Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: March 04, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – March 04, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Wall Masonry work was completed on 3-1-19. Stucco and Gates are in progress.
- The decomposed granite walkway project in front of the Social Hall, RHJ Administration Bldg. and the Sports Pavilion was completed on 3-1-19.
- We met with the President of the Canine Companions Club regarding scheduled work on the Large Dog Park which was delayed slightly due to staff attending to lighting outages in sections of the parking lot at both R. H. Johnson and Palm Ridge.
- Karl will be out of the office until 3/12/19.
- The R.H. Johnson Spa was closed today due to having a leak detector on site to locate water leakage. It is scheduled to be open tomorrow 3-5-19.
- The Beardsley pool was closed today due to demolition of the base of the old diving board. We will be back open tomorrow (3-5-19) however, there will be construction taking place which will not impact the use of the pool but will be noisy. Members can use the pool if they choose.
- Facility Maintenance personnel are replacing all the back stops at the Horse Shoe Pits. We have completed the “backside” portion of the backstops on all horseshoe courts and are now working on the “frontside” backstops.
- We are getting ready to do some ADA work reconfiguring the entrance to the men’s restroom at the R. H. Johnson Social Hall for easier access. The women’s restroom entrance does not need any work with the exception of adding an automatic door opener. Any closure information will be posted if and as necessary. We will attempt to do most of the work prior to 7:00 a.m. to lessen any impact on those using the Social Hall.
- The new outdoor wall clock at the R. H. Johnson Tennis Complex has been installed and the clock looks great! It is more visible than the average wall clock. In addition, it lights up at night so it can be seen as it gets dark.
- We have repaired and remounted the Softball Club Clock at Liberty Field.
- We installed new temperature sensors at the Racquet Ball Courts which allows us to better balance temperatures at that facility.
- We have replaced the damaged skirting on Ramada #10 and have moved on to #6.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Patte Smith 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of March is:
March 6 – Mike Lindner
March 13 – Gale Leach
March 20 – Country Crossings
March 27 – Heatwave
- Our March 10, 5K Run at Stardust Golf Course is sold out. It should be a fun event and don’t forget that all proceeds go to help the Arizona Humane Society!
- We continue working on Chartered Clubs needs regarding Space Utilization plans.
- We are very close to being finished with auditing the CR-7’s (Financial Statements) for all Chartered Clubs. We have only 2 more that need to be completed.
- We say goodbye this week to our Chartered Club Specialist Patte Smith as she retires but we also get to welcome Phil Dauterive who was selected to replace her. Please be sure to stop by the RHJ Admin Building and welcome Phil in his new job and wish Patte well as she retires this Friday.
- Things are great at the Sports Pavilion! Revenue, lines bowled and league play were all up for the month of February. Beer Sales are up 57% and wine sales were up 267%. The increase in wine sales was due to a Wine Party scheduled last Saturday at the Sports Pavilion.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $436.
- Non-resident open play brought in $400 last week.
- We will begin signups for our Summer League on Monday.
- Sales were up at the Village Store for the month of February, 39.5% of which was attributed to the Silver Craft Club.
- Katie is having updated photos taken of the Village Store to be used for the Rec. Center News, and brochures.
- We continue the process of interviewing candidates for the IT Department to fill 2 vacant positions.
- The meeting scheduled last week on the Totale Integrated proposal regarding credit card fees was postponed and moved to this week.
- We are working with Totale Golf on the Golf Lottery updates.
- The Election for Governing Board Members began Monday morning with on-line voting. As of Monday morning, 120 votes were already cast on line. We are also in the process of getting ready for in-person voting on Monday, March 11, at the Data Resource Center at the Library.
- Session 6 of TORCH will be held at the Posse Building.
- We will be attending a Transportation Stakeholder’s Meeting in Peoria on Thursday, March 7.
- Tame the Beast, a special device workshop covering both Apple and Android devices was held at the library last Wednesday. The class covered a wide range of topics and was well received. Another session will be presented in March for those already on the waiting list. These classes are very popular.
- Two sessions of Virtual Reality will be presented on both Tuesday and Friday of this week. Preregistration is required because we are booked into April.
- Staff, the Board and the B & F Committee continue work on the FY 19/20 Budget Process.
- The dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums for the FY 19/20 Annual Budget Presentation to the public are scheduled for Wed. April 24, 9 a.m. at Palm Ridge Summit B, Fri. April 26, 1 p.m. at the Lecture Hall, and Thurs., May 2, 5:30 p.m. at the Lecture Hall. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- We will be sending out monthly renewals for the Coyote Card (golf) beginning this Friday. They will now be handled the same as the Kachina and the Unlimited Card. The renewals will be sent out monthly.
- APF Fees from home resales have been a bit slow but have been picking up this last week.
- Information on our 5K Run is available on suncitywest.com or on our direct link at http://raceroster.com/events/2019/20312/sun-city-west-sunsational-5k-runwalk . Entry to the 5K Run is sold out.
- Our last Top Hat Event featuring Bett Midler is scheduled at Palm Ridge, March 7 at 3 and 7 p.m. Both shows have been SOLD OUT.
- Our Culture Series Event with T. A. Burrows was cancelled due to the weather. It has been rescheduled for Tuesday, March 12, at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. No tickets are required for this event.
- Our next Culture Series Event features John Hodson & Friends on March 24 at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. No tickets are required for this event.
- All three Spring Fest Shows, Mamas and Papas, Doobie Brothers and the Bob Seger Tribute, March 8 through March 10, have been sold out. Springfest begins Friday through Sunday. Rain is in the forecast for Friday. If it does rain, we will still go on with the show. Dave Bennett’s staff at Beardsley will begin the setup process today (Monday) including snow fencing and the stage. Our lighting and sound techs will be on site Thursday getting their setups arranged.
- Tickets for our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” went on sale, February 12, 2019 and are sold out!.
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are available for renewal.
- 56 completed packets for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt have been returned! There are 30 suns hidden throughout the 4 Rec. Centers and 7 Golf Courses! Try your luck at finding them all!
- Happy Camp events have been scheduled throughout March on various days. Check in with the SCW Box office if you would like to sign the grand kids up for any of the events.
- The Green Team has been collecting donated golf clubs over the last month. They collect and refurbish donated clubs and make them available to golfers in need of them. They were able to give away 6 to 8 sets of refurbished clubs at their event last week.
- Our Golf Gala took place on Saturday, March 2 from 10 am to 2 pm at Grandview Golf Course. There was a little rain but all-in-all it was a good event.
- The SCW Classic was sold out at 144 players by the end of the day. This event is scheduled to be held on March 16 and 17 at Grandview and Deer Valley Golf Courses.
- The 5K run is finally here and takes place on Stardust Golf Course this Sunday.
- We will be hosting a Junior Golf Special for grand kids for Spring Break during the month of March (the 4th through the 31st). Participants must be 18 and under.
- Player’s Assistant Meetings have been set up for March 11 and 12 in the Acacia Room at Palm Ridge.
- For the month of February, revenue and rounds were down 11% and 10% respectively. Golf rounds played at Pebblebrook on Sunday were very good and may help to bring those numbers backup.
- Now that we are out of frost delays and rain, the courses can get back to their regular fertilizer spraying program.
- Over the next couple of weeks, the golf courses will be lowering the height of cut (HOC) on the over-seed areas; Fairways .50, Tee 3/8” or around .400. and Green Banks .50.
- The R. H. Johnson sidewalk back-fill and cleanup has been completed.
- All preemergence applications have been completed. Post weed control should be completed this week. With the recent rains, this will probably be an ongoing job for the next several months.
- Blue Stake will be out today (Monday, Mar. 4) to mark the Large Dog Park. A private locator was scheduled to come out Tuesday morning. Staff will start on the drainage project Wed. of this week.
- The Landscaping crew will start installing pavers today at the Kuentz Courtyard. Center Staff requested a small area of planter space be converted over to pavers.
- Towards the end of this month, staff will start removing the winter flowers from some areas. The first order of spring/summer flowers will be delivered on the 25th of this month.
Upcoming Events February/March
February/March Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Top Hat – Bett Midler||March 7, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Mamas and Papas||March 8, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Doobie Brothers||March 9, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|SPRING FEST – Bob Seger Tribute||March 10, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Cruise Ship – Tone Devils||March 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still Available|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows||March 22, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|Culture Series – John Hodgson & Friends||March 24, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
February Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription – Renewals||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7 pm||February 26, 2019|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
Tickets for the 2020 Top Hat are now available for renewals
Cruise Ship Subscriptions Renewals become available tomorrow 3/5/19!
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt – We have 56 packets turned in!
Cruise Ship Glen Campbell Tribute was an excellent show!
We have a very busy week this week! If you need anything just call!
- We have our last Top Hat this Thursday 3/7 with a Bette Midler Tribute
- Spring Fest begins Friday – Sunday (Rain is in the forecast for Friday) if it rains, we will still go on with the show! We have advertised on E-news and posted at Beardsley!
- We (David Bennett’s staff at Beardsley) will begin to start the setup process today with snow fencing and the stage. Thursday our lighting and sound techs will be on site getting their setups arranged!
- Sunday 3/10 we have the 5K – SOLD OUT