Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: June 17, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – June 17, 2019
- RHJ Small Dog Park Upgrade & New Cell Addition Update: We began pouring sidewalks and will finish pouring on 6/18/19. Iron fencing is also in progress and we are ready for our Landscaping Department to install rock along the wall and as well as installation of the new irrigation system.
- RHJ Facilities Enhancement: Final sidewalk pour in front of the Small Dog Park and the Warranty Removal and Replacement of the sidewalk in front of the Tennis Facility entrance are scheduled for July 15, 2019.
- Due to construction Beardsley Card Rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4 are closed beginning 6/17/19 as we begin working on our Space Utilization Plans/renovations. The work planned includes drywall, paint, flooring, carpeting, adding a kitchen, mirrors for Yoga, etc. Most of the work on this project will be done in-house by our Facility Maintenance Dept.
- Work on the Traffic Calming Plan for the R. H. Johnson Parking Lot will begin around the 23rd of July 2019.
- The Beardsley spa heater was repaired with replacement parts last week and is still functioning properly. We believe we will be able to keep it working until the replacement is installed in July.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- We will be considering the presentations by three vendors for the Housekeeping contract next week.
- We will be working with Daily Fitness to transition from their physical trainers to our services
- The furniture has all been moved out of Beardsley Card Rooms 1, 2, 3, & 4 in preparation beginning work on the Space Utilization Plan.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- We continue working on the CC&R Section of our website which is under construction. It includes FAQ’s (Frequently Asked Questions) to help direct those with complaints. It includes a fillable form for those who need to generate and submit complaint forms to the CC&R Department.
- We are reviewing/finalizing the CC&R Software Agreement from the vendor we selected and hope to have it signed this week.
- Our three part-time CC&R Investigators reported for work today and we are busy setting up their workspace and familiarizing them with the Association.
- For the first 16 days of June, League Play is up $1,000.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $548.
- There is a Single’s Tournament scheduled for June 30. 120 Bowlers have signed up so far with a maximum number of bowlers set at 150.
- Store Manager Katie Van Leuven met with the Artistic Hand Lettering Cards and Mixed Media Club (formerly Calligraphy Club) and they are very excited about the new direction of the Club.
- Village Store Summer hours are currently 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mon. – Fri. July hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon. – Fri. and the Store is closed in August to reopen the day after labor Day, Sept. 3rd.
- The Palm Ridge Club Network has been completed. We will be contacting each affected club regarding use of this network.
- Training for the new Governing Board takes place this week on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Our next meeting regarding the 2020 Census takes place in September 2019. We are making plans for computers to be available at the R. H. Johnson Library for members to respond to the 2020 Census.
- Guest Policy PR went out last week to address the policy changes recently approved by unanimous vote of the Governing Board. Starting July 1, 2019 all guests are to be accompanied by the Owner Member upon check in. The fee remains at $3.50 per day. If a member is incapacitated or cannot accompany their guests, please contact Member Services to make other arrangements.
- Our puzzlers continue to work diligently on Ravensburger’s 18,000 piece “Magical Bookcase” summer community puzzle.
- Now a summer tradition, the 2019 Summer Reading Club runs through Saturday, September 7. Residents read for fun and prizes and they get to select what they wish to read. All R. H. Johnson Library print books, eBooks, CD audiobooks, and digital audiobooks qualify. In addition to drawings for a variety of fun prizes, those who participate a minimum of eight weeks will receive a coupon for one free $1 book at the Friends of the Library Book Sale on November 16. For more information and to register, residents should stop by the Library.
- Our award-winning Virtual Reality program at the R. H. Johnson Library has expanded to additional days each month. There are three presentations per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays with immediate openings. Also, guests of Rec. Card holders who are 18 years of age or older are now welcome. Guests are charged the daily guest fee but there continues to be no charge for residents. Available times each Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are 9:15 am, 11:45 and 2:00 pm. Each session is 90 minutes long and has the capacity for up to four participants for each time slot. Reservations can be made in person in the Library’s Data Resource Center or by calling 623-544-6644.
- Young grandchildren and their families are invited to Summer Story Time at the Library at 10:00 am on Wednesdays, June 19 through July 31. All residents need is their Rec. Card and their family may enter the Library with them. Different stories are read each week. A kid-friendly craft project follows the stories with all materials supplied. Children not only get to keep their completed craft item but can also take home some fun library souvenirs such as bookmarks and stickers.
- Our Financial Accountant Laurie Wiggans will be retiring at the end of June. Financial Analyst Karen Woods will take over Laurie’s responsibilities and we will recruit for Karen’s replacement in the near future.
- Pete will be attending the B & F Committee Meeting on Tuesday of this week.
- The FY 19/20 Budget that was approved wasn’t spread. Pete will be taking a look at that.
- Accounting plans to generate a monthly report for each staff manager as to where they stand on their budgets.
- As of last Friday (6/14) Member Services processed 66 APF Fees, less 8 refunds for the month to date. Total APF’s collected for June 2018 was 115.
- The housing market appears to have picked up. There are currently 300 houses for sale in Sun City West and we are averaging 7 to 10 inquiries on property sales per day.
- Membership developed a Medical Guest Pass. It is the only card that will allow unaccompanied guests access to Rec. Centers facilities. Anyone applying for the medical card is required to produce a letter from their doctor stating the reason they are unable to accompany and check in their guests.
- Our July 4th Concert at Palm Ridge is SOLD OUT!
- Individual tickets are available now for our Summer Series, Kate and the Dream Band (7/2) and the Dry Heat Band (8/6). All shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Check out our Sizzling Summer Series for June, July and August. Tickets are now on sale! Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Country Crossroads (SOLD OUT), Dan McCorison, With a Little Help From My Friends, Sentimental Journey and John Gamber. Check the Box Office for dates and times.
- Kasey will be interviewing three more candidates this week for the open Events Planner position.
- Our Pool Party went very well. The band was well received and most of those attending stayed until the very end!
- Golf revenue is up 6% and rounds are up 8% for June 2019 as compared to the same time last year.
- We are meeting with Long Realty to discuss a golf event that ties Golf with local real estate offices and the Rec. Centers of Sun City West.
- The new driving range tee at Trail Ridge opened on Monday, 6/17/19. The old driving tee has 10,500 sq. ft. of usable practice space. The new tee now has 21,070 sq. ft, of space which is 10,570 sq. ft. more usable tee space than before.
- After closure for maintenance, Desert Trails Golf Course reopens on Tuesday 6/18/19.
- Grandview Golf course closes Thursday, June 20 for course maintenance and will reopen on Tuesday, June 25. Project scheduled during this closure include:
- Palm Tree Trimming
- Cart Path Repair work
- We will be stocking our lakes this week with mosquito fish. We do this annually to help control the mosquito population.
- We seem to be about a month behind transition this year due to the cool month of May.
- The R. H. Johnson Lawn Bowl greens have been laser leveled and top-dressed. All greens have made a full recovery.
- New Live Oak trees were to be planted beginning Monday, 6-17-19, on 151st These trees are replacing the Sour Orange trees already there. A total of seven trees will be planted.
- Palm Tree Trimming Update – Date Palms have been trimmed at the entrances and at Palm Ridge. Palm tree trimming around R. H. Johnson will start next week.
- Update on the insurance claim check for last summer’s storm damage – We should be receiving a check this week for the tree replacement cost. Earlier this year we received a check in the amount of $23,491.52 for the cleanup portion of the claim. This money will be put back into the operating budget for Golf Maintenance.
- We are working on the Annual End of Year Report to the Members which will include highlighted accomplishment with Photos for the current Budget Year and Highlights for what we plan to accomplish in the upcoming Budget Year.
June Upcoming Events
|Sizzling Summer – Country Crossroads
|Tuesday, June 25, 2019
|1 & 3pm
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|4th of July Concert
|July 4, 2019
|10-25 thru 10-27
|Kate and the Dream Band – 7/2
Dry Heat Band – 8/6
|3 & 7pm
|Individuals Available NOW
|Pool Party –
Come Back Buddy
|June 14, 2019
|7 – 9pm
|Sizzling Summer Series
|Country Crossing 6/25
Dan McCorison 7/16
With a Little Help From my Friends 7/30
Sentimental Journey 8/13
John Gamber 8/27
|1 or 3pm
|Tickets Available NOW
Country Crossing SOLD OUT
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription
|Dates Vary 2020
|3 & 7pm
|Subscriptions Available NOW
- Pool Party – went well! Band was well received, and people stayed till the end.
- Interviews this week for Event Specialist
June 17, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM
|2019 Summer Series 3PM
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM