Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: June 10, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – June 10, 2019
- Kuentz Liberty Field Update: All that remains of the Liberty Field Update is the Shade Canopy installation with a tentative completion date set for July 8.
- Karl and Russ met with the Scheduling Department to minimize the affect large projects have on the scheduling of rooms. They were able to alleviate most of the concerns Scheduling had.
- Construction on the Beardsley Card Rooms 1, 2, 3 &4 are scheduled for closure beginning 6/17/19 as we begin working on our Space Utilization Plans/renovations. Most of the work on this project will be done in-house.
- RHJ Small Dog Park & New Cell Addition Update: Masonry Block Wall is 90% complete. The Top Cap is in progress. Sidewalk form settings are complete. We will be pouring sidewalks at 3 a.m. on 6/17 & 6/18. The Landscaping Dept. will begin installation of the irrigation system and the iron fencing portion of the project is in progress.
- The Beardsley Spa heater went down over the weekend. Staff got it back up and running for a short while but it went down again. We were able to get the necessary parts and have the heater repaired this morning by 9 a.m. The water in the spa will not be back up to temperature until tomorrow morning (6/11) which is when we plan to reopen it.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- We continue talking to the three vendors who bid for the Housekeeping contract to see if we can improve on cost or performance.
- We continue preparations for the relocation of clubs and storage of their equipment as we begin our Space Utilization Plans at Beardsley on Monday, June 17, 2019.
- We recently started locking the gates of the RHJ Tennis Courts up at 9 p.m. to match the closure of the rest of the facility.
- We have a meeting scheduled with the Health and Wellness Vendors next week.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- We are generating a list of FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions) for the CC&R Section of our website which is under construction. It would help those thinking about filing a complaint in determining whether it should be directed to the Recreation Centers CC&R Dept. or to another outside agency such as Maricopa County or Law Enforcement.
- The Softball Club came in to pay the Rec. Centers for their new infield.
- Riley will be meeting with a couple of clubs this week regarding possible plans concerning Space Utilization.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $700.
- Over the weekend we had bowlers Spin the Wheel to determine the price they would pay for games bowled. It proved to be a lot of fun!
- 25 Women, some from far-away places, participated in a Women’s Bowling Tournament over the weekend. Bowlers came from Denmark, Sweden and Great Britain. The bowler from Sweden won first prize which was $3,000.
- PC’s have been replaced at Echo Mesa Golf Course.
- We had to investigate a security alarm that went off at the Library over the weekend but found nothing out of place. It turned out to be a false alarm.
- Our new Help Desk Rep., Mike Kohn continues working to improve the appearance and operation of our website with great results. He is currently working on adding a CC&R page to our web site.
- Our next meeting regarding the 2020 Census will take place in September 2019. We are making plans for computers to be available at the R. H. Johnson Library for members to respond to the 2020 Census.
- We will be attending a meeting this week with local churches to discuss items of common interest between the Rec. Centers and local churches such as transportation needs, space utilization and social issues affecting the SCW community.
- We’ve ordered large print keyboards for those people with vision problems.
- Guest Policy PR went out this week to address the policy changes recently voted on by the Governing Board. Starting July 1, 2019 all guests are to be accompanied by the Owner Member upon check in. The fee remains at $3.50 per day. Any member who is incapacitated can contact Member Services to make other arrangements.
- Ravensburger’s 18,000 piece “Magical Bookcase” is this summer’s community puzzle. Those participating in completing the puzzle are making very good progress on it.
- Now a summer tradition, the 2019 Summer Reading Club runs through Saturday, September 7. Residents read for fun and prizes and they get to select what they wish to read. All R. H. Johnson Library print books, eBooks, CD audiobooks, and digital audiobooks qualify. In addition to drawings for a variety of fun prizes, those who participate a minimum of eight weeks will receive a coupon for one free $1 book at the Friends of the Library Book Sale on November 16. For more information and to register, residents should stop by the Library.
- Our award-winning Virtual Reality program at the R. H. Johnson Library has expanded to additional days each month. There are three presentations per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays with immediate openings. Also, guests of Rec. Card holders who are 18 years of age or older are now welcome. Guests are charged the daily guest fee but there continues to be no charge for residents. Available times each Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are 9:15 am, 11:45 and 2:00 pm. Each session is 90 minutes long and has the capacity for up to four participants for each time slot. Reservations can be made in person in the Library’s Data Resource Center or by calling 623-544-6644.
- Young grandchildren and their families are invited to Summer Story Time at the Library at 10:00 am on Wednesdays, June 19 through July 31. All residents need is their Rec. Card and their family may enter the Library with them. Different stories are read each week. A kid-friendly craft project follows the stories with all materials supplied. Children not only get to keep their completed craft item but can also take home some fun library souvenirs such as bookmarks and stickers.
- Village Store Manager, Katie V. is working on the end of month financials for the Store.
- Village Store Summer hours are currently 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Mon. – Fri. July hours are 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon. – Fri. and the Store is closed in August to reopen the day after labor Day, Sept. 3rd.
- Our new CFO, Pete Finelli, continues working on the approved Capital Projects List with staff.
- Our Financial Accountant Laurie Wiggans will be retiring at the end of June. Financial Analyst Karen Woods will take over Laurie’s responsibilities and we will recruit for Karen’s replacement in the near future.
- Working on month-end reports and will be attending B & F Committee Meeting next Tuesday.
- Member Services processed 30 APF Fees, with no refunds processed, for the first week of June. Total APF’s collected for June 2018 was 115.
- The housing market appears to have been slower than normal in January and February due to the cooler weather, however, those numbers were up a bit in April and May. We expect June to be a fairly good month as well.
- Our July 4th Concert at Palm Ridge is SOLD OUT!
- Individual tickets are available now for our Summer Series, Kate and the Dream Band (7/2) and the Dry Heat Band (8/6). All shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Check out our Sizzling Summer Series for June, July and August. Tickets are now on sale! Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Cactus Clarinets (sold out), Country Crossroads (3 pm sold out), Dan McCorison, With a Little Help From My Friends and John Gamber. Check the Box Office for dates and times.
- Kasey has a candidate to interview for the open Events Planner position next week.
- Golf revenue and rounds were both up 10% for the first 9 days of June 2019.
- We are looking into software called Golf Genius which is supported by the USGA. This software assists in doing everything needed in running tournaments to posting scores.
- Just a reminder the County Law allows for Service Animals to be on the pool deck but not in the pool water..
- The Automotive Restoration Club (ARC) will be hosting a Blood Drive in September 2019. More details will be provided as we get closer to the event.
- The IT consultant will be here today and tomorrow to perform an IT Audit which will involve various departments (IT, Accounting, Membership, POS).
- The GM and New CC&R Manager James Riley gave a presentation at the June 14 Governing Board Work Shop to update the status of the CC&R Department. Staff has been working diligently to set up office space for the new CC&R Compliance Dept. We have also conducted interviews and selected three highly qualified individuals that will staff the Department. Their start date is scheduled for June 17. We have been busy gathering information and attending demonstrations of different CC&R software that is available for use and expect to make our selection week. Our Webmaster is in the process of creating a new web page on our website to house all CC&R forms/information/frequently asked questions.
Upcoming Events May
June Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Sizzling Summer – Cactus Clarinets||Tuesday, June 11, 2019||Lecture Hall||1pm||SOLD OUT|
|Pool Party – Come Back Buddy||Friday, June 14, 2019||RHJ Pool||6pm||SOLD OUT|
|Sizzling Summer – Country Crossroads||Tuesday, June 25, 2019||Lecture Hall||1 & 3pm||3 pm SOLD OUT|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|4th of July Concert||July 4, 2019||Palm Ridge||1pm||SOLD OUT|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Kate and the Dream Band – 7/2
Dry Heat Band – 8/6
|Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Individuals Available NOW|
|Pool Party –
Come Back Buddy
|June 14, 2019||RHJ Pool||7 – 9pm||SOLD OUT|
|Sizzling Summer Series
|Cactus Clarinets 6/11
Country Crossing 6/25
Dan McCorison 7/16
With a Little Help From my Friends 7/30
Sentimental Journey 8/13
John Gamber 8/27
|1 or 3pm||Tickets Available NOW
Cactus Clarinets SOLD OUT
Country Crossing 3pm SOLD OUT
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
- Cactus Clarinets this week! SOLD OUT
- Pool Party this week! SOLD OUT
June 10, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||420||60%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||684||98%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|