Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: July 15, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – July 15, 2019
- RHJ Social Hall Hardwoods – Screen and Seal began 7/15 and is expected to be completed 7/21.
- RHJ Parking Lot 3 – The Traffic Calming Project is in progress beginning with curbing extensions and installation on 7/16/19.
- The RH Johnson Small Dog Park Upgrade and new Cell Addition – This project was completed on 7/15/19. The Small Dog Park is scheduled to reopen on July 29 after Facility Enhancement Sidewalks are completed and landscaping takes root.
- The RH Johnson Facilities Enhancement Program – The Remove and Replace Project in front of the Tennis Facility Entrance and Small Dog Park is in progress. Expect this project to be completed by the end of this week.
- Beardsley Aquatics Pool and Spa Liner – Liner demolition will be completed today and plumbing replacement is in progress per Maricopa County requirements. Additionally, we found that we will also need to replace the two exercise rails in the pool as per Maricopa County Code Enforcement.
- Beardsley Card Room Renovation on Rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4 progress continues with trim paint, mirrors and electrical trim. Room No. 4, Yoga is almost complete and looks great.
- Beardsley Recreation Center – General Energy Conversation – The Arts & Crafts Building is 75% complete The Porcelain and Clay Club Rooms are in progress. The entire Beardsley Recreation Center LED Lighting Conversion is scheduled to be completed by July 31, 2019.
- The Beardsley Copper/Glass/Porcelain Rooms – Flooring installation is in progress this week.
- Desert Trails Pro Shop Wall signage – Sign installation was completed on 7/9/19
- Please be aware that there will be interruptions in the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot in the latter part of July. From July 22 through July 23 work begins at the top of the parking lot from the Sports Pavilion all the way down to the shared driveway near Fry’s Grocery Store. This area will not be accessible during this time. We ask that you please observe all traffic signs and avoid this area if possible.
- The A/C has been an issue at the Crooked Putter Restaurant. We are having someone come out for a second opinion, but we believe it is due to the 7 ½ ton unit not being large enough to handle the hot weather along with the heat load coming from the kitchen. We will make a determination as to how to correct the A/C problem once we receive all information.
- We put in a drain for the outside ice machine at Grandview to take care of water accumulation due to drippage.
- Desert Trails and Deer Valley Pro Shops all have new A/C Units installed.
- Facility Maintenance personnel were able to take care of several smaller repairs needing attention during the Palm Ridge shut down last month.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Staff is busy working on the signage and bulletin boards at the Beardsley Facility Card Rooms.
- Beardsley Pool is closed for major pool and spa renovations and reopens October 1, 2019.
- The Banner Health Toy Drive sponsored here at the Rec. Centers starts this next week. We have set out collection boxes at all four Recreation Centers.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- Our CC&R Department formally started on July 1, 2019. As of Monday, July 15 we have 75 open cases and there were 13 we were able to close. A wave of second letters will be mailed out this week. Things are going well with our software vendor SmartWebs and the CC&R mapping for Sun City West. We expect training on the new software to be scheduled later next week. For more information on CC&R’s take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- As of July 1, compared to same time last year: League revenue is up 5% and Open Play is up 4% with Bowling Revenue up 8% and Total Sports Pavilion Revenue up 8%.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $890.
- 49 Bowlers participated in our Senior Tournament held on July 14 at the Johnson Lanes. Dennis Klein won first prize at this event. Congratulations Dennis!
- The Lona King Tournament scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 can accept 150 bowlers. We currently have 75 registrations for this event.
- Village Store Summer hours for July are currently 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon. – Fri. and the Store is closed in August, scheduled to reopen the day after Labor Day, Sept. 3rd.
- June sales at the Village Store were 2% above last year’s numbers. July sales are also doing well.
- We continue to do the 6 Month Pulls of Club Items at the Village Store.
- At the Library, we continue working on the second 18,000-piece jigsaw puzzle, “at the Waterhole”, and it is proving to be more challenging than the first. All Sun City West residents are invited to help with the project during normal library hours, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library will hold a summer book sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Saturday, August 10 at the Social Hall (19803 R. H. Johnson Blvd., next to Fry’s Food). The Friends are accepting donations of books, jigsaw puzzles and games, DVDs and Blu-rays, music CDs, books on cassette and CD. Donations should be dropped off at the R.H. Johnson Library (13801 W. Meeker Blvd.) on the R.H. Johnson side of the building between 9 am and 3 pm, Tuesdays through Saturdays. Please do not leave donations outside the Library or in the library return boxes. All proceeds from the sale go directly toward purchasing new items for the library.
- We continue working on the Year End Report.
- CFO Peter Finelli along with Tim and Karen from his staff will be meeting this week to review candidate information on those who applied for the open Financial Analyst position.
- Annual Association Audit field work begins in late July. Association filings for 401K accounts, income statement and taxes must be completed by November 15.
- Pete Finelli has scheduled meetings with two of our cell-tower companies to discuss the renegotiation of our Agreements with them and plans on setting something up with the third company prior to expiration of that Agreement.
- Financial Accounting Manager Tim De Angelo was handling Capital Tracking in the absence of a CFO. Now that CFO Pete Finelli has been here a while, he has taken back Capital Tracking for the Association.
- In addition to their regular daily responsibilities, the Member Services Department continues to be busy taking new pictures of members and replacing old member cards and photos as required by the recently approved Guest Policy. They are now averaging between 200 – 250 new photos per day not including Fob photos.
- Membership developed a Medical Guest Pass. It is the only card that will allow unaccompanied guests access to Rec. Centers facilities. Anyone applying for the medical card is required to produce a letter from their doctor stating the reason they are unable to accompany and check in their guests and bring the letter into Member Services to apply for a Medical Guest Pass.
- For the first 15 days of July 2019 we processed 37 APF’s and no refunds. There are an additional 21 APF’s to be processed, minus 5 APF refunds, which will bring us to a total of 53 APF’s to date once they are in the computer. In July of 2018 there was a total of 106 APF Fees collected.
- We’ve currently received 54 inquiries through July 12. In 2018 for the entire month of July we had a total of 98 inquiries and at this point we are ahead when compared to last year.
- Individual tickets are available for our remaining Summer Series Program, the Dry Heat Band (8/6). Shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Check out our Sizzling Summer Series for July and August. Tickets are now on sale! Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Dan McCorison (SOLD OUT), With a Little Help From My Friends (SOLD OUT), Sentimental Journey and John Gamber. Check the Box Office for dates and times.
- Our Dive-In Movie at the R. H. Johnson Pool on Friday, July 12 was cancelled due to the windy conditions. We rescheduled “Aquaman” for this Friday, July 19 at dusk at the R. H. Johnson Pool. Our next Dive-In Movie, “The Meg”, is scheduled for July 26. No tickets are required for these events. This event is not open to anyone under the age of 16 as it is not within established children’s hours.
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Top Hat subscriptions for 2020 are available now. Please check with the Box Office.
- We are prepping for the upcoming 401K Audit in July. Also, we will be required to restate the Association 401K Plan this year.
- For the first two weeks of July, golf revenue is flat compared to last year but rounds are up 7%. which is very good considering we only had 5 courses open this summer and 6 courses were available for play last year.
- Trail Ridge Golf Course closes Thursday, July 18 for aerification and reopens on Tuesday, July 23.
- Starter Training on software changes recently made to TEI (Total E Integrated) Software went very well. 75% of our Starters attended training.
- Golf Operations staff is currently performing preventative maintenance on Association golf carts.
July Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Sizzling Summer – Dan McCorison||Tuesday, July 16, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
|Dive in Movie – The Meg||Friday, July 26, 2019||RHJ Pool||Dusk||No Tickets needed|
|Sizzling Summer – Beatles Tribute||Tuesday, July 30, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Summer Series||Dry Heat Band – 8/6||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer||Sentimental Journey||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer||John Gamber||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
Dive in Movie – We ended up having to cancel Aquaman due to high winds on Friday!
Working on rescheduling a day! I will get this out by today 7/15/19
Age limit for movies – we will not be allowing children in as it is not children’s hours. Age must be 16+
Dan McCorison- Tomorrow 7/16/19 – SOLD OUT
This will be held at the Stardust Theatre with the new sound system that has been installed. Looking forward to it.
July 15, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||436||62%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||689||98%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|