Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: February 26, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – February 26, 2018
- The Kuentz Westernaires Cabinetry installation has been completed.
- The signage Project for the three entrances at the R. H. Johnson Facility and the Corner Signage demolition was completed 2/23/18.
- The Beardsley Mini-Golf Turf Replacement Project is scheduled to begin 3/5/18 with an expected completion date of 3/9/18.
- The ARC Paint Booth Addition construction is in progress.
- H. Johnson parking lot lighting project is in progress.
- The pressure switch failed at Kuentz pool and needs to be replaced. The vendor is currently trying to locate a replacement part and we hope to have the heating system repaired by next week.
- The vendor attempted to fix a water leak in the R. H. Johnson Pool filtration system which required us to shut down the water heater. The repair on the water leak did not go as planned and the leak continues. We’ve decided to put the repair on hold to get the pool back open and the water back up to temperature which is currently at 80 degrees and rising.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Feb. 27 featuring singer/guitarist Jody Yeomans.
- Join us for Happy Hour at 6 p.m. on February 28 on the Great Lawn. This event is open to SCW residents and their invited guests. Coffee and ice are provided. BYOB and snacks and a lawn chair if you’d like.
- The 40th Anniversary Parade had 970 participants in it! Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to make Sun City West’s 40th anniversary such a success!
- At least two of our Chartered Club Officers email addresses were targeted by an email scam in which they received fake email solicitations. We have talked to the Clubs about being aware of solicitations for money or invoice payments and how to take measures to safeguard their email accounts. We have encouraged Club Officers to pass this information on down to their Club members as well. Nothing on the Rec. Centers’ system has been compromised and none of our email systems have been hacked.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $840.
- We had two more 300 games bowled at the Sports Pavilion. This makes 18 to date. Congratulation go out to Jim Mahoney (his third in the last four months) and to Chris Rapp. Great job guys!
- We sold 350 hotdogs at the Sports Pavilion the day of the 40th Anniversary Parade.
- We are gearing up for our next Spring Arts and Craft Fair which is being held on Saturday, March 17 from 8 am to 2 pm at the R.H. Johnson Facility.
- Lisa Schnebly Heidinger present her talk o February 16 to 563 people. Although her talk was light on Sun City West History, we received many positive comments and requests to invite her to speak again.
- Best-selling author J. A. Jance will present a Book Talk and Signing at Palm Ridge on March 20. The library began distributing complimentary tickets on Wednesday February 21.
- Library Director Jane Kauzlaric presented library outreach to the Computer Club Mac Users Group last Friday, February 23.
- Author Isabella Maldonado is a former police captain who now writes police mysteries set in Phoenix. She will be attending a book talk and signing on Wednesday, February 28 at 10:00 a.m. in the Lecture Hall. It should be a lively program with displays of police equipment and fun giveaways.
- The Our Neighborhood Network (ONN) will be offering a series of speakers on different topics on selected Monday’s. All seminars will be in the SCW Foundation Webb Room at 14465 R. H. Johnson Blvd. Classes are free but you must call to register (623-207-1703). Seminars include:
- Monday, March 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Making the Most of Limited Resources: Tips for You and Your Neighbors.
- Monday, March 19, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – It could Happen to You: Don’t Leave Your Loved Ones Guessing.
- The Friends of the Library Volunteer Breakfast was held on Monday, February 26. What better way to thank all of those who work so hard make the R. H. Johnson Library the great place that it is!
- Today is District 8 Primary Election day to fill the empty senate seat in the District.
- The TORCH Classes Facility Tours take place on Thursday, March 1 beginning 1 p.m.
- Tony continues gathering information from staff to finish up the Proposed Capital Budget for FY 18/19 which will be presented to B&F Committee and the Governing Board.
- Golf revenue is 5% below last year for the same time. This is due in part to 1 ½ hour frost delays for 6 of the last 7 days. We expect this to continue for the remainder of the week.
- 73 golfers participated in the National Desert Hickory Tournament organized by Ken Holtz.
- 138 golfers signed up for the Arizona Senior Stroke Play here in SCW. This event takes place on March 3 & 4 at Grandview Golf Course.
- We are getting ready for this year’s Million Dollar Hole-In-One event March 14 through March 17. The Million Dollar Hole-In-One Contest will be held daily at Echo Mesa GC driving range and is sponsored by Desert Golf Cars. Proceeds will benefit our local radio station KSCW (103.1). You do not have to get a hole–in–one to be a winner as there will be prizes daily.
- Frost delays have been averaging 1 ½ hours each morning and we expect this to be the case through the rest of the week.
- We are preparing courses for the Arizona Senior Stroke Play Tournament next weekend and the Arizona Senior Olympics the following weekend.
- We have 10 palm trees left to skin on R. H. Johnson Blvd. There is noticeably less palm tree debris on the ground and in the streets with them having been skinned.
- We met with a security consultant last week who will provide us with a list of steps we could take to improve Association security. Staff will be reviewing this list to make a determination which items we would like to focus on.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our 7th Season high-lighting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Feb. 27 – Singer/guitarist Jody Yeoman will showcase a variety of great tunes.
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Feb 26 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed, Feb 28 HAPPY HOUR Both shows are free and kick off at 6 p.m. Happy Hours are open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. BYOB and snacks, however, coffee and ice will be provided. Be sure to bring your own chairs. No pets, service animals only.
Feb 28 Jody Yeomans and John Hodgson Jody Yeomans is a singer-songwriter guitar-banjo player who sprinkles his performances with stories and humor. His upbeat performance will leave you smiling. He’s a full-time resident of Sun City West and enjoys playing and singing for friends and acquaintances. We think you’ll consider him a friend by the end of the show. John Hodgson brings an international flair and humor to his performances having started his music journey in Montreal, Canada, later migrating west to Vancouver, followed by London, England; Omaha, Neb.; and finally Arizona. He enjoys performing all genres of music including rock, pop, folk, Irish, and country and has recorded three Irish albums.