Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: October 28, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – October 28, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress by vendor through completion. Remaining areas to complete are the Aquatics – Interior Pool Soffit, Locker rooms, Miscellaneous Storage Areas and in the Activities Area – The New Computer Room and the New Stained-Glass Room.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – We are in the process of Framing, Installation of Door Frames, Saw Cutting, Installation of Sprinkler System Modifications, completing the HVAC Rough-in. Electrical, Low volt and Plumbing Rough-In is in progress by the Vendor.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – The Pool Liner installation was completed on 10/21/19. Plumbing and tile Work in the Spa is in progress by the vendor.
- RHJ Wall Signage and Courtesy Phone Signs Update; New Craft Village Room designation signs and Courtesy phone signs were installed. This project was completed on 10/23/19.
- Trail Ridge Pro Shop Tile Roof Replacement; The tile has been removed and felt replacement started on 10/24/19 during the 10/24 through 11/19 course closure which we anticipate will be completed 11/9/19.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- The Kuentz Pool has been refilled. The water is being filtered and chemically treated and is almost back up to temperature. We anticipate having the pool reopened for use November 11.
- We are currently looking at the Kuentz Fitness Room Expansion layout and the layout of the old room and considering equipment to be used.
- Staff is very busy preparing for setup of the Fall Arts and Craft Fair scheduled for this coming weekend and tearing down the setup for Fall Fest.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ . We currently have under 70 open/active CC&R cases on hand.
- We have signed Agreements with two new Tour Companies; Kindred Tours which specializes in local/day tours and Allied Tours which offers bigger trips, overseas excursions and cruises.
- We are in the process of resolving some issues with the Dog Park this week.
- Katie and staff are making final preparations for the upcoming Fall Arts and Crafts Fair which takes place on Saturday, Nov. 2 at 8 a.m.
- For the first 24 days of October, League Play is up 10%, Open Bowling is up 24%, Bowling Revenue is up 9% and Total Revenue is up 9%.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $670.
- There were five 300 games bowled this weekend. Congratulations go out to David Bradley, Bill Poff, Gregg Rudd, David Massey and Jim Montgomery.
- The Lona King Tournament is scheduled for the 8th , 9th & 10th of The maximum for this event is 150 bowlers. So far there are 102 paid entries for this event. We will be streaming this Tournament live. Barry and staff are now working out the details.
- Over the next couple of weeks anyone using Association WiFi will see a “splash page” pop up upon accessing WiFi. The user will be required to click on a box acknowledging that they understand and accept the terms and conditions each time they access WiFi.
- The Election Committee continues working on the Governing Board Election scheduled for March 30th of 2020. Petitions for those interested in running for the Board are available for pickup from the Governing Board Executive Assistant beginning Nov. 4, 2019. All Petitioning Packets must be turned in no later than January 6, 2020 by 3:00 p.m.
- The 4th Session of TORCH takes place on Thursday at the Beardsley Facility. Some of the topics discussed will deal with Events, Recreation Facilities, Tours & Scheduling, the EXPLORE Adult Learning Program, the Village Store and Chartered Clubs.
- We will be interviewing for a new Library Director the week of Nov 5. Library Director Jane Kauzlaric has decided to retire and we will need to find a replacement for her.
- The SCW Senior EXPO hosted by the SCW Independent is scheduled for 10/29/19 in the RHJ Social Hall from 9 a.m. to Noon. You can learn about the latest senior health and lifestyle products and services related to retirement.
- In the November edition of the Rec. Centers News, we have 2 pages of Financial Information to catch up on now that the annual audit has been completed. We will also be adding a CC&R page beginning November.
- Our Halloween Story Time and Parade took place last Saturday. 32 children and adults attended the Halloween Story Time. Afterwards, the kids paraded their costumes through the library as they collected treats from the different departments. Library patrons and staff loved seeing the adorable children.
- Michael Box was selected to fill the empty Financial Analyst’s position in the Finance Department and week one went very well. Michael appears to be a good addition to the Department.
- Tim DeAngelo will be working with Dave Bennett to establish blanket P.O.s for ordering cleaning products and services from the new vendor.
- For the month of October 2019 to date there were 82 APFs with 8 refunds for a total of 74 APF Fees. For October 2018, a total of 91 were collected.
- So far for October we have taken 459 photos in the Governing Board Conference Room and 706 photos in the Member Services Office for a total of 1,165 new and updated member pictures for the month of October.
- 300 people attended our first Culture Series Event last Wednesday with OOMPA Octoberfest. The event was well received.
- Our Veteran’s Day POPS Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Beardsley is Sold Out!
- Tickets are available for our “Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel” being held on November 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge and our New Year’s Eve Dance, December 31 at 7:30 p.m. also at Palm Ridge.
- Tickets for “Spring Fest”, March 14 through March 16 are available now. Check with the Box Office for more information.
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have 23 competitors, 5 committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Individual Tickets for our Top Hat and Cruise Ship Events are available for purchase.
- Insurance open enrollment for employees is Nov. 19 through Dec. 05. Employees will be required to enroll for benefits through the Pay Com Portal System.
- We have established an Employee Referral Bonus Program to help with the recruitment of employees. We are currently down 20 employees from the budgeted number in the Golf Maintenance Division alone. We are hoping this will increase the number of applicants for these positions.
- We will be interviewing for the HR Clerk position November 4, 2019.
- Financials for the first 27 days of October show rounds up 9% and revenue up 5% over prior year.
- We held the 24th Annual Octogenarian Tournament on Saturday, Oct. 26, 92 players, both men and women participated in this 8 a.m. shotgun.
- Echo Mesa Golf Course will be re-rated by the Arizona Golf Association on Tuesday of this week. This will complete the re-rating of all 7 of our golf courses.
- The four golf courses open on Thanksgiving Day this year will be Deer Valley, Grandview, Stardust and Trail Ridge.
- Computer Club Meetings on Wednesdays appear to be going well. Seeing some traffic in and out of the Conference Room each Wednesday morning from 7:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. Computer repair seems to be the big activity each Wednesday.
- Golf Course Overseeding Update – Deer Valley, Desert Trails, Echo Mesa and Pebblebrook are reopened on Tuesday October 22.
- Landscape Maintenance Overseeding Update:
- Beardsley Park overseeding begins Nov. 4
November Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Veteran’s Day Concert||Monday, Nov 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||2pm||SOLD OUT|
|Happy Hour – Come Back Buddy||Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
|Hoedown November Dance||Friday, Nov 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|Culture Series – T.A. Burrows||Wednesday Nov 27, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Holiday Show – Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West||Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Spring Fest||3-14 thru 3-16||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
First Culture Series was last Wednesday with OOMPA Octoberfest:
We had about 300 people in attendance but was well received
Thaddeus Rose Friday, October 25th : beyond fun! We had a costume contest and the dance floors were full all night
Best Single: sick man with Bud Lite IV
Best Couple: A Pirate and his Treasure Chest
Best Group: Hippies
The PettyBreakers Saturday, October 26th : this was a fantastic group and such talented musicians
KansAZ Sunday, October 27th : I appreciate the band as they were talented musicians but not quite the appropriate genre.
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020 – Attached
October 29, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|