Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: November 18, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – November 18, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Energy LED Conservation – Interior Lighting Conversion to LED fixtures is in progress by vendor through completion. Remaining areas to complete are the Aquatics – Interior Pool Soffit, Locker Rooms, Miscellaneous Storage Areas and in the Activities Area – The New Computer Room and the New Stained-Glass Room.
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – All County Structural and Rough Mechanical Inspections have passed on the first inspection allowing progress of Drywall installation to begin at the New Computers West Club Rooms, Drywall and Paint completion at the Stained Glass Club Rooms. Grid Ceiling Project is in progress by the vendor.
- Southwest Gas Corporation accepted our Easement Grant paperwork that the Governing Board approved last week. We anticipate the work to change out the gas lines will begin in January 2020. This work may impact activity at the Kuentz Facility during construction.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- The remodeling of the Palm Ridge Events Office has been completed and Events Staff will be moving in this week.
- The Kuentz Pool and Spa were both reopened last week. Right after reopening, an underground leak was detected dead-center in the Lobby near the TV which caused us to briefly shut down to bring in a leak detector. It was discovered an underground water line was leaking by. The line was shut down and a new line was installed and re-routed above ground to take care of the problem.
- We reviewed and have come up with another possible layout of the Kuentz Fitness Room for better space utilization. Management will be asked to review this option as this would include some increased construction costs and some logistical issues to be considered.
- We have a meeting scheduled with Management from Waxie, our new cleaning supply vendor to discuss the slow transition regarding product changeover and the initial ordering approval process for the ordering of product.
- We have scheduled a Monitor’s Meeting tomorrow to talk about several items including the new Guest Procedure.
- Took a Tour Friday with other staff to look at new products being offered on the market for renovation and remodeling inside and out.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ . We currently have under 70 open/active CC&R cases on hand.
- As our population moves back into Sun City West for the winter, the number of CC&R complaints being submitted has increased. These mainly deal with parking issues, commercial vehicles and yard maintenance. Our CC&R Department has been keeping very busy!
- The election at the Women’s Club last week went very well. A new Board has been seated and we wish them well.
- Attended the Softball Club General Meeting last Wednesday to learn more about their request for on-field lighting.
- We have a Q&A with the Agriculture Club scheduled for tomorrow
- The final numbers for the Fall Arts and Crafts Fair held on Saturday, Nov. 2 were the highest on record! The event was very well attended and one of the busiest staff can remember.
- For the first 14 days of October, League Play was down 13% (due to league play being suspended for the Lona King Tournament) , Open Bowling is up 13%, Bowling Revenue is up 19%, and Refreshments up 43% as compared to the same time period for last year.
- 109 Football lovers attended our NFL Sunday Event.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $890. The Sports Pavilion was packed!
- The Election Committee continues working on the Governing Board Election scheduled for March 30th of 2020. The Committee will be meeting later this week. Petitions for those interested in running for the Board are available for pickup from the Governing Board Executive Assistant beginning Nov. 4, 2019. All Petitioning Packets must be turned in no later than January 6, 2020 by 3:00 p.m.
- The 7h Session of TORCH takes place on Thursday, Nov. 21 at 1:00 p.m. at the RCSCW Lecture Hall. This Session includes Mock Governing Board Meeting, Evaluation of the Mock GB Meeting and TORCH Academy, Volunteer Opportunities, Graduation and Reception.
- We held interviews for a new Library Director last week and have pared the group down to those we would like to offer a second interview to.
- The next IT Improvement Council is on Friday, 11/22/19 at 7 a.m.
- The Rec. Centers is joining a Phoenix Radio Station (KSLX 100.7) in their effort to collect holiday cards for our troops to show them how much Sun City West supports them. We encourage anyone interested to fill out as many holiday cards as you like with words of encouragement, thanks and positive messages to these heroes. Envelopes are not required as that will be taken care of by the Program’s organizers. Drop off your cards to the Receptionist in the RH Johnson Administrative Building by 3 p.m. on Wed., Nov. 26. For more information on this event you can visit KSLX.com.
- Through the SCW Consortium and as Community Partners we are sponsoring Happy, Healthy Holiday, an Interactive Wellness Event on Friday, December 13 from 9 a.m. until Noon in the Sun City West Foundation Webb Room. There will be information on Acupuncture Education, Blood Pressure Checks, Fire Prevention and many Holiday Activities to participate in. Space is limited. To register, visit SunHealthWellness.org and click on ‘Healthy Living Classes” or call (623) 207-1703.
- The deadline for submittals for the January 2020 issue of the Rec, Center News is Friday, 12-6-19. The December issue is scheduled to be out on Wednesday, Nov. 27.
- The Friends of the Library were very pleased with the attendance at their latest Book Sale last Saturday at the Social Hall. This event was very successful!
- Author Michelle Griep presented “A Very Dickens Christmas” on November 15 in the Lecture Hall. 66 people attended the event. Griep, an author of Historical Romances, discussed Charles Dickens and Victorian Christmas Celebrations and treated the audience to refreshments and prizes. Rare book dealers Charles and Sandy Parkhurst brought first editions of books by Charles Dickens to show the audience.
- This Friday the Grandview Terrace Book Club will visit for a tour of the library.
- Our most recent Financial Statement is looking very good! We are $965,000 ahead of Budget. We are positive in every quadrant.
- Accounting Manager Tim DeAngelo met the audit requirement to have Association tax information reported by 11/15/19.
- Our Cell Tower Agreements are in the hand of our consultants.
- CFO Pete Finelli will be looking for further information at the Club Funding Meeting later this week.
- We have scheduled a Reserve Analysis at the Governing Board Workshop in mid-January 2020.
- For the first 14 days of November 2019 we are at 49 APFs with 5 refunds for a total of 44 APF Fees. Total number for the month of November 2018 was 86.
- The number of photo retakes to date for November has averaged about 60 – 70 a day. We expect these numbers to go up by Thanksgiving as snowbirds return.
- Our Veteran’s Day POPS Concert on Monday, Nov. 11 at Beardsley was AWESOME! We worked to seat about 100 additional people that showed up due to a printing error in the local newspaper. We are planning to do two Veteran’s Day Concert Shows next year due to popular demand.
- Friday night’s “Roundup Dance with Band “5 in the Wheel” was fantastic! People loved the Band as they provided some great entertainment!
- Our next Culture Series Event with T. A. Burrow is scheduled for Wed., Nov. 27, 2019 at 5 p.m. on the RHJ Great Lawn. No tickets required for this event.
- Tickets for “Spring Fest”, March 14 through March 16 are SOLD OUT
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have about 33 competitors, many committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The RHJ parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Tickets went on sale for Breakfast with Santa on Tuesday, Nov. 5. This event is scheduled for Dec. 21, 8:30 a.m. at Beardsley.
- Tickets are available now for our Holiday Show, Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West scheduled for Dec. 11 at Palm Ridge, 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. Tickets for the 7:00 p.m. show are 95% sold out and 69% sold out for the 3:00 p.m. show.
- Employees are reminded that Open enrollment begins tomorrow, Nov. 19.
- We will be setting up the Club Funding Meeting regarding the Palo Verde Patchers on Friday of this week.
- We are flat in revenue and up 3% in rounds for the first 16 days of November vs. prior year numbers.
- Our Turkey Trot Nite Putting Event took place at the Echo Mesa Practice Green. 76 players participated. The event was equipped with new glow golf balls and low hole liners which made a big difference for this event. The event brought in over $1,100 in revenue to RCSCW.
- Green Team “First Swing, a kick-off for the Green Team Golf Season, was held on Saturday at Echo Mesa Golf Course. 61 golfers participated in a golf clinic to show what the Green Team is all about. Pro Shop Supervisor Nibby Musso and his staff did a nice job hosting this event. Kathy and Jerry Stevens do a great job in organizing and providing volunteers for this event.
- Folds of Honor: We collected a total of $1,800 for the Fold of Honor which was matched by local dentist Saini Smiles for $1,000 for a total of $2,800 for Fold of Honor.
- The four golf courses open on Thanksgiving Day this year will be Deer Valley, Grandview, Stardust and Trail Ridge.
- Golf Course Maintenance Over-Seeding Update
- Trail Ridge, Stardust and Grandview will reopen tomorrow, Tuesday, November 19 with no restrictions. Over-seeded areas are not as established as the first four courses but should catch up within the next couple of weeks due to the wind and cooler weather.
- The weather forecast calls for rain starting late Tuesday and lasting through most of the week. We could receive over two inches by the end of the week.
- We will be meeting with ADWR (AZ Dept. of Water Resources) this Friday to discuss the fourth management plan which is scheduled to be out in 2023.
- Landscape Maintenance Over-Seeding Update:
- The Beardsley Park over-seed is coming in a little slower than the golf courses due to the late closure of the facility and cooler temperatures. The Park will reopen on Tuesday, December 10.
- We will be putting in additional Live Oak Trees along Stardust Blvd. this week
November Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Culture Series – T.A. Burrows||Wednesday Nov 27, 2019||RHJ Great Lawn||5pm||No tickets needed|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Breakfast with Santa – SCW residents only||Saturday, December 21, 2019||Beardsley||8:30am||November 5th
Box Office only
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Holiday Show – Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West||Wednesday, December 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Voyager – Journey Tribute||March 13, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|One of These Nights – Eagles Trib||March 14, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Mirage – Fleetwood Mac Trib||March 15, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
Happy Hour had about 600 people on Wednesday about hitting the maximum capacity!
Hoedown Dance last week went fantastic! People loved the band (5 in the Wheel)
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020 – Attached
November 18, 2019
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Spring Fest Package no longer available||Beardsley||1993||March 13-15|