. Johnson; 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Palm Ridge (outdoor); and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Beardsley. The best way to put member credit on your rec card is to call or come in to Member Services 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday (closed President’s Day). They are located at R.H. Johnson and the main number is 623-544-6001. On weekends or holidays, you can buy guest passes for the day for visitors at any monitor’s station (credit card only). Again sorry for any inconvenience.