Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 26, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 26, 2019
- Beardsley Rec. Center – General Energy Conservation (Excel Electric) – FY18-19 Project – Completed 8-21-19.
- RHJ Library Ops & Public Restroom Remodel – FY19-20 Project – Flooring, tile, countertops and plumbing are complete. Painting is in progress and we anticipate completion 8-30-19. The main library continues daily operation with no disturbance.
- RHJ Activity Center – Ping Pong/Racquetball Hardwood Screen & Seal – FY19-20 Project was completed 8-22-19.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Roof Replacement – FY19-20 Project – completed 8/18/19.
- Beardsley Aquatics Hall Tile Replacement – FY18-19 Project begins today, 8/26 through completion.
- Palm Ridge Energy Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures – begins today, August 26 during the scheduled closure of the Summit Hall and continuing on throughout the Palm Ridge Facility until completed.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot – Mill and resurface project begins on Monday, 9-9-19. As they reach the end of their life span, many of our parking lots will need to be budgeted for replacement over the next 3 years.
- Palm Ridge Activities Bldg. – Exterior Door Replacement project begins on 9-9-19.
- The gas line for Memo’s Bistro has turned out to be a more difficult project to accomplish than we anticipated. It turns out that we aren’t able to hire a company to install the gas line but we are required to engage a General Licensed Contractor to perform the gas line work. We have scheduled a meeting to start the process this week.
- All Members and Club Members, please take note that trailers are not to be parked anywhere on Recreation Centers property, particularly in our parking lots.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Just a reminder that Beardsley Pool continues to be closed for major pool and spa renovations and is scheduled to reopen October 1, 2019. Staff is currently working to close out items on the Beardsley Project Punch List. If all continues to go well, we hope to be able to open ahead of schedule.
- We have a meeting with Waxie, our new cleaning service to come in and provide staff a demonstration of the new products and equipment.
- We have had acoustic/sound vendors come to Beardsley Pool to take check the acoustics and make suggestions for improvement.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&R’s, take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- 85% of chartered clubs have signed off on their CR-6 Forms (Facility Room Reservations) for FY 19/20. A great job by Mona and Jan in finding space for all our Chartered Clubs.
- As of August 23, Open Play is up 9%, Non-Resident Bowling is up 123% and total Bowling Revenue is up 23%.
- First bowling leagues for the season start on Monday, 9/2/19.
- Starting Monday our Fall/Winter Hours begin at the Sports Pavilion: Mon through Friday, 8 am to 9 pm; Saturday, 9 am to 9 pm and Sunday 8 am to 8 pm.
- The Lona King Tournament scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 can accept 150 bowlers.
- The Village Store is closed for cleaning and maintenance and will reopen the day after Labor Day which is Sept. 3rd.
- Mike Kohn of the IT Department is in the process of updating the photos on our website.
- Power Point TORCH presentations are due to Katy no later than 9-9-19. Presenters are encouraged to review the TORCH schedule as sessions were finalized on Aug. 30 and some sessions have changed. Session 2 was changed significantly.
- IT is proposing a photo history archive where staff can access photos and IT can manage those pictures that are stored. This will reduce the number photos maintained, preventing the taking up unnecessary space on the network.
- Booked for Murder, one of the library’s four book discussion groups, will resume meeting on Friday, September 6. This marks the ninth year this group has been meeting at the library!
- Summer Puzzle Update – the puzzlers anticipate completing the second summer puzzle by the end of this week. Both puzzles will remain on display at the library through Saturday, September 7.
- Thanks to Project Manager Karl Wilhelm and Russ Boston’s Facilities Maintenance staff, we expect the library project to be completed by 8/27/19. The new flooring and paint have definitely improved the staff work areas and the renovation of the public restrooms brings the library up to Sun City West standards.
- The Association received the Governance Letter from our auditors Clifton, Larson, Allen. We were pleased with the outcome as there were no significant findings.
- The candidate for the open Financial Analyst position ultimately declined our offer one week prior to her start date after accepting the position. The Accounting Department plans to re-evaluate that position along with the needs of the Financial Services Department.
- We scheduled a meeting this week to talk about Reserve Study Issues.
- The B&F Committee kicks off on September 3. We will have a JP Morgan Rep. there to talk about low risk, high liquidity options for us. We will also review our Van Guard Account, present an update on our Health Insurance coverage and talk about the review of Governing Board Financial Policies.
- We plan to advance one cell tower renewal contract and are still considering our other contracts.
- FY 18/19 Financial Audit is complete. Audited Financials will be posted after Governing Board approval.
- For the month of August we have 71 APF’s with 10 refunds for a total of 61. There was a total of 80 APF’s collected for the entire month of August 2018. We have one more week of August and hope to surpass that number for 2019.
- Re-taking and updating member card photos has quieted down a bit but we expect it to pick up again once the snowbirds return. We continue to work on a plan and to develop a process for taking large amounts of photos and determining the days and times needed to accomplish this.
- We still have some tickets for our September Dance on Friday, 9/20 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets are now on sale. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Our Sizzling Summer Concert at the Stardust Theater on 8-27 was a fundraiser for the Community Fund of Sun City West. We were able to raise $1,200 for this worthy cause. Talent was provided at no cost by musician John Gamber. Many thanks to John for his generosity.
- Kasey attended the APRA Conference in Tucson 8/20 through 8/22.
- We will be partnering with Del Webb Banner “Stop the Bleed!” and hosting a BBQ competition Saturday, March 7, 2020! A flyer has been generated for the “BBQ Taste of Paradise” which is a Southwest National Competition. We anticipate having 30 entries at this event.
- HR Manager Denise Babirak informed us that we received a rate pass from our Insurance Broker for Cigna Health coverage. The OAP Network increases an extra $10 for copay. The PCP Coverage remains at $15 copay. The Dental High Plan will have no increase but the Low Dental Plan will see an increase in cost.
- Revenue is up 1% and rounds are up 2% over last year for the month of August. Golf has slowed down a bit with the extreme heat.
- Our Lady of Lords Church booked a shotgun tournament for the afternoon of 9/20 at Pebblebrook Golf Course.
- Our next Coors Light Challenge takes place on Saturday, 9/21 at Pebblebrook Golf 88 golfers have signed up. The maximum for this tournament is 100 and we anticipate that this event will be sold out by the end of the week.
- We are hiring Call Center and Player Assistants in September for the month of October.
- We scheduled a PA to make the rounds during the evening on our golf courses to monitor for trespassing.
- Mike Williams starts as the new Golf Operations Assistant on September 9.
- Echo Mesa Maintenance Staff finished up the bunker project last week. This project was completed on time and under budget.
- The Deer Valley Range Tee Project is complete. This project was also on schedule and under budget.
- A tour of some newly completed projects as given to four Governing board Members last Thursday.
- Golf Course crews will be performing some general maintenance until over-seeding. The first courses close September 26.
- Staff is working on repairing a break on the connecting transfer pipeline between the two irrigation lakes on hole #11 at Deer Valley. The pipeline is expected to be repaired this week.
- The Staff at Johnson Lawn Bowls will finish the summer dethatching this week. The U.S. National Lawn Bowls Tournament starts November 1 and runs through November 10.
- We continue with the removal of the ornamental orange trees along Stardust Blvd. We had a total of 349 orange trees to attend to. Once the orange trees have been removed, the planting of new trees (Southern Live Oaks) is scheduled to start in late September or early October.
August/September Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Sizzling Summer – John Gamber||Tuesday, August 27, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
|September Dance – HIFI||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets Still Available|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|September Dance||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tickets Still Available|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
Sizzling Summer – John Gamber – we were able to raise $1200 to donate to the Community Fund. Erica will present the check to them at the beginning of the concert.
August 26, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||454||64%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|