Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 12, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 12, 2019
- Beardsley Aquatics Pool & Spa Liner – FY19-20 Project – The Pool and Spa Liner Project has been completed and the Pool was filled 8/9/19.
- Beardsley Kitchen, Card Rooms 1,2,3 and Yoga Room – FY-19/20 Project – This Project was completed 8/9/19.
- Beardsley Club Rooms 1,2,3,4 Flooring – FY19-20 Project – Flooring has been completed 8/2/19. Facility Maintenance took care of remaining punch list items. We wanted to thank the crew for all the finishing touches on these rooms. Great job!
- Beardsley Rec. Center – General Energy Conservation, LED Conversion – FY18-19 Project Arts & Crafts Building was completed 7/31. We will be moving to the Pool Bldg. next.
- Beardsley Aquatics Center – LED Light Conversion begins August 19 through completion.
- Beardsley Pool & Spa Grind and Seal – FY19-20 – Grinding of the Deck is in progress and sealing begins August 19.
- Beardsley Aquatics Hall Tile Replacement – FY18-19 Project begins August 26 through completion.
- RHJ Activity Center – Ping Pong/Racquetball Hardwoods Screen & Seal – FY 19-20 Project – begins August 19. The rooms are closed August 19 through August 25.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Roof Replacement – FY19-20 Project – Roof dry-in complete 8/6, tile installation begins 8/12 through completion.
- RHJ Parking Lot 1 – Asphalt – Seal and Stripe – FY19-20 Project – Due to the size of the parking lot it was scheduled to be done in three sections. The parking lot between ARC and Tennis was done 8/8/19, from Tennis to the Activity Center is scheduled to be done 8/13 – 8/14. The last section at the Facility Maintenance/Sports Pavilion area is scheduled for 8/15 – 8/16
- We will be meeting with Dig Studios on the Large Dog Park this week to go over the plans.
- Facility Maintenance crews are keeping busy completing punch lists for all remodeling projects.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Just a reminder that Beardsley Pool continues to be closed for major pool and spa renovations and reopens October 1, 2019. The Beardsley remodel is moving right along and looking pretty awesome!
- Beardsley Staff is also working the punch list for the Beardsley remodel.
- We will be meeting with Yoga regarding the room set up.
- We are considering replacement of the 45 card tables. It is not budgeted this year and may have to wait until next year.
- Reflective Enterprises Massage Schedule is booked. We are looking into possibly adding a second room to accommodate more people.
- We will be meeting with a vendor this week to discuss the acoustics problem at Beardsley Pool. There have been some concerns about the ability to hear instructors clearly.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- The number of CC&R complaints has gone up. We are getting more reports of problems with RV Parking, as well as weeds. For more information on CC&R’s take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- We will be meeting with the Agriculture Club to discuss agriculture plots.
- We have met with three of the eight clubs we needed to talk with regarding our new guest fee policy.
- We would like to remind everyone of our policy regarding food and drinks at the pools per Maricopa County Health Code. No food or drinks are permitted within 4 ft. of the pool edge. This includes bottled water which may pose a safety (tripping/falling) issue for those getting into or out of the pool if left on the edge.
- The Sports Pavilion was closed for summer maintenance through 8/11/19 and has now reopened.
- The Lona King Tournament scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 can accept 150 bowlers.
- The Village Store closed Wednesday, July 31 for cleaning and maintenance and will reopen the day after Labor Day which is Sept. 3rd.
- The computer hardware that operated the Village Store security cameras was fried during the recent power outage and needed to be replaced. It is now up and running again.
- Our Multi-Media Specialist Martin Aguero is finishing up the new brochure for the Village Store.
- Our new Help Desk Rep. Becca Bird started with our IT Department on August 12. Welcome to the Rec. Centers Becca!
- Kudos to Mike Kohn of the IT Department being ahead of schedule in the deploying of the scheduled replacement of PCs.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library invested a tremendous amount of work in their book sale last Saturday which turned out to be very successful!
- The library project to replace the flooring in the Virtual Reality Room and staff work areas is scheduled to begin on Monday, August 19. The public rest rooms will receive necessary updating at this time. The library will remain open to patrons, volunteers, and staff. The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library, however, request that people not bring donations of books, audiobooks, jigsaw puzzles, or games beginning on Saturday, August 17 until further notice. This will be for the next couple of weeks. The Friends will not be able to sort and store donated items during this period. They thank you for your cooperation.
- The Annual Association Audit went well. Our annual auditors and staff are now working on the certified final report.
- Our new Financial Analyst, Freddy Aston, starts on 9/3/19. Be sure to welcome her to the Rec. Centers.
- We continue talking with several Reserve Study firms one of which has worked with Sun City Grand. Pete Finelli met with the SCG CFO for further discussion.
- The B&F Committee will start meeting again in September.
- We met with J.P. Morgan Chase to talk about changes in interest rates on our operating funds.
- On-line ordering is available for Waxie, our new cleaning company that provides cleaning products and solutions for the Rec. Centers.
- Karen Woods is doing a great job in helping to cover the inventory for Golf Operations .
- Pete Finelli will be reviewing travel policy and employee reimbursement.
- From August 5 through August 9 we had 28 APF’s with 5 refunds for a total of 23. There was a total of 80 APF’s collected for the entire month of August 2018. We are well on our way of surpassing that number for 2019.
- Re-taking and updating member card photos has quieted down a bit but we expect it to pick up again once the snowbirds return.
- Our Sizzling Summer Series Events for August are all sold out. Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Sentimental Journey (SOLD OUT) and John Gamber (SOLD OUT).
- Join us for our September Dance on Friday, 9/20 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge. Tickets go on sale 8/13/19.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, August 20, 2019. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- We will be partnering with Del Webb Banner “Stop the Bleed!” and hosting a BBQ competition Saturday, March 7, 2020! The Events Department will keep you posted. We are working on a name for the event and finalizing some logistics. More details to come…
- HR Manager Denise Babirak and staff met with Cigna on health care usage.
- In the interest of public safety, we have been enforcing pool closures during thunder & lightning storms. Whenever the lightning detector indicates that lightning strikes are 7 miles, we begin pool closure procedures. While it may be annoying and inconvenient to be asked to leave the pool we prefer to err on the side of caution.
- So far for the month of August, revenue and rounds were both up 6% .
- We will be meeting this week on the Grandview Inventory.
- Pebblebrook has been closed for greens aerification, palm tree trimming and other maintenance. The Course was scheduled to reopen on Tuesday, 8-13-19.
- Completion of the Echo Mesa Bunker Project was delayed due to sod availability. Completion date of this project is now set for this Friday, August 16.
- Deer Valley Golf Course Project Update – Irrigation for the new tee will be completed today. 43,000 sq. ft. of sod is scheduled to go in this Wednesday the 14th.
- Transition areas continue to improve each week. Staff has been fertilizing, spot watering and sodding areas as needed. Most areas should be fully recovered within the next two weeks.
- Landscape Maintenance Update – the new section of the Small Dog Park opened Monday, 8-5-19. Both sections will remain open until the Fall Over-Seeding, which is scheduled to start on Wednesday, September 25.
- Fall Over-Seeding – There are 47 days until Pebblebrook, Echo Mesa, Deer Valley and Desert Trails golf courses close for over-seeding. This year courses will be closed for four weeks with no cart path restrictions after reopening. In the past we had a three-week closure with one week of cart path restrictions.
- Year-To-Date Water Usage Report – The golf courses pumped 261 acre feet less water this year than last year for the same time period. Year-to-date we are 208 acre feet under budget or 29.7 acre feet per golf course. To give you some perspective on these numbers, 1 acre foot equals 325,850 gallons of water, or the average amount of water used by a family of four in one year.
- The 2020 Annual Golf Course Maintenance Schedule and the Five-Year Course Closure Plan will be out next month.
- Last week Golf Maintenance Staff removed 83 of the ornamental orange trees. We have a total of 349 orange trees. Planting of new trees (Southern Live Oaks) is scheduled to start in late September or early October.
August Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Sizzling Summer – Sentimental Journey||Tuesday, August 13, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
|Sizzling Summer – John Gamber||Tuesday, August 27, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|September Dance||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tues, Aug 13, 2019|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Tues, Aug 20, 2019|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
Sentimental Journey – Tomorrow August 13, 2019 at Stardust
We will be hosting a BBQ Competition Saturday, March 7, 2020! More details to come! – We will be partnering with Del Webb Stop the Bleed! Events will keep you posted – we are working on a name and finalizing some logistics 😊
August 12, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||440||62%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||691||99%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|