Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 13, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 13, 2018
- R. H. Johnson Rip ‘n Sew project complete 8-8-18.
- R. H. Johnson Social Hall Entry Project; Flooring installation in progress. Work is complete at the Social Hall on Thursday, 8-16-18 and we are on schedule to reopen Friday, 8-17-18.
- R. H. Johnson Sports Pavilion Shuffleboard Flooring Project completed 8-3-18.
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Phase 1; Forming sidewalks and we are on schedule fence installation.
- R.H. Johnson Tennis Phase 2; Lighting/Electrical and French Drain in the process of being installed.
- R. H. Johnson Tennis Restroom Addition; Concrete floor was completed on 8-8-18. Framing is in progress. We are on schedule for our Grand Opening Nov. 1 once Phase 1, Phase 2 and the Restroom Addition Projects are all completed.
- The ARC Paint Booth Project is underway. Building Frame Inspection passed on 8-9-18. Building Dry-in and Roof-Dry-in is in progress.
- Palm Ridge Roof Parapet Walls; the Activities Bldg. portion of this project is in progress.
- The Palm Ridge monitor station counter top installation is in progress.
- Palm Ridge Pool Deck; Pool Deck Surface preparation was completed 8-10-18. New flooring coating is in progress.
- Beardsley Park Restroom addition update: Foundation/Flatwork completed 8-8-18. Work on masonry walls is in progress. We expect to reopen restrooms the last week of September.
- Pebblebrook Golf Operations Remodel; Masonry work completed 8-8-18. We are painting the interior and flatwork is in progress.
- The R. H. Johnson Parking Lot 3 (Craft Village area) was completed 8-10-18. Sealing and restriping of the Administration area of the RHJ Parking lot begins August 16 or 17.
- The Facility Tours we offer to new and prospective members are very popular. Patte Smith has had between 19 & 33 people on each of the tours she’s headed last week which is very high for the summer months.
- Kristie will be working with Dori and Patte to revamp our Newcomers Orientation Program. We are talking about the possibility of shortening the presentation to allow for more time to visit the Chartered Clubs and Service Groups.
- A larger than usual number of people are coming in and booking 4 & 5 tours from our Tours and Scheduling Dept.
- Good News! We are working on signing a local celebrity to host one of our upcoming EXPLORE! Classes. Please watch for more details in the near future. This is one you will not want to miss!
- Kristie is checking into working with a local group who will be sponsoring a Farmer’s Market in the SCW Foundation parking lot from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. each Wednesday beginning October. 3 through April 6, 2019. They have offered the Rec. Centers a table each Wednesday at the Market. We will work with staff on rotating different attendees each week.
- Tickets go on sale for our Welcome Back Dance tomorrow 814-18 at the SCW Box Office or Online. Tickets are $12.00 each. The dance is from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Palm Ridge. Entertainment is provided by the “Rhythm Edition”.
- Tickets go on sale at the SCW Box Office or Online September 11 at 8 a.m. for our Oct. 26 Halloween Dance.
- Our Summer Series Event “MacDougal Street” scheduled today at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge has been sold out with 620 tickets being sold.
- The Sports Pavilion reopens today, Monday, August 13 following its closure for summer maintenance. The new flooring installation at the Shuffleboard Room turned out great!
- The Village Store is now closed until Tuesday, September 4, 2018. During this closure, the flooring was replaced, lighting is being reworked and the Store will receive a thorough cleaning while we are shut down. The new flooring was a good choice and looks great! Village Store computers will be reinstalled today.
- Two more Virtual Reality sessions were held last Friday. We are currently booked through the month of October.
- The SCW Writer’s Group has continued to grow during the summer which is unusual for library groups in general. We believe this is attributable to the enthusiasm of the summer coordinator who is also a local author.
- The Friends of the Library will be holding a book sale at the Social Hall on August 25 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- We are in the process of updating the New Member Packet information. Request staff review pages pertinent to their departments and get any changes required to IT by Wednesday, August 15.
- Our website has been transitioned to the new template. If you become aware of any broken links in E-news or anywhere else, please notify our IT Dept.
- Just a reminder to be aware of ANYTHING that doesn’t look legitimate as far as emails or links are concerned. There are a lot of emails coming out that look like they are from Microsoft or Drop Box or other software vendors that we use. Be especially careful if there is an attachment or a link sent along with the email. If you have any doubts, do not open it. NEVER enter your user name and password into any website that comes up as a result of a link you clicked on if it was from an unsolicited email, even if the vendor looks legitimate.
- The Golf Operations Offices at Pebblebrook Golf Course continue with the re-modeling project and it is going well and still on schedule.
- Golf Operations Manager Pat O’Hara is attending a Golf Expo for recertification Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday this week.
- The Stardust F-9 green side bunkers have been completed along with the chipping green and all of 18. We’ve had a few delays on our sod deliveries due to the recent monsoon activity. We are scheduled to take in 30,000 square feet of sod this week beginning tomorrow. Completion date is scheduled for August 29 as long as there are no more delays.
- The Range Tee at Stardust has been leveled and the new irrigation system installed. We are scheduled to install new sod this Thursday weather permitting.
- Work is scheduled to start on the range tee at Trial Ridge Golf Course this week.
- Shoreline work on hole #17 at Trail Ridge is scheduled for the week of August 20.
- A vendor is on site today to perform wet well and intake inspections. This an inspection we have done annually.
- Transition update; Grandview and Pebblebrook Golf Courses have made big improvements over the past wo weeks. The recent rains and high dew points have really helped.
- Crews continue storm damage cleanup on Rec. Centers property. We should have everything cleaned up by the end of the week.
- Rainfall totals from the last 5 storms combined range from 1.06” at Pebblebrook to 2.42” at Desert Trails. So far, we have lost 83 trees and 11 ocotillos to these storms. We have emailed the tree loss information over to our insurance carrier. We are still compiling detailed information on tree loss, location, type of tree, size along with any other damage. When completed, this information will be sent to our insurance carrier as well.
- Palm tree trimming crews are scheduled to be out today to work on R. H. Johnson Blvd. and the Johnson Rec. Center.
- There is a Tournament scheduled this Saturday at Deer Valley (Heat of the Summer). 64 players have signed up for this event.
- The Annual Audit Team has completed their field work. We are sending them a copy of our Reserve Study which will assist them in finishing up the audit.
- We have finalized and signed an agreement with PayCom for software to streamline the Payroll and HR/Benefits for Rec. Centers Employees.
Upcoming Events for August and September
August Upcoming Events
|Summer Series – MacDougal Street||Monday August 13th||Palm Ridge||7:00pm||YES|
|Sizzling Series – WV Brass Works||Thursday, August 23rd||Lecture Hall||1pm & 3pm||YES|
August Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Ticket Sales Date||Location||Time||Event Date|
|Comedy Show – Cary Long||NOW AVAILABLE||Box Office/Online||8am||Oct 10th|
|Welcome Back Dance||Tuesday August 14th||Box Office/Online||8am||Sept 21|
September Upcoming Events
|Sizzling Series – Cantabile String||Thursday Sept 13th||Lecture Hall||1pm & 3pm||NO|
|Welcome Back Dance||Friday, Sept 21st||Palm Ridge||7:00pm||Not available yet|
|Great Lawn – Branded Country Band||Thursday, Sept 27th||Great Lawn||6 pm||NO tickets required|
September Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Ticket Sales Date||Location||Time||Event Date|
|Halloween Dance||Tuesday Sept 11||Box Office/Online||8am||Oct 26th|
|New Years Eve Dinner/Dance||Tuesday Sept 25||Box Office/Online||8am||Dec 31st|