Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: September 16, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – September 16, 2019
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress.
- Palm Ridge Activity Center – Door Replacement Project was completed 9/11/19.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot Mill and Replacement Project is in progress. The forming and pouring of concrete curbing is expected to be complete 9/16/19 and will be followed by the mill and replacement of Asphalt on 9/17/19. We are on schedule to complete this project Saturday, 9-21-19.
- The R.H. Johnson Library Virtual Reality Cabinet was delivered and installed on 9-12-19.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation – Room closure begins Monday, 9-23-19 with Facilities Maintenance employees moving and storing critical equipment, furniture, and project-saved components in advance of the anticipated Maricopa Permit and project start.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – Closure dates for the Liner Replacement Project have been set for September 30 with an anticipated reopening on Nov. 11. This includes the scheduling of Facility Maintenance Projects as well as staff conducting a deep cleaning of the Facility during the Kuentz shutdown.
- We will need to review the details of the 30% Plans for the Large Dog Park sometime in the next week or two, prior to visiting the site for a field walk.
- The Beardsley Aquatics and Fitness Room have reopened today. Unfortunately, the spa cannot yet be reopened as the replacement heater ordered was a new design of the old heater and cannot be installed as is. We will have to reconfigure the system before it can be installed. We had no prior notification of the design change.
- A/C Units for the Zymurgy and Ping-Pong areas have been changed out.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Beardsley Aquatics and Fitness Rooms have been reopened with the exception of the Spa.
- The Palm Ridge Activity Center Building will be closed until noon on Saturday, 9-21-19. New AC units are being installed.
- We are prepping for the closure of H. Johnson Swim and Fitness which begins Monday, September 23, 2019 and reopens on Friday September 27. During the closure we will be addressing electrical and plumbing repairs and giving the Facility a thorough cleaning.
- We are anticipating the first delivery of our new cleaning products from Waxie. Beardsley, the Sports Pavilion, the RHJ Library and our Golf Courses will be the first to use the new products.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ . We designed a card to serve as notification of the illegal parking of RV/Motor Homes and commercial trucks to be left on offending vehicles. This process has generated a positive response as many property owners called to say they were not aware it was a CC&R violation and they would correct it.
- Phil continues working with the Agriculture Club to improve the Facility.
- For the month of August, Open Play is up 6%, Total Bowling Revenue is up 31% and Refreshment Sales are up 31%.
- Attendance at last week’s Sunday Football was 54. Yesterday Sunday Football had 92 in attendance.
- 100 Bowlers have signed up so far for the Lona King Tournament scheduled for the 8th , 9th & 10th of November. The maximum for this event is 150.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $774. 20 lanes were being used by 8:30 a.m.
- We will be participating in a Census Meeting on Friday.
- Katy will be working with Golf Operations to generate ads and determine deadlines.
- The IT Dept. is working on the Photo Archive and once they begin to populate it they will ask for staff’s opinion as to how it works for them.
- Last week, Netflix released the episode of “Travels with My Father” that takes place in Sun City West. The Social Media attention that Sun City West has gotten has been phenomenal.
- We will be meeting to discuss the cost and feasibility of integrating Overdrive, our on-line library catalog software with our Total e Integrated Membership Software.
- The CR-4 Form (Chartered Club Monthly Participation Report) is now online for club use. CR Forms are located on the Sun City West Clubs website under Documents.
- Author J. C. Eaton Book Talk was held in the Lecture Hall last Thursday. The 83 people who attended had lots of fun winning raffle prizes and hearing about the antics of amateur sleuth “Phee” Kimball.
- 2020 Summer Puzzle – Last Wednesday, resident Vivian Hennessey gave the Friends of the Library a $500 donation in memory of her husband Jim Hennessey who was instrumental in initiating the Summer Puzzle project. The donation will be used to purchase the 2020 Summer Community Puzzle. Many thanks to Vivian and Jim.
- Tomorrow, Sept. 17, Jane Kauzlaric will give Phil Dauterive’s group a personal tour of the library.
- Banned Books Week (September 22 – 28, 2019) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read all kinds of materials; even to read about ideas some might consider unorthodox. It spotlights current and historical attempts to censor books in libraries and schools. During the month of September, the library will have a display of books that have been targeted for removal or restriction in libraries and schools.
- On Thursday, September 19 Jane will present a program about the R. H. Johnson Library to the Sunrise Lions.
- The Accounting Department has started the process to interview and select the replacement for the open Analyst’s Position.
- So far for the month of September 2019 there were 45 APFs with 6 refunds for a total of 39. This puts us on track to meet or possibly exceed the APF number for September 2018 which was 79.
- We put a posting out last week for someone to take pictures to be used for Member Card updates. We’ve received applications from several good candidates and will be conducting interviews towards the end of this week. During this process, we will also be looking for a Seasonal Member Services Representative for the months of November 2019 through April 2020.
- Our September Dance “HIFI” scheduled for Friday, 9/20 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge is SOLD OUT!
- The first of our free Concerts in the Park with Faded Jeans takes place on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets are now on sale and as of this morning there were only 6 slots left. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event, but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- We have partnered with Del Webb Banner “Stop the Bleed!” hosting a BBQ competition in the R. H. Johnson parking lot Saturday, March 7, 2020! (SAVE THAT DATE!) A flyer has been generated for the “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National Competition. We anticipate having at least 30 entries at this event.
- Top Hat Event individual tickets will be available for purchase October 1. Cruise Ship individual tickets will be available October 8.
- We met with Captain McWilliams of the Sheriff’s Dept. out of D3 to introduce ourselves and talk to him about security for some upcoming events.
- We have been looking into reports of possible homeless people loitering at one of our golf courses.
- Revenue is down 5% compared to last year but we are 4% up in rounds.
- Starter training begins next week.
- Our next Coors Light Challenge takes place on Saturday, 9/21 at Pebblebrook Golf Course and is sold out.
- The Green Team is made up of resident volunteers who instruct other residents who are new to the game of golf. This volunteer mentoring program is also known as “First Swing”. Instruction for 9 to 18 hole golf takes place at Stardust Gold Course. Pat O’Hara is working with the volunteer instructors to be sure they have all the tools needed to successfully instruct new golfers which will include holding additional clinics for the instructors.
- At six of our seven pro shops, we have baked and sold 42,000 Otis-Spunkmeyer cookies during the last fiscal year. At two for $1, this resulted in $21,000 in revenue. It started at one golf course and expanded to six due to the requests of staff and people visiting the pro shops looking for those cookies!
- The new well pump motor for Trail Ridge was installed over the weekend. Water is now pumping from the lakes.
- Final grading of the grass bunker on #9 fairway at Echo Mesa will be completed this week. Sod installation is set for Thursday, September 26.
- Staff will start backfilling the new curbing at the Echo Mesa Pro Shop parking lot this week. Sod installation for behind the curbs is scheduled for Friday, September 27.
- Over-seeding starts next week on September 26 at Pebblebrook, Deer Valley, Echo Mesa and Desert Trails Golf Courses.
- The Softball Field will close on Monday, September 23 and reopen on Monday, October 14 weather permitting.
- The R. H. Johnson Small Dog Park will close for over-seeding on Friday, September 27 and will reopen on Wednesday, October 16.
- The R. H. Johnson Pool lawn will close for over-seeding next Monday, September 23 and reopen on Monday October 7.
- The Mexican Fan Palms at the R. H. Johnson Pool will be trimmed next week during closure.
- Our Golf Course Maintenance Schedule for 2020 is below:
September/October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|September Dance – HIFI||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|FREE Concert in Park – Faded Jeans||Saturday, October 5, 2019||Beardsley||5pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Poms||Sunday, October 6, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Desert Knights||Saturday, October 12, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Rocketman||Sunday, October 13, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Real Thing Band||Saturday, October 21, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FRE Movie in Park – Dogs Purpose||Sunday, October 22, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Ocotberfest – OOMPA||Wednesday, October 23, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru – 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Veterans Day Concert – Pops||Tuesday, November 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||Sept 24, 2019|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
TOP HAT INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 1, 2019
CRUIES SHIP INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 8, 2019
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
September 9, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||454||64%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|