Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 05, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 05, 2019
- Beardsley Aquatics Pool & Spa Liner – FY19-20 Project – Spa Project was completed 08/03/19. The pool is scheduled to be filled the week of 8/5/19.
- Beardsley Card Rooms 1,2,3 – FY18-19 & FY-19/20 Project – Painting in progress. Carpet flooring is scheduled to be installed 8/6/19.
- Beardsley Yoga Room 4 – FY18-19 & FY19-20 Project – Flooring has been completed 8/2/19. We are currently taking care of remaining punch list items.
- Beardsley Rec. Center – General Energy Conservation, LED Conversion – FY18-19 Project Arts & Crafts Building completed 7/31.
- Beardsley Aquatics Center – LED Light Conversion begins August 19 through completion.
- Beardsley Pool & Spa Grind and Seal – FY19-20 project begins August 19 through completion.
- RHJ Activity Center – Ping Pong/Racquetball Hardwoods Screen & Seal – FY 19-20 Project begins August 19. The rooms are closed August 19 through August 25.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Roof Replacement – FY19-20 Project begins 7/31/19 and continues for two weeks through 8/16/19.
- The new on-line digital MPS system for the reporting of items needing Facility Maintenance attention is operating well. We are currently working with the Facility Maintenance crew to be sure they are using the system as efficiently as possible.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Just a reminder that Beardsley Pool is closed for major pool and spa renovations and reopens October 1, 2019. The Beardsley remodel is moving right along and looking pretty awesome!
- We now have a contract with Reflective Enterprises to provide massages, fitness and weight training and other health services. We will be meeting with the owner to talk about several issues including marketing.
- We have a new contract with the cleaning company Waxie who will be providing products and cleaning solutions for our Recreation Facilities. We have scheduled a meeting to talk with them about chemicals, timelines and transition. First to address on the cleaning schedule will be the Sports Pavilion and the R. H. Johnson Library.
- We will be addressing Beardsley Pool Acoustics and lighting in the next Budget year (FY20-21).
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- The notification letter templates have been uploaded into our CC&R software which allows our investigators the ability to generate their violation notification letters and pictures right from their IPads. We are in the process of doing reinvestigations and sending out follow up letters as well as investigating new complaints. For more information on CC&R’s take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- We are happy to report that for the month of July 2019 league play is up 35%, Open Play is up 6% and Total Revenue is up 14%. Beer sales were up 16% and the average price of a game is up 16%.
- The Sports Pavilion is closed through 8/11/19. The Building will undergo a major cleaning to get ready for the new Fall season.
- The Lona King Tournament scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 can accept 150 bowlers.
- The Village Store closed Wednesday, July 31 for cleaning and maintenance and will reopen the day after Labor Day which is Sept. 3rd.
- July Sales at the Village Store were very good coming close to matching the numbers for July 2015. 21% of sales for July 2019 were from the Metal Club.
- We continue planning for the Fall Arts and Crafts Fair scheduled for Saturday, Nov. 2 from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- A community wide APS power outage occurred on Sunday due to heavy storms which brought most of our network down at all facilities. When the main network hub located at Johnson went down it caused phone and computer problems. Gregg Bond, our Systems Network Administrator was able to come in and within an hour of notification have the phones and other computer systems back up and running. Way to go Gregg! Your efforts were very much appreciated!
- Welcome our new Help Desk Rep., Becca Bird. She starts with our IT Department on August 12. Welcome to the Rec. Centers Becca!
- We will be having the printing of all of our TORCH Documentation outsourced this year so there will be hard deadlines for all information submitted for the upcoming TORCH Class. Request all presentations submitted be done in Power Point and not as .pdf’s as they cannot be revised.
- The Friends of the R. H. Johnson Library plan to hold their Summer Book Sale from 8 a.m. to 1:00 p.m., Saturday, August 10 in the Social Hall. The sale will feature gently used fiction, nonfiction, arts and crafts, biographies, history, children’s books, how-to, coffee table and cookbooks. In addition, there will be an abundance of large print books plus many jigsaw puzzles and games, DVDs, music CDs and books on cassette and CD. All proceeds of the sale go directly toward purchasing new items for the Library
- Thanks to System Network Administrator Gregg Bond of the IT Department, the newest update in the Library’s Follett Destiny Library Management Software will be installed today.
- August marks the 50th Anniversary of the Woodstock Music Festival and the Library is featuring a month-long display of books and movies that recall the momentous events of 1969.
- The Annual Association Audit went very well. Many thanks to Tim DeAngelo and Karen Woods for their assistance.
- Our new Financial Analyst, Freddy Aston, starts on 9/3/19. Be sure to welcome her to the Rec. Centers.
- We have contacted two Reserve Study firms one of which has worked with Sun City Grand. We will be talking with SCG to learn more about that firm.
- We will be meeting with J.P. Morgan Chase to talk about operating funds.
- For July 2019 we had 123 APF’s less 8 refunds for a total of 115 APF’s collected. This exceeds July of 2018 which was reported as 106 APF’s. We are starting out the new fiscal year 9 APF’s ahead of last year! The good news continues for August as we have collected 9 APF fees in the first two days of the month. Home sales are doing well.
- The Dry Heat Band performs today (8/6). Shows are at 3 and 7 pm at Palm Ridge.
- Our Sizzling Summer Series Events for August are all sold out. Shows are on various dates with two shows each day, 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. Entertainment includes Sentimental Journey and John Gamber (SOLD OUT).
- Join us for our September Dance on Friday, 9/20 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge. Tickets go on sale 8/20/19.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets go on sale Tuesday, August 27, 2019. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- Top Hat subscriptions for 2020 are available now. Please check with the Box Office.
- Denise and Kasey met with AZ BBQ to set up a charity event at R. H. Johnson for “Stop the Bleed”. We are very excited about this event and think you will be too! More details will be provided in the next week or so or you can contact Kasey Huhta, Events Manager for more information.
- Be sure to welcome new employee Nancy LaCasse who starts with us August 30. She will be working with Karen Roepken, Executive Asst. of the Governing Board Office and taking Minutes for Governing Board Committee and other meetings.
- Through the month of July, revenue was up 2% and rounds were up 8%.
- Last year at this time we had 6 golf courses open. This year only 5. Deer Valley and Echo Mesa are closed for capital projects.
- The job posting for Player Assistants went out this week. We are looking to hire 7 – 10 new PA’s this year. PA’s will start in mid-October and work until the third week of April. A total of 27 PA’s will be hired.
- Grandview Golf Course is closed for summer greens aerification beginning Thursday, August 1 and will reopen for play on Tuesday, August 6.
- Pebblebrook closes for summer greens aerification this Thursday, August 8 and will reopen on Tuesday August 13.
- Deer Valley Golf Course Project Update – New irrigation will start going in this week along with final grading. Sod is scheduled to be installed on Wednesday, August 14.
- Echo Mesa Bunker Project Update – Green side bunkers on holes 1 – 16 have been completed. All bunkers should be completed by the end of this week.
- Landscape Maintenance Update – the new section of the Small Dog Park opened Monday, 8-5-19. Both sections will remain open until the Fall Over-Seeding, which is scheduled to start on Wednesday, September 25.
- Rainfall totals from Saturday night averaged around 2 tenths of an inch. So far this year the monsoon has produced below average rainfall. Hopefully things will pickup this month. The monsoon season runs through September.
- Removal of the ornamental Orange trees along Stardust Blvd. is underway.
August Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Summer Series – Dry Heat Band||Tuesday, August 6, 2019||Palm Ridge||3&7pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer – Sentimental Journey||Tuesday, August 13, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
|Sizzling Summer – John Gamber||Tuesday, August 27, 2019||Stardust||3pm||SOLD OUT|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|September Dance||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Tues, Aug 20, 2019|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Tues, Aug 27, 2019|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Summer Series||Dry Heat Band – 8/6||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Still Available|
|Sizzling Summer||Sentimental Journey||Stardust||3pm||Still Available|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
Summer Series Concert – The Dry Heat Band
July 29, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||440||62%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||691||99%||Dates Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 3PM||Palm Ridge||85||25%||Date Vary|
|2019 Summer Series 7 PM||Palm Ridge||122||36%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|