Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: March 11, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – March 11, 2019
- The RHJ Facilities Maintenance Yard Block Wall Masonry work was completed on 3-1-19. Stucco and Gates are still in progress.
- We continue to address some items needing attention in the Large Dog Park.
- Karl will be back at the office Tuesday, 3/12/19.
- The R.H. Johnson Spa was closed today due to having a leak detector on site to locate water leakage. It is scheduled to be open tomorrow 3-5-19. The leak was located by American Leak Detector. We are awaiting a schedule and plan for repair.
- The new diving board at the Beardsley Pool has been installed. The contractor is now repairing the decking around the board.
- Facility Maintenance personnel have completed the Horse Shoe Pit Project and replaced all the backstops.
- We are 3 to 4 weeks out from receiving the ADA door openers for the restrooms at the Social Hall. Demolition work has already started on the men’s restroom. We will attempt to do most of the work prior to 7:00 a.m. to lessen the impact on those using the Social Hall.
- Join us for our SCW Talent Spotlight on Wednesdays in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 am for an hour of fun! If you have any questions, call Phil Dauterive 623-544-6193. The talent lineup for the month of March is:
March 13 – Gale Leach
March 20 – Country Crossings
March 27 – Heatwave
- We continue working on Chartered Clubs needs regarding Space Utilization plans. The Governing Board is in the preliminary stages of planning another public forum at Palm Ridge on 3-20-19.
- We are 100% complete with the auditing of the CR-7’s (Financial Statements) for all Chartered Clubs.
- 40 bowlers participated in the SCW Super Seniors Tournament this weekend with the average bowling score being 246.
- We have a verbal agreement and are working on written agreement with a company called Go Streaming to nationally televise the Lona King Bowling Tournament from the Sports Pavilion this year. The Tournament is scheduled for Nov. 8, 9 and 10 in 2019.
- Signups for our Summer League continue this week.
- Be sure to attend our Spring Arts and Crafts Fair this Saturday at the R. H. Johnson Facility from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. There will be many wonderful items crafted by our SCW artisans for sale!
- The Automotive Restoration Club (ARC) will be raffling off a 2019 Ford F-150 Pickup Truck selling 1,000 tickets for $100 each. Be sure to get your tickets!
- Early balloting went extremely well this year, and we are awaiting final results from in person voting before results are announced shortly after 3 p.m. today. There appears to have been a lot of early voting as our vendors’ servers were sometimes busy when people tried to vote early. While we are pleased this means a lot of people were participating, we have already talked to the vendor about using multiple servers next year or a server dedicated just to RCSCW (as the company produces many elections for other communities and HOAs).
- We are happy to announce Michael Kohn, our new Help Desk Rep. starts today. If you don’t get a chance to meet him when he is initially brought around be sure to stop by and say Hi in the IT Room.
- IT is working diligently on some lottery issues and other improvements for our software users. We are doing some testing with our vendor and expect to see improvement in these areas very soon.
- We are jumping into Instagram on our social media platforms, so check us out on Instagram at suncitywest_az as we begin to add content.
- We also plan to add new video shorts to our marketing efforts, with the first being the voting video that we introduced last week on You Tube (youtube.com/suncitywestaz). Look for more in the future.
- TORCH wraps up with Graduation on Thursday. The Fall Class runs seven consecutive Thursdays from Oct. 10 to Nov. 21. Sign up now under “Things to Do” on info.suncitywest.com, or by calling Karen at 623-544-6115.
- New SCW maps should be available very soon for print, and the wayfinding maps for external walls will be installed in the near future.
- We will be working with the Gov. Board Executive Assistant to prep post cards for the annual owner member meeting. These will be sent to all physical addresses in Sun City West, reminding residents about the Annual meeting in June. This mailing is required by state law and they will not go out until the end of May.
- We are working with the Independent to again sponsor Hometown Heroes, which this year will be held April 24 at Grandview Terrace. Nominations are due by March 18!
- Best Selling Author C. J. Box will have a book talk and signing tomorrow at 10 a.m.in the Social Hall East. Residents will be allowed to enter first and then the general public will be welcomed. We did not issue complimentary tickets this time.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library welcome members to attend their monthly board meeting at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 14 in the Library.
- Two sessions of Virtual Reality will be presented on Friday of this week. Small groups provide the best experience, so pre-registration is required. Interested residents may call the Data Resource Center at 623-544-6644 to reserve a time.
- Tim DeAngelo and Karen Wood have completed a review of the FY 19/20 Operating Budget and should be done with the Capital Budget review later this week.
- The dates for the upcoming Public Budget Forums for the FY 19/20 Annual Budget Presentations to the public are scheduled for Wed. April 24, 9 a.m. at Palm Ridge Summit B, Fri. April 26, 1 p.m. at the Lecture Hall, and Thurs., May 2, 5:30 p.m. at the Lecture Hall. Watch the Rec. Center News, E-News and our web site for additional information and be sure to attend one of these presentations.
- The Membership Department had received 59 property inquiries in a seven-day period.
- To date we have 216 actual tenants signed up this season.
- During the first 8 days of March, we’ve sold 5,285 guests credits/fees for a total of $18,500 guest fees.
- Last year there were approximately 23 partial payments collected by membership. This year (2019) that number dropped to 11.
- Our 5K Run Event was great! Our Multi-Media Assistant Martin took a lot of great photos, the weather was wonderful, and we had a great turnout! The staff at Stardust did a terrific job and everything went off perfectly. Thanks to everyone for making this event such a success! We will need to schedule the 2020 5K Run sooner rather than later to be sure we can get a booking with Finish Line Racing.
- Our last Top Hat Event featuring Bette Midler had mixed reviews. Some loved the performance, and some thought it a little too offensive. Some adjustments to content were made between shows and the second performance received a standing ovation.
- Our Culture Series Event with T. A. Burrows on 3-12-19 was cancelled once again due to the weather. It has not been rescheduled as of yet but we will get that information out there when available.
- Our next Culture Series Event features John Hodson & Friends on March 24 at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn. Prior to this event we will be offering a few of our “Suns” from the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt for a silent auction. The bidding will start at 4:30 p.m. in the R. H. Johnson Breezeway. 59 Scavanger Hunt Packages were turned in this year.
- All three Spring Fest Shows took place this past weekend. The Doobie Brothers and the Bob Seger Tribute were both great. We had some issues with the Pappas and the Mammas performance which staff is working to address.
- Tickets for our March 29, 2019 Dance with “Rhythm Edition” went on sale, February 12, 2019 and are sold out.
- Ticket Sales for the 2020 Top Hat and Cruise Ship Subscriptions are available for renewal and upgrades.
- Happy Camp events start next week.
- We are already making plans for our Fall Fest Event at Beardsley Park. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, March 12. Performances are as follows: 25 – Haunted Harvest in the Park with Thaddeus Rose; wear your Halloween costume, Oct 26 – The Petty Breakers (A Tom Petty Tribute Band) and Oct. 27 – KansAZ (A Kansas Tribute Band).
- Golf Operations Revenue has been flat for the first 10 days of March.
- Player’s Assistant Meetings are planned this week for Tuesday and Wednesday night at the Acacia Room.
- 144 golfers participated in the SCW Classic this past weekend at Grandview and Deer Valley Golf Courses.
- Next Monday, 3-18-19, is a Kansas City Royals Golf Tournament for the team’s coaches at Deer Valley Golf Course at 2:00 p.m. We expect between 32 and 40 participants.
- We have a Golf Orientation scheduled for residents new to Sun City West on Friday of this week. Pat O’Hara gives new golfers a one-hour overview on everything they might need to know about golfing in Sun City West!
- We plan on doing as much mowing of the courses as possible on Monday (today) before the rain moves into Sun City West for the next few days.
- The sediment barrier at the Desert Trails Pump Station is scheduled to be removed this week and a new one installed.
- Todd Patty is attending an Arizona Department of Water (ADW) Meeting on Tuesday in Phoenix.
- We continue working on drainage issues at the Large Dog Park.
- Towards the end of this month, staff will start removing the winter flowers from some areas. The first order of spring/summer flowers will be delivered on the 25th of this month.
Upcoming Events March/April
March/April Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – TA Burrows CANCELLED||March 12, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|Cruise Ship – Tone Devils||March 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm|
|Culture Series – John Hodgson & Friends||March 24, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||No Tickets Needed|
|March Dance – Rhythm Edition||March 29, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Surprise Pops||April 4, 2019||Palm Ridge||1pm||Tickets still Available|
|Easter in the Park||April 20, 2019||Beardsley||8:30am||Tickets still Available|
|April Dance – Yesterday Once More||April 12, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets still Available|
March Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||March 12, 2019|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription – Upgrades||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Upgrades Now|
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscription- Renewals||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Renewals Now|
|Happy Camp||Dates Vary in March||Vary||Vary||Available now|
*DUE TO WEATHER WE HAVE CANCELLED THE MARCH 12th CULUTRE SERIES – No new date has been made
Suns for the Sunsational Scavenger Hunt – We have 59 packets turned in!
- We will have a wrap up concert that will be in conjunction with our Culture Series on Sunday, March 24th which is the John Hodgson & Friends. We will be putting out a select few of our suns for a silent auction. We will start the bidding at 4:30pm in the breezeway of RH Johnson
TOP HAT –
- Bette Midler was a mixed review – some loved her and some thought she was too vulgar. Definitely a preference! We talked to her between shows and asked her to make some adjustments to one bit and she had a standing ovation in the 7pm show.
SPRING FEST –
- Friday – the Mammas and Pappas – The Events Department is fully aware of the performance and we will answer any questions our patrons may have.
- Saturday – Doobie Brothers Tribute was a Great concert and have had very positive feedback
- Sunday – Bob Segar Tribute was another great concert and have multiple people asking to have them back for their Southern Rock.
- 5k was great! Martin took a bunch of photos and we had a great turn out with great weather. Staff at Stardust was on point and the timeline flew perfectly!
- I need to schedule with Pat for 2020 5k much sooner than later as Finish Line Racing is getting booked up
Fall Fest Lineup –
- October 25th – Haunted Harvest in the Park with Thaddeus Rose – Wear your Halloween costume
- October 26th – The PettyBreakers (A Tom Petty Tribute)
- October 27th – KansAZ (A Kansas Tribute)