Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: September 09, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – September 09, 2019
- Beardsley Rec. Center – Aquatic Hall Tile Project was completed 8-31-19
- RHJ Library Ops & Public Restroom Remodel – FY19-20 Project was completed 8-30-19
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation LED Project is in progress.
- Palm Ridge Activity Center Door Replacement Project is in progress.
- Echo Mesa Pro Shop Parking Lot Mill and Replacement Project is in progress.
- We have a new and updated listing for all the COX Communications Accounts we have throughout the Rec. Centers. This will be helpful in identifying the location of any problems on individual connections.
- It is not very noticeable, but we are still having an issue with the HVAC Units and air conditioning units “talking” to the system. Old wiring that ran over the roof in metal conduit was replaced so that the wires traveled under the roof to offer them more protection from the heat and improve the connection to the HVAC System. We are still adjusting the system.
Recreation Maintenance: (David)
- Just a reminder that Beardsley Pool continues to be closed for major pool and spa renovations and is scheduled to reopen ahead of schedule on September 16, 2019. Staff is currently working to close out items on the Beardsley Project Punch List.
- Johnson Swim and Fitness will be closed beginning Monday, September 23, 2019 and reopen on Friday September 27. During the closure we will be addressing electrical and plumbing repairs and giving the Facility a thorough cleaning.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ . To date we have received 224 valid CC&R violations and closed 154, leaving us with 72 open violations in our system.
- Phil is working with the Agriculture Club to improve the Facility.
- As of August 23, Open Play is up 7%, Non-Resident Bowling is up 27%, League Play is up 22% and Total Bowling Revenue is up 26%. Refreshment sales are up 35%.
- Fall/Winter Hours started at the Sports Pavilion: through Friday, 8 am to 9 pm; Saturday, 9 am to 9 pm and Sunday 8 am to 8 pm.
- The Lona King Tournament scheduled for November 8, 9 and 10 can accept 150 bowlers.
- We will be participating in a Census Meeting later this month.
- Power Point TORCH presentations are due to Katy on Monday of this week.
- IT is generating instructions for iPad devices being used as time clocks.
- Netflix has released the episode of “Travels with My Father” that takes place in Sun City West.
- Chess Tournament – all Sun City West residents, both beginners and experienced players, are invited to participate in the second Chess Tournament at the R. H. Johnson Library from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 5. Signup began at the Library this month. This will be a free, relaxed, informal, non-rated, unofficial tournament without registration fees, clocks ratings, trophies or prizes. Players only need their Rec. Card and may bring a Staunton chess set if they have one.
- Sun City West’s own Ann I. Goldfarb and James E. Clapp, writing as J. C. Eaton, will introduce their newest Sophie Kimball Cozy Mystery, “Molded for Murder,” at 11:00 a.m. on Thursday, September 12 at the R. H. Johnson Lecture Hall. The event is free and open to everyone; doors will open at 10:30 a.m. In this fifth book is the series “Phee”, Kimball must investigate a murder involving the Sun City West Clay and Ceramic Clubs.
- The 2019 Summer Reading Club ended on Saturday, September 7. Prize winners will be notified this week.
- Banned Books Week (September 22 – 28, 2019) is an annual event celebrating the freedom to read, even to read about ideas some might consider unorthodox. It spotlights current and historical attempts to censor books in libraries and schools. During the month of September, the library will have a display of books that have been targeted for removal or restriction in libraries and schools.
- On August 30, one happy participant in Virtual Reality exclaimed, “this experience alone is totally worth my Rec. Center dues!”
- CFO Pete Finelli is prepping for his TORCH Presentation on all things financial.
- The minimum wage issue will be brought up and discussed at the upcoming Governing Board Workshop.
- We will be meeting with the Automotive Restoration Club (ARC) on their finances this week.
- We recently moved some JP Morgan Money Funds which increased our yield.
- Van Guard Investments will be making a presentation at an upcoming Budget and Finance Meeting.
- For the month of August 2019 there were 88 APFs with 10 refunds for a total of 78. There was a total of 80 APFs collected for the month of August in 2018.
- There were 10 APF fees collected for the first week of September 2019. September of 2018 had a total of 79 APFs collected for the month.
- Re-taking and updating member card photos has quieted down a bit but we expect it to pick up again once the snowbirds return. We made arrangements to use the Governing Board Conference Room Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. for the period October 7 through March 30, 2019. Those needing to get new cards or have updated photos taken can visit the Governing Board Conference Room during the days/times mentioned above.
- Tickets for our September Dance on Friday, 9/20 at 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge are SOLD OUT!
- We are making plans to use the SCW Broadcast Club at the Fall Arts & Crafts Fair instead of hiring a DJ.
- Our Biennial Garage Sale is set for Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 7 a.m. in the RHJ Parking Lot. Tickets are now on sale. You must be a member of Sun City West to sell at this event, but anyone can come to browse and buy!
- Tickets are available for our Fall Fest Concerts scheduled from October 25 through October 27 (Thaddeus Rose”, “The Pettybreakers”, KansAZ”). The location for this event is Beardsley Park. All shows are at 7 p.m.
- We will be partnering with Del Webb Banner “Stop the Bleed!” and hosting a BBQ competition Saturday, March 7, 2020! A flyer has been generated for the “BBQ Taste of Paradise” which is a Southwest National Competition. We anticipate having 30 entries at this event.
- Top Hat Event individual tickets will be available for purchase October 1. Cruise Ship individual tickets will be available October 8.
- HR Manager Denise Babirak informed us that we received a rate hold from our Insurance Broker for Cigna Health coverage. The OAP Network increases an extra $10 for copay. The PCP Coverage remains at $15 copay. The Dental High Plan will have no increase, but the Low Dental Plan will see an increase in cost.
- HR is updating the list of employees who are also military veterans for the upcoming Centerline Employee Newsletter.
- We attended a meeting on Monday with the Association Insurance Broker regarding insurance requirements for Club instructors.
- Both Revenue and Rounds were down 5% compared to last year for the month of August. Golf has slowed down a bit with the extreme heat.
- We had 110 Junior Golfers out at Pebblebrook Golf Course on Sunday. They are part of the US Kids Program.
- Our next Coors Light Challenge takes place on Saturday, 9/21 at Pebblebrook Golf Course and is sold out.
- We will be interviewing for PA positions (Player Assistants) this week and we will be posting Call Center Positions this week as well.
- We will be attending a seminar on the World Handicapping System which will be rolled out in January 2020. This is a major change in AGA Rules.
- Mike Williams started as the new Golf Operations Assistant on September 9. Welcome to the Rec. Centers Mike!
- The new well pump motor for Trail Ridge is scheduled to be installed this week By Friday, we expect the water to be running.
- The irrigation lake connection pipe on Deer Valley hole number 11 was repaired last Wednesday.
- The Echo Mesa Pro Shop parking lot project starts today. Staff will backfill and sod behind the new curbing when finished.
- Over the next several weeks staff will be removing the Summer flowers and preparing the beds for Fall and Winter flowers. The first flower order is scheduled for October 10.
- Staff removed two palm tree stumps at the Garden Club last Wednesday. This was a request from the Club members.
- Staff will be changing out the soil and sand mix at the Beardsley Horseshoe Club. This is a very small project and should be completed by the end of the week.
- The 2020 Golf Course Maintenance Schedule is attached.
September/October Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|September Dance – HIFI||Friday, September 20, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|FREE Concert in Park – Faded Jeans||Saturday, October 5, 2019||Beardsley||5pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Poms||Sunday, October 6, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Desert Knights||Saturday, October 12, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Movie in Park – Rocketman||Sunday, October 13, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Concert in Park – Real Thing Band||Saturday, October 21, 2019||Beardsley||7pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FRE Movie in Park – Dogs Purpose||Sunday, October 22, 2019||Beardsley||Dusk||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|FREE Ocotberfest – OOMPA||Wednesday, October 23, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||6pm||NO TICKETS NEEDED|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru – 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Biennial Garage Sale||Saturday, October 19, 2019||RHJ||7am||Available Now|
|Fall Fest||10-25 thru 10-27||Beardsley||7pm||Available Now|
|Veterans Day Concert – Pops||Tuesday, November 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||Sept 24, 2019|
|Roundup Dance – 5 in the Wheel||Friday, November 15, 2019||Palm Ridge||7pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Sept 24, 2019|
|2020 TOP HAT Subscription||Dates Vary 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Subscriptions Available NOW|
TOP HAT INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 1, 2019
CRUIES SHIP INDIVIDUALS AVAILABLE – October 8, 2019
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
September 9, 2019
2019/2020 SUBSCRIPTIONS – (Only 700 seats available for subscriptions)
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||454||64%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
Summers Series no longer available – Individual Sales now available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PMeport||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|