Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: October 09, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – October 09, 2017
- Roof work on the Sports Pavilion begins today.
- The Desert Trails Pro Shop Remodel Project has been completed.
- We are still waiting for new parts for the R.H. Johnson Spa Heating unit to satisfy the findings of the Boiler Inspector who last inspected the unit. We expect delivery by the end of the week.
- Pool filtration is down at the R.H. Johnson Pool due to bad motor. A new motor with variable speed control will be installed to replace.
- Facility Maintenance crew spent 12 hours on Saturday changing out the air conditioning units at the R. . Johnson Librar Johnson Library.
- There was a water leak at Craft Room #5 due to a small valve link in the fire suppression (water sprinkler) system. That has since been repaired and the Craft Room is back in use.
- Our Free Concert in the Park on Saturday, October 7 was attended by 1,200. Great showing!
- 300 attended our last Movie in the Park, “Sully”.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $456.
- We had two 300 games bowled over the weekend. Congratulations to out to Dennis Kline of the Hammer Pioneer League and Pete Kleckner of the Peterson League! Way to go! We’d also like to congratulate Jim Jacobs who bowled an 801 series…not an easy thing to do!
- 71 bowlers participated in the Lona King Open over the weekend. This event attracted bowlers as far away as Ohio. 175 avid bowing fans watched the event on Saturday and 100 were there for Sunday. Bryan Kretzer from Dayton Ohio came in first and won the $3,000 prize.
- As an interesting aside, there were absolutely no bowling equipment breakdowns during the entire weekend of the tournament. Thanks to all those involved in the event. Staff did an outstanding job!
- Friends of the E. H. Johnson Library will hold a regular membership meeting at the library at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, October 12.
- Three Virtual Reality sessions are scheduled for this Friday, October 13. The slots for that day are already filled but residents may call 623-544-6644 to register for upcoming sessions. All equipment is provided.
- The Village Store continues to work on the upcoming Fall Arts and Crafts Fair on Saturday Nov. 4.
- The Fall 2017 TORCH Session has started.
- The power went down at Echo Mesa over the weekend and is now back up and running.
- Any volunteer opportunities we have can be posted at volunteermatch.org as another source of attracting those looking to volunteer their services.
- Grandview, Trail Ridge, Stardust and Desert Trails Golf Courses have all been overseeded and are expected to reopen on Tuesday, October 17.
- The Ball Park closed on Wednesday, 9-20 for overseeding. We reopen on Monday, Oct. 16.
- We closed half of the small Dog Park (First Section) for overseeding 9-28. The second half on the dog park closes Wed., Oct. 18 and the outside lawn Dog Park closed Thursday, Oct. 5. The ARC Building lawn were overseeded Monday, Oct. 2. The lawns at Palm Ridge will be overseeded during the 2nd week of October.
- The new pool lawn will be overseeded sometime in mid-October and the watering schedule will be changed.
- We performed well inspections last week and determined that the water tables are still coming up a bit compared to last September 2016.
- We will be planting flowers at R. H. Johnson and Bell Road on Saturday, Oct. 28.
- Golf revenue and rounds were down for the first 10 days of October about $4,000 which equals t150 rounds. The fact that 3 courses were open this year as opposed to 4 courses last year at the same time could be a factor in this.
- We will be conducting Call Center and Player Assistant training for these positions this week.
- 88 golfers have signed up for our Octogenarian Tournament on Saturday. Five of those golfers are over 90 years old!
Every Saturday CONCERT IN THE PARK! 7 pm, Beardsley Park. Bring your own chair. Concessions start at 5 pm and include brats, hot dogs, hamburgers, chips, beverages, popcorn and ice cream. This event is FREE!
Oct 14: Johnny K and Kompany:. He is a self-taught singer, he has starred in shows with: JD’s Legendary Stars, Stars on 45, The Rags Allen Trio and DJ’s Old School Stars – perfecting the standards and great music of the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. Johnny brings all this experience to his current role as lead singer of Johnny K and Kompany.
Oct 21: 5 In The Wheel: 5 in the Wheel Band plays dance music. They specialize in new Country and Classic Rock providing a little something for everyone in the crowd. While the band has opened for such acts as the Wall Flowers and has had Frank Zappas’ talented sister Candy, join them on stage performing, their greatest pleasure comes from playing for the dancers.
Oct 28: The Newtones : Formerly known as the “Realtones”. This group has played for SCW audiences and always has a great reponse. This 5 piece band The NewTones deliver a variety of songs that vary from up tempo favorites to slow dance ballads and cater to requests for all dance styles
Every Sunday at Sunset MOVIES IN THE PARK, Beardsley Park, Bring your own chair. Limited concessions available.
Oct 15: Wonder Woman
Oct 22: Going in Style
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
10/10 Singer/Guitarist Dale Benson…smooth voice
10/17 Singer/guitarist Walter Eria – New to our line-up!
10/24 Singer WileneKohler and Friends. Country all the way!
10/31 Singer/Guitarist Arlyn Engel…Great mix of tunes!
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon, Oct. 9 & 23 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Fri Oct 27 HALLOWEEN DANCE with the Jan Petri Band, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Rec Center. Get ready for a fright-tastic evening with the rest of the ghosts, ghouls and goblins. p.m. Don your spooky outfits and enjoy some groovy tunes with the The Jan Petrie Band. This Dance is SOLD OUT. The Jan Petrie Band is a local favorite and offers Rock and Roll Music from the 50”s, 60”s and 70”s.
Sat Oct 28 RH JOHNSON CHARTERED CLUBS OPEN HOUSE…Join us on Saturday, Oct. 28 from 10 am to Noon for our RH Johnson Chartered Clubs Open House.
Come out and visit with the clubs that use this facility. They will be located in the RHJ Courtyard and in their Club Rooms. The Automobile Restoration Club (ARC) and the RV Club will have classic cars and RVs in the parking lot in a blocked off area in front near the entrance to the courtyard. We will have the exercise and dance clubs performing on a stage. You will have an opportunity to see the new pool and surrounding area from the courtyard.
Coffee, punch and cookies will be served. Contact Dori Miller with questions at 623-544-6193