Featured image is from the 2020 update of the Kuentz Recreation Center
The Rec Centers of Sun City West are planning a series of capital projects at R.H. Johnson, Palm Ridge and Beardsley recreation centers beginning in April and continuing through June.
Here is the tentative schedule and the work that will be tackled during that time:
Updated 4-2-21: Kuentz tennis facility repairs were added to the April section
Updated 4-20-21: Memo’s Bistro will be open during the Sports Pavilion’s closure
Updated 4-23-21: Palm Ridge parking lot lighting replacement was completed on April 16. Walkway lighting replacement is still in progress.
Updated 4-27-21: The Rec Centers have released a press release explaining the timing of the upcoming Palm Ridge closure. Read more.
- April 26 through May 16 – Sports Pavilion will be closed for replacement of the scoring system and point of sale millwork reface. Memo’s Bistro will stay open during this closure time.
- March 29 through April 2 – Bocce courts #7 through 12 will be closed for replacement of lighting fixtures with new led fixtures to match the ones previously completed on other courts
- April 5 through May 21 – Parking lot and walkway lighting replacement. Vendor will replace all parking lot holes and fixtures with new energy conserving led lights in progressive phases, including the fixtures on all the walkway lights throughout. This project will not require any closures to the buildings, daily work areas will be barricaded off.
- April 5 through May 21 – Aquatics building foundation repairs. Vendor will make concrete and stucco repairs to the building’s perimeter walls and foundation. Project will not require any closures to the building. Members should expect noisy conditions to all perimeters of the Aquatic building, including the outdoor pool. Daily work areas will be barricaded off.
- April 12 through 16 – General Acrylics is scheduled for repairs at the Kuentz tennis facility central walkway. April 16 is the tentative completion date for repairs
- May 24 through June 25 – Parking lot asphalt mill and replacement. Vendor will remove all existing asphalt areas and replace with new asphalt. Palm Ridge Recreation Center closure expected for approximately 30 days.
- Dates TBD – Beardsley Park transformer and electrical renovation. Vendor and APS to install new transformer and electrical system modifications at stage, all ramadas throughout the park. Park will be closed until completion.
- Dates TBD – Metal Shop Addition. Project is currently out for bid. Tentative Metal Shop building closure scheduled for May through October.
- Dates TBD – Replacement of R.H. Johnson Library entry doors
- Dates TBD – Swim and Fitness center hallway and locker room flooring replacement
How do I add funds to my account to cover daily guest fees as needed?
Hi Becky. You can add funds to your account by visiting our Membership office between 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday or by calling 623-544-6100.
May I just offer confusion over the decision of a 30-day closure of the Palm Ridge outdoor pool/recreation center during a season when it would be most utilized? I appreciate being vulnerable to a ‘contractor’s schedule’, but surely the asphalt is viable to last through the warmest months while members could enjoy the facility and the repairs be made towards the end of the year?
Thanks for all you do!
It’s nice to see we are making these improvements to keep our facilities in great shape.
Palm Ridge will be closed for a month due to parking lot repairs? Pickleball as well, I presume? The clubs and large meeting room? Why the heck can they not do the parking lot in sections to allow use of the facility we have been without for most of the last year? Not everyone is a snowbird.
Regarding the Palm Ridge Closure. Would it be possible to close half of Palm Ridge and complete that portion of the parking and then close the other half and complete the remaining portion of the parking lot?
Why wasn’t this work done when the facilities were closed we lost enough time with covid restrictions but you raised our rec fees when we couldn’t use our facilities come on who makes these decisions
Thank you for constantly trying to keep the place up-to-date,clean and neat for everybody and replacing everything that needs to be replaced or remodeled.
I love the care and pride that our community shows about the rec centers. I would like to suggest that this same pride be put on display on the byways that connect our rec centers, not just at the entrances and along RH Johnson and Meeker, but along stardust, 135th Ave, Camino Del Sol and the other heavily traveled areas. This could be more low water plantings and / or pavers, signage, fountains and other visually beautiful enhancements.
I don’t understand why the parking lot resurfacing and sidewalk repairs weren’t done in the months when Palm Ridge was closed. That goes for renovations at Kuentz as well. Why don’t they fix these things in the summer when snowbirds are gone.