Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: September 30, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – September 30, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot Mill and Resurface Project is in progress. Unstable soils have been removed, new Aggregate Base has been imported and compacted and is ready for completion on 10-12-19. Environmental Services Manager Todd Patty requested 10/12/19 as the completion date due to the over-seeding schedule on the golf courses.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – The Club’s equipment and materials storage is complete. The vendor is in the progress of demolition.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – Closure dates for the Liner Replacement Project is September 30 with an anticipated reopening on Nov. 11. Drainage of the pool and spa is in progress. The vendor begins demolition on Thursday, 10-03-19.
- Kuentz Master Gas Meter Update: New meter locations design is in progress with Southwest Gas. This begins this Project which will take approximately 14 weeks from design through installation per the Southwest Gas Representative.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- When the Beardsley Aquatics and Fitness Room reopened last Monday, the spa was not reopened as the replacement heater ordered was a new design of the old heater and could not be installed. The system needs to be reconfigured before it can be installed. Signed documents were submitted to the vendor on Friday and they are estimating it will take about 2 weeks for fabrication and installation. We will keep everyone updated on any changes to this schedule.
- Update on the A/C replacements at Palm Ridge: The remaining 4 A/C units have been replaced. The installation went well and without incident.
- H. Johnson Swim and Fitness reopened on Friday, 9/27. During the closure we were able to make electrical and plumbing repairs and gave the Facility a thorough cleaning.
- We are working on creating a web page for our Health and Wellness Program.
- We will begin installing the new paper product dispensers at the different facilities Thursday and Friday of this week.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- Any water bottles approved to be left at pool side during exercise class must be kept in the designated space made available for this purpose.
- Over the weekend we hosted the CBE Junior/Senior Doubles Tournament for 114 bowlers . The participants were the best of the Senior and Junior Bowlers. First prize for this event was $5,000.
- 29 attended our Sunday NFL Event and our Sunday Special brought in $573.
- For the first 26 days of September, League Play is up 6%, Open Bowling is up 12% and Refreshments are up 37%.
- The Lona King Tournament is scheduled for the 8th , 9th & 10th of The maximum for this event is 150 bowlers.
- The Deadline for the Rec. Center News is Friday, Oct. 4. Please have all submittals in by noon.
- The advertisements we generated and placed on Face Book for Grandview Pro shop appear to have reached their audience. Grandview Pro Shop reported the sale of several of the new water bottles that had been advertised on Face Book.
- The Election Committee is already beginning work on the Governing Board Election scheduled for March of 2020. Petitions for those interested in running for the Board are available for pickup beginning Nov. 1, 2019.
- Our Systems Network Administrator Gregg scheduled server maintenance on Oct. 1, 2 & 3. Maintenance will be performed on the three machines that POS (Point of Sale) Systems run on. Each evening a single server will be going down. All other POS stations other than those designated for that evening may remain up and running. The process for each machine takes several hours. Staff is requested to complete their End of Day Reports prior to 6 p.m. on the evening their machine is to be worked on.
- The TORCH Notebooks were printed at an outside vendor this session and are ready to be picked up this week.
- We will be attending a NWVC Transit meeting on Tuesday of next week.
- All carpets in the library are being cleaned today.
- Brody Worklounge PODS are scheduled to be installed in the Information Center of the library on Thursday, October 3. The national trend is for patrons to bring their own laptops and other devices to use at a library. The pods are specifically designed to facilitate this.
- The library’s second Chess Tournament will be held this Saturday, October 5 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. All residents are welcome to participate, even walk-ins. Prizes will be awarded around 3:30 pm. This will be a relaxed, nonofficial competition.
- The Accounting Department begins interviewing candidates for the open Analyst’s position this week on Oct. 2, 3 & 4.
- There will be a presentation from Association Auditors Clifton Larsen Allen at this week’s B&F Meeting. Afterwards, CFO Peter Finelli will be requesting we continue using the firm as the Association Auditor. Governing Board Fi (Financial) Policies will also be discussed.
- We have received and are currently reviewing the Reserve Study performed by an external auditor.
- Staff is requested to get any outstanding invoices that have been approved to Accounting at their earliest convenience.
- For the month of September 2019 there were 96 APFs with 12 refunds for a total of 84 which is 5 more than last year. In September 2018 the total collected was 79.
- Mary Gross who was hired to take updated member photos started last Thursday at the Rec. Centers. Mary learned the job very quickly and will be a great addition to Member Services.
- We plan to make an offer on the Seasonal Membership Clerk position today. If the candidate accepts the position we hope to have them start mid next week.
- The first of our free Concerts in the Park with Faded Jeans takes place on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019.
- Our first Movie in the Park of the season takes place at Beardsley Park on Sunday, Oct. 6 at dusk. No tickets are required for this event. The featured movie is POMS.
- Join us for Happy Hour – Touch of Greay on Wednesday, Oct. 9, at Beardsley, 5:00 p.m. Tickets are not required for this event. This week’s Happy Hour was relocated from the Great Lawn at RHJ to Beardsley Park due to overseeding.
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Our Veteran’s Day POPS Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Beardsley is Sold Out!
- Tickets are available for our “Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel” being held on November 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge and our New Year’s Eve Dance, December 31 at 7:30 p.m. also at Palm Ridge.
- Watch for more news on our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. We anticipate having at least 30 entries at this event. It will take place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot which will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Top Hat Event individual tickets will be available for purchase October 1. Cruise Ship individual tickets will be available October 8.
- As of September 29, revenue was down 2% and rounds were up 2% as compared to last year. At first glance this could be due to more golfers taking advantage of discounted rates or more resident golfing vs. non-resident golfing took place in the month of September. We will know more once we’ve had the chance to analyze the data.
- Starter Training was scheduled last week on Tuesday and Wednesday. 80% of starters attended this training and make-up sessions will be set up for those who were not in attendance.
- We have hired all PAs (Player Assistants) and Call Center personnel. PAs start on 10-21-19 and Call Center employees start on 10-14-19.
- There are 72 Octogenarians signed up for our Tournament at Desert Trails on Oct. 26. The maximum for this event is 92 golfers.
- We are not scheduling Group Play until over-seeding is completed which would be sometime in mid-November.
- Golf Operations Manager Pat O’Hara will be attending a foods event to check out new items that may be added to our Pro Shop menus.
- Pat O’Hara is working with EZ Links to have them cover incoming calls from 5 p.m. to 6 am. on weekdays and 24 hours per day on the weekends. This is part of an effort to free up our starters so they can focus on customer service and getting golfers onto the tees.
- Deer Valley, Desert Trails, Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook started seeding over the weekend. Seeding was delayed about a day and a half due to last week’s rain. On average we received about 1 ½ inches of rain.
- Echo Mesa finished seeding late Saturday afternoon. Desert Trails finished on Sunday and Deer Valley and Pebblebrook should finish seeding by Tuesday afternoon. All courses are expected to reopen on Tuesday, October 22.
- Over the weekend staff installed 8.000 sq. ft. of sod on the back side of the new curbing at the Echo Mesa Pro Shop parking lot.
- The R. H. Johnson Great Lawn near the pool closed September 23 for over-seeding and reopens on Monday, October 7 should there be no weather delays.
- The Small Dog Park at R. H. Johnson was closed last Friday, September 27 and reopens on Wednesday, October 16, weather permitting.
- The Softball Field closed last Monday. Preparation was delayed a couple of days due to rain. Seeding was completed last Friday. Opening date for the Field is scheduled on Monday October 14. If the field is not ready to open on the 14th, we will move the opening date to the following Monday, October 21.
- Three Live Oak trees were stolen from R. H. Johnson Blvd. last week. Staff will replace with new trees within the next couple of weeks.
- All Mexican Fan Palms at the RHJ Pool have been trimmed.
- Year-to-Date (through September) Golf Course Water Usage Report:
October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|FREE Concert in Park – Faded Jeans||Saturday, October 5, 2019||Beardsley||5pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Poms||Sunday, October 6, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Happy Hour – Touch of Greay||Wednesday, October 9, 2019||BEARDSLEY||5pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Desert Knights||Saturday, October 12, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Rocketman||Sunday, October 13, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Real Thing Band||Saturday, October 21, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FRE Movie in Park – Dogs Purpose||Sunday, October 22, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Octoberfest – OOMPA||Wednesday, October 23, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru – 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Veterans Day Concert – Pops||Tuesday, November 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||SOLD OUT|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 1, 2019|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 1, 2019|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 1, 2019|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 1, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 8, 2019|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||October 15, 2019|
|Holiday Show – Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West||Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||October 22, 2019|
|Spring Fest||3-14 thru 3-16||Beardsley||7pm||October 29, 2019|
CRUISE SHIP INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 8, 2019
Highlighted above – There has been a change of location for our monthly Happy Hour! Please note all other Happy Hours will be located at Great Lawn – October 9th has been moved to Beardsley due to rain and rescheduling for over-seeding.
This Saturday and Sunday starts the season with our Free Concert in the Park and Movie in the Park!
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
September 30, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|