Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: December 18, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – December 18, 2017
- Kuentz Craft Room #3 was completed on 12/14/17. Craft Room #4 will be closed on 12/18/17 through 12/22/17 and this will complete the Kuentz Craft Room Cabinet Refacing Project.
- The Palm Ridge Pool Shade Canopies Project was completed 12/14/17.
- It looks as if the next phase of the ARC Building project (Automobile Restoration Club) will begin the 2nd week in January 2018.
- Facility Maintenance Staff continues to stay current on scheduled maintenance work throughout all of our facilities.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Dec. 19 featuring singer/guitarist John Hodgson.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Dec. 11. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- 1,600 people attended Christmas with the Duttons on Dec. 12 at Palm Ridge.
- Over 1,000 joined us for Holiday in the Park at Beardsley Park on Friday, Dec. 15 from 3 to 7 pm. We’ve received many good comments on this event, everyone seeming to have a good time!
- We have 30 entries in our parade for the 40th
- Our New Years Eve events are sold out.
- We’ve met with the Landscape Architect and Clubs to discuss our vision and what we would like to see for the future of our Dog Parks.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $496.
- 51 attended NFL Sunday. This was the last NFL Sunday until the Super Bowl is played in February 2018
- Sales at the Village Store continue to be strong on the weekend due to the Holiday Season.
- New York Times Bestselling Author Brad Taylor will visit Sun City West on January 9, 2018 in the Lecture Hall. The library will begin distributing complimentary tickets this week. Members of the Friends of the Library will have priority on ticket sales December 13 and 14. We will continue with Sun City West residents on December 15. People without tickets will be admitted only if seats are available.
- Visiting kids made a Christmas tree ornament at our Holiday in the Park Event at the Library’s Craft Table last Friday.
- Two virtual Reality sessions were held on Friday, December 15. Two additional sessions will be held on Wednesday, December 20 to make up for the sessions canceled on December 8 due to the COX Communications outage.
- The Library will be closed on Saturday, December 23 and Saturday December 30. Library Director Jane Kauzlaric will be off December 21 and return December 27.
- The Library will be offering a Winter Story Time for visiting children and their families on Wednesday, December 27 at 10:00 a.m. encore Needle and Craft will be making a special wall hanging for this event.
- Even with the upcoming holidays, the library groups (Legos, Beginning Chess, Scrabble, Wicked Witch, Chess, Poetry, Writers, and the five book discussion groups) continue to meet as usual.
- As a reminder, we have established an email address that Sun City West residents should use to request the ability to vote on-line in the March 2018 Governing Board Election. For those interested, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org which should include the member’s name, Member No. and unique email address that the invitation can be sent to. Members who are also employees must use a personal email address and NOT use their work-related email address.
- Hometown Heroes nominations are due by January 2018 should you have someone you’d like to nominate.
- The deadline for the February Edition of the Rec. Center News is Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. Please submit your articles by noon.
- The Small Dog Park now has Wi Fi Coverage however, the coverage will be somewhat impacted by the Chain Link Fence which absorbs the signals.
- Our Great Plains Software will be down on Wednesday and Thursday of this week for updating and will not be available for use during that time. Total e Software will be up and operating and should not be significantly impacted by Great Plains being down. End of day daily business closings should be conducted as normal, however, employees may get error messages.
- The Golf Maintenance Operating Budget looks like it will be up 1% in Repair and Maintenance (RM) and 0% in Landscaping.
- The Properties Committee will be touring our Golf Maintenance Shops at Echo Mesa, Grandview and Deer Valley.
- There were reports of light rain around the valley this weekend but none was received at any of our golf courses. We do expect frost delays the rest of this week due to the low temperatures forecasted.
- For the first 17 days of December golf revenue is down $10,000 and rounds are down 557 compared to the same time period last year.
- 104 golfers participated in our Night Golf Tournament at Pebblebrook Golf Course. It was a great event!
- The Men’s Team, Round Robin Match Play Tournament on December 16 & 17 at Deer Valley went very well. 36 golfers signed up for this event and we plan to expand it next year.
- 80 golfers have signed up for our 40th Anniversary Tournament that follows the 5K Run. This Tournament on Saturday, February 17, 2018 is SOLD OUT.
- We are working on setting up AED and CPR Training for our Players Assistants.
- Four golf courses are closing on Christmas Day and three will be open. Open courses include Pebblebrook, Trail Ridge and Echo Mesa.
- HR Staff busy working a lot of end-of-the-year projects needing to be taken care of before the new year.
- We will be holding makeup sessions for the Annual Chartered Clubs Treasurer’s Meetings for those who were not able to attend last week’s meeting for their clubs.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our 7th Season high-lighting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Dec. 19 – Singer/Guitarist Johns Hodgson
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Sat Dec 31 NEW YEARS EVE DINNER AND DANCE, Palm Ridge, Usher in the New Year with the Recreation Centers of Sun City West at its annual New Year’s Eve Dance, Sunday, Dec. 31, at Palm Ridge Rec Center. Much like last year’s celebration, there will be two ticket options to choose from – dinner/dance or dessert/dance. Cost is $55 per person for dinner or $35 per person for dessert. Dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m. with doors opening at 7 while dessert will be from 8:45 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. with doors opening at 8:30. Tickets go fast, so hurry! Tickets are on sale at suncitywest.com or at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 RH Johnson Blvd. This event is open to the public. Join the Rec Centers for our 2018 New Year’s Eve Dance with some upbeat dancing with music by The Newtones and delicious food to ring in the New Year! Formerly the Realtones Band, they are now The Newtones Band for the 2017-18 season. The Newtones Band will play anything that keeps the dance floor packed and the party rockin’! The Newtones Band features a new lead vocalist – Jackie Lopez. This Chicago native got her start as a Selena Quintanilla tribute artist at 9 years old. Jackie’s voice is powerful, yet soothing with the ability to easily cover various genres. Gil Donatelli is The Newtones band leader and is a cum laude graduate of Berklee College of Music in Boston. He moved to Arizona in 2006 and is active in the local music scene. A photo booth will be available at no extra charge with pictures to take home that evening. Food will be catered by Classic Catering. The menu is available online at member.suncitywest.com/event and click on the Dec. 31 event, or pick one up at the Box Office at R.H. Johnson. The Newtones begin at 9 p.m., will ring in the New Year at midnight and finish off the party at 12:30 a.m