Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: April 10, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – April 10, 2017
- Running Construction has completed all of the underground pool plumbing and is backfilling the lines. All plumbing lines have been pressurized and will remain under pressure until the end of the project.
- Three sign companies are reviewing the signage for the Meditation Garden and were to submit proposals that will be forwarded to the Rotary Club. Two proposals have come in and we are waiting on the last one.
- Accel Electric has the sign lighting on order for the two signs at the Village Store entry and the south side of the Sports Pavilion. Installation schedule is pending.
- The Scope of Work for the Library Kitchen Remodel project has been sent out. The contractors have viewed the site and proposed scope last week.
- DFG Builders will begin the demolition on the existing fencing around the three Pickle Ball courts and one Platform Tennis court on April 13th. They will begin prepping the surface for the post-tension overlay converting those courts into one full sized tennis court.
- DFG Builders has received confirmation that the seat cap for the Courtyard planters have been manufactured and a schedule for installation for Thursday and Friday of this week.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $470 in revenue and Tuesday’s Bowling Special brought in $220.
- Congratulations go out to Dennis Klein of the Petersen League. Dennis bowled a perfect 300 game last week. Way to go Dennis!
- Staff scheduled a walk-through at the new R. H. Johnson Pool so the Governing Board and others in attendance could see the progress being made on this project.
- Our next Jam Session is scheduled for today, April 10 from 1 – 3 pm in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for two hours of entertainment.
- Join us for our next So You Think You Have Talent in the Kuentz Courtyard on Tuesday, April 4 at 11:00. Entertainment will be provide by Neil White and Friends.
- Join us for Happy Hour on Wed., April 12 from 6 – 8 p.m. in the Kuentz Courtyard. This event is free and for residents of SCW and their invited guests. Bring your own beverage and snacks. Ice and coffee are provided. Entertainment is provided by “Back in Time”.
- 991 people will be attending this year’s Annual Easter Egg hunt is on Saturday, April 15 in Beardsley Park. The event starts at 8:30 a.m. and the hunt begins at 9 a.m. Children will be grouped by age. The Easter Bunny will be on hand for pictures and there will be bounce houses, face painting, crafts and so much more. Children need to be registered at the Box Office and must be at least one year old and walking but no older than 10 years of age.
- Join us for our next Newcomers Coffee on Thursday, April 20 at 9 am at the R. H. Johnson Social Hall. This is an opportunity for new residents to learn more about what the community has to offer and for long-time residents to learn what may have changed.
- 380 were in attendance on Friday, April 8 at the Grand Opening of the new Pickle Ball Courts located at R. H. Johnson. The weather was great and it was a really nice evening for everyone.
- Screenwriter Claire Hutchinson was on hand 10 a.m., Wednesday, April 5 at the Palm Ridge Acacia room to speak about her new film “Lucky’s Treasure”, and how she became a screenwriter. Claire provided an inside view of Hollywood and what it takes to make it to the “big screen”. The film premieres on April 22 stars Michael Ironside (Top Gun, total Recall, the Machinist).
- Our last Chat with Local Authors for the season takes place at 10 a.m. to Noon on Tuesday, April 11 at the library. Sun City West resident Bob Bennett will discuss this book, The Other Viki.
- The Library will have a craft table at the Easter in the Park Event on Saturday, April 15 at Beardsley Park.
- Village Store sales figures, including the Spring Arts & crafts Fair and outside club sales came in at $161,375 which is the highest recorded for the month of March ever
- Security mail boxes are in production and the price will remain the same.
- Spring aerification begins at Desert Trails on Thursday, 4/13/17 and reopens on Tuesday, April 18. We apologize for the error and any inconvenience as this closure was incorrectly reported as taking place last week.
- We will be performing aerification on the RHJ Lawn Bowls courts on Thursday. Courts will be available for play during aerification.
- Landscape Maintenance completed the landscaping at the new Pickle Ball Courts in time for the Friday night Grand Opening.
- Landscape Maintenance completed the installation of the retaining wall between the Garden Rail Road and the horse shoe pits at Beardsley.
- We will be removing the old flower pots at Palm Ridge and replacing them with new ones.
- Now that all the plantings are in at the Beardsley Meditation Garden it appears there is space that needs to be filled in. We will be adding three additional trees at the Garden.
- Environmental Services Manager, Todd Patty, will be giving a Power Point Presentation at this week’s Golf Committee Meeting on the upcoming Bunker Project (reshaping bunkers, improving drainage and adding new, higher quality sand).
- We are up in rounds and revenue over prior year; $20,000 and down only 12 rounds. Range revenue is up $60,000 vs. prior year.
- The Nadaburg Education Foundation had a 74-player event at Stardust on Saturday. We were able to generate approximately $3,000 in greens fees and cart revenue on an afternoon where we wouldn’t have normally had play.
- We continue to prepare for our last golf special event of the season, the Michelob Challenge on Saturday, April 29.
- We will be looking into setting up one or two recycling events with Maricopa County Waste Resources in the fall and spring for paper, electronic and hazardous waste recycling. We will provide more details as we proceed.
- The R. H. Johnson Library exterior painting has been completed.
- The RHJ indoor spa will be closed on Tuesday and Wednesday of this week as Facility Maintenance needs to conduct a leak check underground in the pump room. Once located and repaired we will conduct another check to be sure there is no more leakage.
- On April 20 and 21 the racquet ball courts will be closed down as we will be screening and sealing the floors.
- The final proposed FY 17/18 budget was sent out last Friday. We will be bringing the FY 17/18 Capital Budget to the B&F Committee at their meeting on Tuesday of this week and to the Properties Committee at their meeting on Thursday.
- As we are a point of dispensing training for Maricopa County and public health emergencies, closed POD training has been set up for Apr. 25 from 8 a.m. to Noon for anyone having gone through Open POD Training. This includes CERT Team Members, First Responders, Rec. Center Management and volunteers.
- We have scheduled ADA training on 4/11/17 for employees that deal with ADA issues as part of their jobs.
- We are continuing the process of auditing chartered clubs’ financials.
Upcoming Events: APRIL 2017
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our sixth season highlighting many new acts and all of your old favorites! Join us in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 a.m. Tuesdays for an hour of fun.. Our lineup for January is:
April 11 – Singers Neil White and Friends
April 18 – Singer/guitarist Bud Parker April 25 – Singer/guitarist John Hodgson (new)
Mon April 10 and 24 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. If you play a string instrument or other similar instruments join in on the fun. We supply sound and chairs for the musicians. This is open to SCW residents and guests. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed Apr 12 & 26 KUENTZ HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. The show is free and open to residents and invited guests. BYOB and snacks, coffee and ice will be provided. Also, be sure to bring your own chair. No pets are allowed; service animals only. If there is rain the event will be cancelled.
April 12 6 to 7 p.m.: Vocalist – Mike Linder, Gale Leach, Betty Dorsey, Brian Eichelberger, Glenn Dragish and Cheryl Wagner. 7 to 8: Sid Engle with Vicki Baker, Pat Hundley, Jan Rittemaster and Steve Johnsen.
April 26 6 to 8 p.m.: Drawn together by love for rock ‘n’ roll, Boomerang and The Sunsation.
Sat Apr 15 EASTER EGG HUNT! Beardsley Park, Join the Recreation Centers of Sun City West for its annual Easter Egg Hunt. The event starts at 8:30 a.m. and the Easter Egg Hunt will start at 9 a.m. with children grouped by age. After all the children are finished collecting eggs the Easter Bunny will arrive for pictures. Bounce houses, face painting, crafts, and plus so much more will be available for the kids. We will sell doughnuts, coffee and drinks. The Easter Bunny will show up at 10 a.m. for the children. Parents must have their own camera. Tickets are available for Sun City West residents and their invited guests. Come to the R.H. Johnson Box Office from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday with your rec card to receive your free tickets. You will also need to register your children for the Easter egg hunt. Children must be at least 1-year old (walking) but no older than 10.
Thu Apr 20 NEWCOMERS COFFEE, 9 am, RH Johnson Social Hall. This is an opportunity for new residents to learn about Sun City West chartered clubs and get acquainted with all the community has to offer. The doors open at 9 a.m. for residents to visit with the clubs and service groups until introduction of staff are made at 9:30 and the PowerPoint presentation to follow. Coffee and pastry will be served. If you have never attended this event and are a current resident and want to reacquaint yourself with all that Sun City West has to offer, please join us.
Fri Apr 28 APRIL DANCE with COME BACK BUDDY, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Come Back Buddy is a three-piece rock ‘n’ roll band inspired by the legendary “Buddy Holly and the Crickets.” The trio’s repertoire includes the music of many artists from the ’50s era including Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Ricky Nelson and, of course, Buddy Holly. Tickets are $10 per person and on sale at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd., or online at suncitywest.com. The dance is open to the public. Soda and water will be available for purchase.