Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: November 04, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – November 4, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress by vendor through completion. Remaining areas to complete are the Aquatics – Interior Pool Soffit, Locker rooms, Miscellaneous Storage Areas and in the Activities Area – The New Computer Room and the New Stained-Glass Room.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – Structural Engineering inspections passed; the concrete pour is complete. Electrical, Low Volt, Plumbing rough and drywall are in progress by the vendor.
- Kuentz Pool and Spa Liner Replacement project – The Pool portion of this project has been completed. Spa Tile work is in progress by the vendor which we expect to be completed by the end of the week.
- Trail Ridge Pro Shop Tile Roof Replacement Project is expected to be completed Nov. 09, 2019.
- We will be walking the Large Dog Park with Plans in hand to review the project.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- The remodeling of the Palm Ridge Events Office is well underway. Walls are up, flooring should be going in this week and painting will follow. We expect the Events Staff to be able to move in about two weeks from now.
- A tree went down at the Palm Ridge Pickleball Courts and damaged the fencing, a guard rail and took out a light pole. It did not damage the court surface itself. We will be getting estimates and submitting the loss through our insurance carrier.
- Signage has been completed at the Small Dog Park.
- Someone inadvertently shut off the RH Johnson Emergency Stop Button in the Aquatics Center most likely thinking they were shutting off the jets in the spa. The spa button and the Emergency Circulation Stop Button are fairly close to one another. The Emergency Stop Button actually stops the circulation system of the spa, the pool and the fountains. We are looking into moving the emergency button further away from the spa to preclude this from becoming a problem.
- Staff was busy today tearing down the setup of the Fall Arts and Craft Fair that took place this past weekend.
- The new “Signage TVs” at the RHJ Pool and Social Hall were installed and some Clubs have already started using them for advertising.
- We are still recruiting for a 3rd shift employee for the R. H. Johnson Rec. Center.
- The National Lawn Bowls Tournament is underway at the R. H. Johnson Facility and goes through Sunday, November 10.
- We continue to work with Waxie, our new cleaning supply vendor on the initial ordering approval process for the ordering of product. Once this is worked out to our satisfaction, we will move on to Palm Ridge to transition from old product to the new product.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ . We currently have under 70 open/active CC&R cases on hand.
- The Chartered Club Committee meeting is Tuesday of this week and the first of the semi-annual Chartered Club Officer’s Meetings are scheduled for this Wednesday and Thursday.
- Our Fall Arts and Crafts Fair on Saturday, Nov. 2 had a great turnout! Those familiar with past Craft Fairs stated they thought this was the highest attendance they had seen. Thanks to all for making this such a successful event!
- One of the WiFi Credit card machines went down while in use at the Fair but we were able to use a cell tower credit card machine that worked for us. We will be reviewing the issue so that any problems with credit card machines are resolved before the next time we need to use them.
- We asked the Broadcast Club to act as DJ for the Fair this weekend. They provided music as well as Public Service Announcements as needed.
- For the first 24 days of October, League Play is up 10%, Open Bowling is up 13%, Bowling Revenue is up 9%, Refreshments 17% and Total Revenue is up 8% as compared to the same time period for last year.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $821.
- There was another 300 game bowled last week. Congratulations go out to Randy Bianchi!
- 102 people attended our NFL Event on Sunday.
- The Lona King Tournament is scheduled for the November 8, 9 & 10. 112 bowlers have signed up for this event to date. The maximum for this event is 120 bowlers so if you haven’t had the opportunity to stop by and sign up we’d love to see you. We will be streaming this Tournament live and Barry and staff continue working out the details.
- Over the next couple of weeks anyone using Association WiFi will see a “splash page” pop up upon accessing WiFi. The user will be required to click on a box acknowledging that they understand and accept the terms and conditions each time they access WiFi.
- The Election Committee continues working on the Governing Board Election scheduled for March 30th of 2020. Petitions for those interested in running for the Board are available for pickup from the Governing Board Executive Assistant beginning Nov. 4, 2019. All Petitioning Packets must be turned in no later than January 6, 2020 by 3:00 p.m.
- The 5th Session of TORCH takes place on Thursday, Nov. 7 at the RHJ Shuffleboard Room. This Session includes a tour of the Arc Building, Tours of the Facility Maintenance Offices, R.H. Johnson Library, R. H. Johnson Administrative Offices and the Sports Pavilion.
- We will be interviewing for a new Library Director on Thursday of this week. Library Director Jane Kauzlaric has decided to retire and we will need to find a replacement for her.
- Google Representatives will be here Wednesday in the Lecture Hall to conduct presentations on the use of different devices. Space for this event is limited to the capacity of the Lecture Hall.
- The next IT Improvement Council is on Friday of this week at 7 a.m.
- The next TEG update is scheduled after hours on Nov. 13. Users will not be able to access the software during the update.
- Staff was asked for their thoughts on Google Interactive Maps on our websites. The interactive maps come at a higher cost than using static maps in their place. After some discussion we will make a decision.
- The Recreation Centers Company Trademark was recently renewed through October of 2024.
- The current TORCH Class is scheduled to visit the Library on Thursday afternoon.
- We look forward to a regular week of activities at the library including Legos, Chess, Scrabble, the Poetry Group, a book discussion group and four sessions of Virtual Reality.
- CFO Pete Finelli offered kudos to Accounting Manager Tim DeAngelo for the great job he did covering for Pete while he was out of town last week!
- The B & F Committee will be meeting tomorrow with one of the topics being the annual funding of cash flow.
- For the month of October 2019 there were 101 APFs with 8 refunds for a total of 93 APF Fees which puts us ahead of the 91 collected for that month in 2018.
- For the month of October we have taken 1,400 photos in the Governing Board Conference Room alone to update member pictures in the file.
- Our Veteran’s Day POPS Concert on Tuesday, Nov. 11 at Beardsley is SOLD OUT!
- Tickets are available for both our “Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel” being held on November 15 at 7 p.m., Palm Ridge and our New Year’s Eve Dance, December 31 at 7:30 p.m. also at Palm Ridge.
- Tickets for “Spring Fest”, March 14 through March 16 are almost SOLD OUT Check with the Box Office for more information.
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have 23 competitors, 5 committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Tickets go on sale for Breakfast with Santa on Tuesday, Nov. 5. This event is scheduled for Dec. 21, 8:30 a.m. at Beardsley.
- Tickets are available now for our Holiday Show, Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West scheduled for Dec. 11 at Palm Ridge, 3:00 and 7:00 p.m.
- Insurance open enrollment for employees is Nov. 19 through Dec. 05. Last year’s selections do not roll over. Employees will be required to re-enroll for benefits through the Pay Com Portal System.
- We are interviewing candidates for the HR Clerk position today. We started with 7 scheduled interviews, 2 dropped out and the remaining five candidates will be interviewed this week.
- We are up 7% in rounds and 3% in revenue over prior year.
- 18 Player Assistants attended class. Anyone who missed the class can attend the next session on Monday, 11/25.
- Folds of Honor Weekend takes place Friday, Nov. 8 through Monday, Nov. 11. Help us celebrate the service of our military veterans by participating in our folds of Honor Fundraiser. Donation Boxes will be at our five open courses for this worthy cause. $5 donations gets you one raffle entry; receive six entries with a $20 donation. When you donate $20 to Folds of Honor you will receive a Folds of Honor ball marker commemorating a fallen hero. All money collected will be donated to fold of Honor on behalf of the Sun City West Community.
- The four golf courses open on Thanksgiving Day this year will be Deer Valley, Grandview, Stardust and Trail Ridge.
Golf Course Maintenance Overseeding Update
- Trail Ridge, Stardust and Grandview finished seeding last Monday. We had some issue with the high winds which made it difficult to get water down. Winds also blew seed off some greens at each of the three courses.
- Last week we had our first frost of the season. No delays, just a short cart path restriction was needed.
- We hired a new Assistant Superintendent for Deer Valley Golf Course who will start on Monday, No. 11.
- Cart path repair and slurry seal was completed last week at Grandview.
Landscape Maintenance Overseeding Update:
- The Small Dog Park new addition will reopen this Friday. Staff will close the first section of the Dog Park for reseeding and fertilizing this Friday and reopen on Monday 11-11.
- Beardsley park will close for over-seeding on Sunday, 11-10 and reopen on Sunday, 12-15.
- Staff planted 50 new Live Oak trees on Stardust Blvd. last week. We also replaced the three trees that were stolen on R, H Johnson Blvd. 50 more trees are scheduled to be planted later this week.
- The National U.S. Open Lawns Bowls Tournament started on Sunday afternoon. It will run through Sunday, 11/10. Ladies Day was Monday.
- The last of the Fall Flowers were planted last Saturday along R. H. Johnson and Bell Road. We are sad to report that over 70 of the flowers planted last week on 135th and Deer Valley Road were stolen.
November Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Veteran’s Day Concert||Monday, Nov 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||2pm||SOLD OUT|
|Happy Hour – Come Back Buddy||Wednesday, Nov 13, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
|Hoedown November Dance||Friday, Nov 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|Culture Series – T.A. Burrows||Wednesday Nov 27, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Breakfast with Santa – SCW residents only||Saturday, December 21, 2019||Beardsley||8:30am||November 5th|
Box Office only
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Holiday Show – Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West||Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Voyager – Journey Tribute||March 13, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|One of These Nights – Eagles Trib||March 14, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Mirage – Fleetwood Mac Trib||March 15, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Almost sold out completely
One of These Nights Sold Out
Ticket Sales for Breakfast with Santa
Tuesday, November 5, 2019
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020 – Attached
November 4, 2019
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Spring Fest Package no longer available||Beardsley||1993||March 13-15|