Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: September 23, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – September 23, 2019
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot Mill and Resurface Project is in progress. Due to unstable soil, we will be removing the expansive clay base and redistribute the aggregate base and recompact so we can lay down the asphalt and complete this project.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – Room closure started Monday, 9-23-19 with Facilities Maintenance employees moving and storing critical equipment, furniture, and project-saved components in advance of the anticipated Maricopa Permit and project start. GC DFG Builders will begin initial demolition on Thursday, 9/26.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – Closure dates for the Liner Replacement Project have been set for September 30 with an anticipated reopening on Nov. 11. This includes the scheduling of Facility Maintenance Projects as well as staff conducting a deep cleaning of the Facility during the Kuentz shutdown.
- The Beardsley Aquatics and Fitness Room reopened last Monday. Unfortunately, the spa was not reopened as the replacement heater ordered was a new design of the old heater and could not be installed as is. We will have to reconfigure the system before it can be installed. We had no prior notification of the design change and are waiting for the bids to come in to reconfigure the venting system with something that will work with the replacement heater.
- Update on the A/C replacements at Palm Ridge: Of the Six A/C Units scheduled to be replaced, two were installed this past Saturday and four are scheduled to be installed this coming Saturday in conjunction with the work being performed by the contractors.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- We have closed R.H. Johnson Swim and Fitness beginning Monday, 9/23 and reopening on Friday, 9/27. During the closure we will be addressing electrical and plumbing repairs and giving the Facility a thorough cleaning. Massage Services will be moved to Beardsley during this shutdown and located in the exercise room in the training offices
- The Palm Ridge Activity Center Building will be closed 6:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, 9-28-19. Four new replacement AC units are being installed and for safety reasons, this part of the Facility will be closed until the crane sets the last of the four A/C Units down on the roof.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- Riley attended the Women’s Club General meeting last week.
- Any water bottles approved to be left at pool side during exercise class must be kept in the designated space made available for this purpose.
- We hosted the Valley of the Sun Tournament last week for 284 bowlers. The Tournament went very well and there was one 300 game bowled by a non-resident bowler. Congratulations to all on a great Tournament.
- At our Sunday NFL Event, 76 attended the first game and 32 attended the 2nd. Refreshment revenue totaled $175.
- Just over 100 Bowlers have signed up so far for the Lona King Tournament scheduled for the 8th , 9th & 10th of The maximum for this event is 150.
- Weekly Microsoft updates may have changed the filters for Association email. Employees are encouraged to check their junk email boxes to be sure their email is being delivered to the correct place.
- We held a group training session on Divi Builder (Word Press) for employees. Several employees took advantage of the opportunity. The IT Department will offer future training sessions as well as one-on-one sessions as needed.
- The IT Dept. is working on the Photo Archive and once they begin to populate it they will ask for staff’s opinion as to how it works for them.
- Our Systems Network Administrator Gregg scheduled server maintenance on Oct. 1, 2 & 3.
- This week we will have the usual activities at the library: Virtual; Reality on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday; Legos Group on Tuesday; Scrabble on Thursday; Chess players on Tuesday and Friday. The Creative Stitchers Club will be at the library on Thursday morning of this week to demonstrate their needlework.
- The library is scheduled to have all carpets cleaned on Monday, September 30. This takes all day to complete.
- The Accounting Department will begin interviewing candidates for the open Analyst’s position on Oct. 2 and select the replacement.
- So far for the month of September 2019 there were 67 APFs with 9 refunds for a total of 58. In September 2018 we collected 79.
- We held interviews for a Photo Taker this past Friday and found a very good candidate for that position who starts on Thursday, September 26. Please be sure to welcome Mary Gross to the Rec. Centers!. We’ve also possibly found a good candidate for the Seasonal Member Services Clerk as well.
- Our September Dance “HIFI” on Friday, 9/20 at Palm Ridge went very well. The Band “HIFI” was one of the best we have booked! We are looking into bringing them back for other events.
- The first of our free Concerts in the Park with Faded Jeans takes place on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets for this event are sold out. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event, but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Tickets go on sale Tuesday, September 24 for our “Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel” on November 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge and our New Year’s Eve Dance, December 31 at 7:30 p.m. also at Palm Ridge.
- A flyer has been generated for the “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. We anticipate having at least 30 entries at this event. We were fortunate enough to get a $7,000 sponsorship for this event as well as several other smaller ones. We will provide a list of sponsors for this event at a later date with many thanks to all! AZ-BBQ has signed up 6 trucks in one month which includes BBQ Competitors and regular food trucks. This event will take place in the R.H, Johnson Parking Lot which will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3/19/20 through Sunday 3/22/20.
- Top Hat Event individual tickets will be available for purchase October 1. Cruise Ship individual tickets will be available October 8.
- Job Descriptions have been sent out to all Managers. HR asks Managers to review, make any changes needed and return to the HR Department no later than Tuesday, October 1.
- Revenue is up 2% for the first 21 days of September compared to last year and rounds are up 6% .
- Jack Stroup will be holding a class for employees on Custodian Training at the Lecture Hall this week.
- Our Coors Light Challenge took place on Saturday, September 21 at Pebblebrook Golf Course with 104 players signed up for the event. The weather was great and all went well!
- Starter Training was scheduled this week on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- Over-seeding starts this week at Pebblebrook, Echo Mesa, Deer Valley and Desert Trails. Echo Mesa and Deer Valley have already closed and we start prepping today. Pebblebrook and Desert Trails will close on Thursday, September 26. All four courses will reopen on Tuesday, September 22.
- Sod will be delivered this Friday for the back side of the new curbing at Echo Mesa Pro Shop and for the grass bunker on Number 9 at Echo Mesa.
- The Softball Field closed on Monday, September 23 and will reopen on Monday, October 14 weather permitting. Todd met with the Club and let them know that he had some concerns about the weather and we may have to wait to reopen until the following Monday, October 21.
- The R. H. Johnson Great Lawn near the pool closed September 23 for over-seeding and reopens on Monday, October 7 should there be no weather delays.
- The Small Dog Park at R. H. Johnson will close Friday, September 27 and reopen on Wednesday, October 16, weather permitting.
October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|FREE Concert in Park – Faded Jeans||Saturday, October 5, 2019||Beardsley||5pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Poms||Sunday, October 6, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Desert Knights||Saturday, October 12, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Rocketman||Sunday, October 13, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Real Thing Band||Saturday, October 21, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FRE Movie in Park – Dogs Purpose||Sunday, October 22, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Ocotberfest – OOMPA||Wednesday, October 23, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru – 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Veterans Day Concert – Pops||Tuesday, November 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||Sept 24, 2019|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|New Years Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
TOP HAT INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 1, 2019
CRUIES SHIP INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 8, 2019
Welcome Back dance – the band was one of the best we have had and will have them back!!!!
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
September 23, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|