Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: January 22, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – January 22, 2018
- We expect to have the RHJ Library and Sports Pavilion Parking Lot Lighting Project completed before the ARC Auto Show.
- The ARC Plans are still being reviewed by Maricopa County and the Grading and Drainage Engineer. We are ready to begin this project once the plans have been approved.
- We will be meeting this week to discuss asphalt.
- The ForeSite Representative was here to check into a hole under the deck at RHJ Pool which we thought might be attributed to an irrigation problem. We opened up the hole a bit, turned on the irrigation system but detected no leakage. We kept the hole open, blocking it off from pedestrians, until we can determine what caused the problem in the first place.
- One of the filters at the RHJ Pool still has a small leak. The vendor will attempt to repair it for the third time. If the repair does not work, they will replace the filter with a new one.
- Climatech is working or rewiring all the A/C – HVAC Units throughout the R. H. Johnson Center. The old wires are about 18 years old and they need to be replaced.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Jan. 23 featuring guitarist Stewart Richline.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Jan. 22 . Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Join us on Jan. 24 at 6 p.m. out on the RHJ Great Lawn for Happy Hour! Entertainment is provided by Desert Sky, a high-energy vocal dance band with more than 30 years of studio and stage experience.
- Our January Dance with Johnny K and Kompany is at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is sold out!
- The 40th Anniversary Lizard Scavenger Hunt is proving to be extremely popular. From Jan. 15 through Feb. 15 many will attempt to locate all the colorful Lizards hidden throughout the Sun City West Rec. Centers Activity Centers Club Rooms, Walking Trails and Golf Courses. This event will be wrapped up on Sunday, Feb. 18 beginning 4 p.m. on the RHJ Great Lawn.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $851.
- To date 36 have signed up for our Big Bowl Party being held on Sunday, February 4.
- Congratulations again go out to Jim Montgomery who bowled another 300-game last week. Jim has bowled 54 300 games to date. I’d also like to congratulate Dana Barrett who bowled a 300-game last week as well! Way to go Dana!
- Saturday sales at the Village Store were very good.
- We will be holding a meeting on Feb.15 regarding the Spring Arts & Crafts Fair.
- There was an excellent turnout for New York Times Bestselling Author Brad Taylor on January 9, 2018 for his book talk and signing. Taylor spoke for 1 ½ hours and he included a discussion of current global security threats.
- Sun City West resident Cedomir (Chad) Brcic presented his book, From Figs to Oranges: Stories from a Dalmation Immigrant’s Life at a “Chat with Local Authors” on January 16, 2018.
- Author Dr. Paul McDevitt will present a program about some of the important World War II Battles in the Pacific at 11:00 a.m. on January 24, 2018 in the Social Hall. All are welcome; tickets are not required.
- Vinny Alascia, Adult Services Supervisor of the Maricopa County Library District Northwest Regional Library in Surprise, presents the basics of choosing an HD Antenna, exploring video streaming devices, and choosing the right streaming service at 1:30 p.m. on January 24 in the Lecture Hall. All are welcome but seating is limited. Tickets are not required.
- The Surprise Chamber of Commerce Candidate Forum for the open Senate seat in our District 8 went well this weekend.
- The Our Neighborhood Network (ONN) will be offering a series of speakers on different topics on selected Monday’s beginning today, Monday, Jan. 22 – Staying Connected for Longevity & Quality of Life from 9:30 to 11:00 a.m. All seminars will be in the SCW Foundation Webb Room at 14465 R. H. Johnson Blvd. Classes are free but you must call to register (623-207-1703). Other seminars include:
- Monday Feb. 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Transportation Options for the Northwest Valley
- Monday, March 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Making the Most of Limited Resources: Tips for You and Your Neighbors.
- Monday, March 19, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – It could Happen to You: Don’t Leave Your Loved Ones Guessing.
- As Sun Health celebrates the 30 Year Anniversary of the Banner Del E. Webb Medical Center, you are invited to join us for a Special Presentation with Legendary Football Coach Lou Holtz on Tuesday, Feb. 13, 2018 from 10:00 to 11:30 am at the Palm Ridge Recreation Center. This event is open to the public. Registration is not required.
- A Sleep Disorder & Brain Health Presentation will be held at 10 a.m. in the Lecture Hall on Monday, Jan. 29th. Movement disorders will also be discussed.
- There will be a display of historical photos at the R. H. Johnson Library beginning 2/1/18 if you’d like to stop by for a visit.
- Be sure to visit our Facebook Page if you’d like to participate in our 40th Anniversary Trivia Contest. Beginning Feb. 01, there will be a different question every other day through Feb. 19. All correct answers each day will be entered into a drawing for a prize which includes tickets to the Arizona Renaissance Fair. There will be 10 prizes awarded. We’d like to hear from you!
- Our CFO is happy to report that we are currently right at budget.
- Greens Aerification was completed at Grandview Golf Course last week and will begin at Deer Valley and Trail Ridge Golf Courses this week. Course closures are not necessary as this is done by using a 3/8” tine to create holes in the greens to aerify and once the greens are rolled no one will notice it was even done. There will be no impact on golf rounds.
- There were frost delays at our golf courses this morning and cart path restrictions were put in place. We expect further frost delays this week.
- So far for the month of January 2018, we saw golf revenue go up to $35,000 and rounds up 1,200.
- 80 golfers have signed up for our 40th Anniversary Tournament that follows the 5K Run. This Tournament is on Saturday, February 17, 2018 and is SOLD OUT.
- Our Michelob Challenge took place at Deer Valley on Saturday at 11:00 a.m. 108 golfers participated in this event which went very well.
- We’ve hired three new PA’s to fill the three vacant positions. Training will begin this week.
- We will be starting a radio show on SCW radio station KSCW 103.1 FM. More information will be provided as it becomes available.
- There was a break-in at the Pebble Brook Golf Maintenance Bldg. last week. We gathered surveillance and other information and filed a report with the Sheriff’s Office.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-lighting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Jan. 23 – Singer/guitarist with Stewart Richline
Jan. 30 – Singer Jerry Keizer
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Jan 22 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed,Jan 24 HAPPY HOUR Both shows are free and kick off at 6 p.m. Happy Hours are open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. BYOB and snacks, however, coffee and ice will be provided. Be sure to bring your own chairs. No pets, service animals only.
JAN. 24 – DESERT SKY Desert Sky is a family oriented, diverse, high-energy vocal dance band consisting of seasoned musicians with more than 30 years each of studio and stage experience in classic country and rock music. Beginning with Mark and Doc, having performed together since the ’80s, bringing on John has rounded out the rhythm end of the band and its dynamic vocals. The band is comprised of Mark Doyle, vocals, drums and percussion; Mark Hollingsworth, vocals, guitars and bass; John Hodgson, vocals, bass and guitars.
Fri Jan 26 JANUARY DANCE with Johnny K and Kompany, 7 pm at Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!