The Recreation Centers of Sun City West would like to remind its social clubs, gym and indoor fitness users that those facilities remain closed due to state mandates.
Several club members have questioned why the Rec Centers has closed certain facilities, as well as why we are enforcing a mask mandate. To summarize:
- Masks are required throughout Maricopa County, by order of the Board of Supervisors.
- Gyms, fitness centers and indoor exercise classes are prohibited by order of the Governor.
- All gatherings of more than 50 people, even if outdoors and even with social distancing in place, are prohibited by the Governor.
- The Rec Centers is not scheduling club events in Beardsley Park due to the 50-person rule. We are making an exception for the Special Events Department due to the need to secure bands in advance, and to allow adequate time for ticket sales. However, it is understood these may be canceled if the state does not lift its ban on gatherings of 50 or more.
- The Rec Centers is not scheduling larger clubs in Palm Ridge Summit Hall and RH Johnson Social Hall in part because of the 50-person rule, but also because those rooms are being reserved for Governing Board and Committee meetings, which need larger space due to physical distancing requirements.
- The Rec Centers’ clubs that are not yet open are closed because they involve indoor fitness classes; they require physical interaction (dancing); or they are inherently social (cards, Boomers) and six-foot distancing cannot be achieved.
The state will allow gyms and fitness centers in each county to reopen when certain benchmarks are hit. The Rec Centers is closely watching Maricopa County’s numbers and will apply to reopen as soon as possible. Please keep an eye out for announcements on suncitywest.com/covid19, on Facebook, and in the weekly enews.