Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: July 1, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – July 1, 2019
- RHJ Small Dog Park Upgrade & New Cell Addition Update: All Dog Park concrete, masonry, painting and solar lighting are complete. The Environmental Services crew has completed irrigation installation and installed new landscaping and sod. L. McIntyre will begin installation of the iron fencing on July 2 which will complete the general contractor portion of this project. The Small Dog Park is scheduled to open July 29th after Facility Enhancing Sidewalks and Landscaping of that area is complete.
- Beardsley Card Room Renovation on Rooms 1, 2, 3 & 4 is in progress. Framing, Electrical, Insulation, Drywall Hanging are all complete. Taping, mudding, sanding drywall, trim and painting are all in progress.
- RHJ Facilities Enhancement Update: Final Sidewalk Pour in front of the Small Dog Park and the Warranty Remove and Replacement Work in front of the Tennis Facility Entrance are scheduled July 15 through July 20.
- Beardsley Recreation Center – General Energy conversation – this Project started with Card Rooms 1, 2, 3, & 4. Accel Electric converting fluorescent lighting to LED panels. The entire Recreation Center conversion is scheduled to be completed by July 31, 2019.
- Palm Ridge Aquatic Center Exterior Door Replacement has been completed. Four exterior/interior storefront doors have been replaced due to wear and tear and Maricopa County compliance requirements in pool areas. This project was completed on June 25 and reopened ahead of schedule on July 1.
- We had a total of 45 projects to complete for FY18/19 and only 7 projects left to complete. All should be completed by the end of July.
- We are taking care of A/C issues at the Boomer’s club, Crooked Putter and Zymurgy.
- We are looking at heavy-duty drinking fountains when replacing older units as the need arises.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- We have finished interviewing the three bidders for the Housekeeping Contract. Staff will be meeting this week to discuss their findings.
- New Fitness equipment has been installed at the Palm Ridge Fitness Center for a week. Everything seems to be working well.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- Our CC&R Department formally started on July 1, 2019. CC&R Compliance Officers are busy answering phones, taking questions and have already started addressing and investigating complaints received. We were able to obtain 52 CC&R cases still open from PORA. We suggest anyone having filed a complaint with PORA that has not yet been resolved take the time to re-file with the Rec. Centers CC&R Dept. Take a moment to check out our CC&R web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- As of the end of June, League revenue is up $2,200. Adult beverage sales are also up $1,700.
- We did not offer a Sunday Special due to the weekend tournament held at the Sports Pavilion.
- The CBE Singles Open Tournament held the weekend of June 30, was won by Gary Estep who took the $2,000 First prize. Congratulations Gary! There were some very good bowlers participating in this tournament as the average score was 226.
- The average price per game bowled at the Sports Pavilion is $2.13 and we are up 710 games bowled as comparted to last year at the same time.
- July 14 we are hosting an Over 50’s Tournament at Johnson Lanes.
- The Lona King Tournament that is scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 will accept 150 bowlers. We currently have 75 registrations for this event and the spots are filling up fast!
- Village Store Summer hours for July are currently 9 a.m. to 1 p.m., Mon. – Fri. and the Store is closed in August, scheduled to reopen the day after Labor Day, Sept. 3rd.
- On June 29 at 2:43 p.m. our puzzlers completed the first library summer puzzle. They started it on June 5 at 9:30 a.m. and it took a total of 19 days and a total of 652.5 hours to complete. On June 29 our puzzlers began their 2nd 18,000-piece puzzle at 10:30 a.m. This is not a new puzzle but a puzzle revisited.
- The Rec. Centers has added three new handicap spaces in the parking lot outside the Data Resource Center (DRC). We are currently in the process of placing signage in front of each space. This is a welcome addition to the DRC as there previously were no handicap spaces designated for this area. Thanks go out to the HR Safety Committee for being instrumental in making this happen.
- Tame the Tech Tiger was well received. These classes are given on a monthly basis and cover introduction to Android and Apple devices. We offer morning and afternoon sessions. Each session can hold 14 attendees. A total of 26 attendees were at our last session on June 28.
- Now a summer tradition, the 2019 Summer Reading Club runs through Saturday, September 7. Residents read for fun and prizes and they get to select what they wish to read. All R. H. Johnson Library print books, eBooks, CD audiobooks, and digital audiobooks qualify. In addition to drawings for a variety of fun prizes, those who participate a minimum of eight weeks will receive a coupon for one free $1 book at the Friends of the Library Book Sale on November 16. For more information and to register, residents should stop by the Library.
- Our award-winning Virtual Reality program at the R. H. Johnson Library has expanded to additional days each month. There are three presentations per day on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays with immediate openings. Also, guests of Rec. Card holders who are 18 years of age or older are now welcome. Guests are charged the daily guest fee but there continues to be no charge for residents. Available times each Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday are 9:15 am, 11:45 and 2:00 pm. Each session is 90 minutes long and has the capacity for up to four participants for each time slot. Reservations can be made in person in the Library’s Data Resource Center or by calling 623-544-6644.
- Young grandchildren and their families are invited to Summer Story Time at the Library at 10:00 am on Wednesdays through July 31. All residents need is their Rec. Card and their family may enter the Library with them. Different stories are read each week. A kid-friendly craft project follows the stories with all materials supplied. Children not only get to keep their completed craft item but can also take home some fun library souvenirs such as bookmarks and stickers.
- We continue reviewing all cell tower leases to determine if there are any opportunities there for us.
- We have between $650K – $700K in unrealized gains/Dividends for June with our Vanguard Funds.
- We will be interviewing candidates for the Accounting Analyst’s position within the next two weeks.
- We met with our Audit Firm on Tuesday of last week. Their field work will begin in late July and the filings for 401K, income statement and tax need to be completed by November 15.
- We are reviewing the last Reserve Study and 1,500 items listed as assets. We have plans to begin updating the Reserve Study on a monthly basis.
- As of last Friday (6/28) Member Services processed 129 APF Fees, less 13 refunds which totaled 116 for the month of June. Total APF’s collected for June 2018 was 115. We are down about 49 compared to last year for the same time period.
- Membership developed a Medical Guest Pass. It is the only card that will allow unaccompanied guests access to Rec. Centers facilities. Anyone applying for the medical card is required to produce a letter from their doctor stating the reason they are unable to accompany and check in their guests and bring letter into Member Services to apply for a medical Guest Pass.
- Our July 4th Concert at Palm Ridge is SOLD OUT!
- Individual tickets are available for our remaining Summer Series Program, the Dry Heat Band (8/6). Shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Check out our Sizzling Summer Series for July and August. Tickets are now on sale! Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Dan McCorison, With a Little Help From My Friends, Sentimental Journey and John Gamber. Check the Box Office for dates and times.
- Join us for our Dive-In Movie at the R. H. Johnson Pool on at dusk on Friday, July 12 which features “Aquaman”. The next Dive-In Movie, “the Meg”, is scheduled for July 26.
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27. The location for this event is Beardsley Park at 7 p.m.
- Golf revenue is up 5% and rounds are up 8% for the month of June 2019 as compared to the same time last year. Year to Date we are 3% down on revenue and 1% down on rounds at the end of the Fiscal Year.
- We are offering a Golf Special for July and August which we advertised in a Luke Air Force Base publication. The special is a 2 for 1 round of golf on Saturdays and Sundays after 9:00 a.m. during the months of July and August.
- We have starter Training on TEI software updates recently made scheduled for Monday and Tuesday of next week
- Golf Ops Management has a meeting scheduled this week with Golf Now.
- Pat O’Hara had a phone conference with TEI to inquire about setting up a nine-hole tee sheet template for Stardust to accommodate beginning golfers and those golfers no longer able to play 18 holes to increase play.
- Deer Valley Golf Course closed on July 1 for summer projects and will reopen on Tuesday, October 22. The open major project that we have planned for this summer is the releveling of the driving range tee. Other small in-house projects will include restoring greens to their original size, leveling the green tees and enlarging the white tee on hole #2.
- New sand for the Echo Mesa bunker project is scheduled to be delivered on Wed., July 10. The Bunker Project should be completed sometime in mid-August. The golf course will reopen On Tuesday, Oct. 22.
- Due to the unseasonably cool month of May, the Summer Bermuda Grass growth looks to be about one month behind. We should expect to see more transition areas pop up over the next month especially on the common Bermuda courses Stardust, Pebblebrook, Echo Mesa and Grandview. The 328 Bermuda courses, Trail Ridge, Desert Trails and Deer Valley are transitioning much better.
- Pebblebrook Golf Course reopens tomorrow. The next course closure will be at Stardust on Thursday, July 11. This will be the start of our summer aerification. The course will reopen Tuesday, July 16.
- Staff will finish installing irrigation today at the Small Dog Park. New ¼ minus rock will start going in tomorrow, riprap will go in on Friday, 3,500 sq. ft. of sod will be installed on Tuesday 7-9 and two trees are scheduled to be planted this fall. Reopening o the Park is scheduled for Monday, July 29.
- Aerification at Johnson Lawn Bowls is scheduled for next week. This will be a 3/8 core with sand top-dressing. We will always have 1 court open for play.
July Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Summer Series – Kate and the Dream||Tuesday, July 2, 2019||Palm Ridge||1 & 3pm||Still Available|
|4th of July Concert –||Thursday, July 4, 2019||Palm Ridge||1pm||SOLD OUT|
|Dive in Movie – Aquaman||Friday, July 12, 2019||RHJ Pool||Dusk||No Tickets needed|
|Sizzling Summer – Dan McCorison||Tuesday, July 16, 2019||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|Dive in Movie – The Meg||Friday, July 26, 2019||RHJ Pool||Dusk||No tickets needed|
|Sizzling Summer – Beatles Tribute||Tuesday, July 30, 2019||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Summer Series||Dry Heat Band – 8/6||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer||Sentimental Journey||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer||John Gamber||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
- Kate and the Dream Band 3pm and 7pm
- 4th of July Performance
July 1, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||432||62%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||689||98%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|