Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: March 27, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – March 27, 2017
- Running Construction will install windscreens on the new Pickleball Courts today. Fence caps were installed on Friday. Electrician will be on site pulling wire to the area where the pedestal will be installed for the lighting system. The electrical pedestal is supposed to arrive this week. The leaking connection on the drinking fountain has been replaced. Landscaping should be completed early this week.
- ForeSite Construction is busy constructing block retainer walls at the R. H. Johnson Pool project. Underground pool plumbing is being installed. Masons continue work on the storage building and equipment enclosures. Framing continues in the Lobby area and the waste line has been connected from the Massage Room sink to the existing line which has been inspected and passed.
- Accel Electric is working on the proposal and scheduling for the sign light installation on the two new signs for the Sports Pavilion and Village Store.
- The scope of work will be sent out today for the Library Kitchen remodel. Contractors were here to view the site and the proposed scope last week.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $512 in revenue and Tuesday’s Bowling Special brought in $261.
- We held the Nate Brickman Tournament over the weekend and raised $1,000 for the Lions Club. Nate was 99 years old when he passed and had been a member of the Lion’s Club for 60 years.
- Congratulations go out to Jerry Elser. Jerry bowled a 300 game for the Classic League. We now have 25 300 games bowled to date.
- Tickets are on sale for the Westernaires and Rhythm Tappers events. Tickets for the Westernaires Show can be purchased for April 6 (2 p.m.), April 7 and 8 (7 p.m.) and April 9 (2 p.m.). Tickets for the Rhythm Tappers Show can be purchased for Friday and Saturday, April 21 and 22 (7 p.m. and Sunday, April 23 (2 p.m.).
- Our next Jam Session is scheduled for today, March 27 from 1 – 3 pm in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for two hours of entertainment.
- Join us for our next So You Think You Have Talent in the Kuentz Courtyard on Tuesday, March 28 at 11:00 am for a performance by singer Marilyn McClenahan with Divas and Demons!
- Join us for Happy Hour on Wed., April 12 from 6 – 8 p.m. in the Kuentz Courtyard. This event is free and for residents of SCW and their invited guests. Bring your own beverage and snacks. Ice and coffee are provided. Entertainment is provided by “Back in Time”.
- We are in our third week of Happy Camp. There are many activities scheduled for visiting grandchildren to participate in.
- Join us Wed. April 5 for Dueling Pianos, the first show at 3 p.m. and the second at 7:00 p.m. The Palm Ridge Rec. Center doors open at 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. Tickets are $15 per person and are on sale at the Box Office or on line.
- This year’s Annual Easter Egg hunt is on Saturday, April 15 in Beardsley Park. The event starts at 8:30 a.m. and the hunt begins at 9 a.m. Children will be grouped by age. The Easter Bunny will be on hand for pictures and there will be bounce houses, face painting, crafts and so much more. Children need to be registered at the Box Office and must be at least one year old and walking but no older than 10 years of age.
- Join us for our next Newcomers Coffee on Thursday, April 20 at 9 am at the R. H. Johnson Social Hall. This is an opportunity for new residents to learn more about what the community has to offer and for long-time residents to learn what may have change.
- There were Happy Camp activities at the R. H. Johnson Library last Wednesday, March 22. Approximately 25 children plus parents and grandparents. Stories were read by Library staff, the Humane Society brought a couple of adorable puppies for the children to see and the Red Hot Clowns painted the kids’ faces.
- Author J. A. Jance spoke to 197 people at the Social Hall on Thursday, March 23 at 10 a.m.
- Author Betty Webb Book Talk and Signing takes place on Wednesday, March 29 at 1:30 p.m. in the Acacia Room at Palm Ridge. All are welcome.
- Screenwriter Claire Hutchinson will be on hand 10 a.m., Wednesday, April 5 at the Palm Ridge Acacia room to speak about her new film “Lucky’s Treasure”, which premieres on April 22. The film stars Michael Ironside (Top Gun, total Recall, the Machinist). All are welcome.
- Beginning Chess at the Library moves from Saturdays to 9 a.m. Tuesday mornings beginning April 4.
- We are still working to finalize the Spring Arts and Crafts Fair totals and will report them when they are completed.
- We would like to thank the Lapidary Club for the wonderful Saturday afternoon B-B-Q they hosted in the R. H. Johnson Courtyard. It was a very nice event.
- Golf Maintenance employees are busy preparing for the upcoming Tin Cup Tournament this Sunday at Deer Valley and Trial Ridge. Over 200 golfers are signed up to participate in this Tournament.
- Landscape Maintenance is finishing up the landscaping at the new Pickle Ball Courts this week. We are planning the Grand Opening for the evening of April 7, 2017.
- We will be removing the spring flowers and replacing with summer flowers from 3-30-17 through mid-April. The planting of summer flowers this early is to give them time to transition before it gets extremely hot.
- For the month of March, Golf revenues are down approximately $6,000 and we are 700 rounds down.
- 52 players signed up and participated in the SCW Golf Classic. This year, Don Hanzel won for the men and Doris Bayrak won for the women this year (and the last three years).
- Range keys sell very well and Range Revenue is up $55,000 from previous year.
- The Annual Golf Gala is scheduled for Thursday, March 30 at Palm Ridge. 75/80 people have signed up for this event.
- Voting for Governing Board Candidates in person takes place today, March 27, from 8 am to 5 pm at the Data Resource Center (north entrance). Please remember to bring your Rec. Card or Key Fob if voting in person.
- The deadline for the Rec. Center News is April 7, 2017. Please have all items for publication submitted by noon.
- A Facility Maintenance Crew continues painting the exterior of the R. H. Johnson Library this morning taking advantage of the Library being closed today.
- In addition to locating and repairing the leak to a hot water line near the sink at the Crooked Putter, we replaced the hot water heater and repaired the tanks water line. All is back to normal.
- It will be necessary to partially turn the water off at the Sports Pavilion tomorrow, 3-28-17 in order to eliminate two hose bibs on the pool side of the building. This will take place from 5:30 a.m. to 6:30 a.m.
- The final proposed FY 17/18 budget was sent out on Friday. We will be bringing the FY 17/18 Capital Budget to the B&F Committee at their meeting on Tuesday of next week and to the Properties Committee at their meeting on Thursday.
- As we are a point of dispensing training for Maricopa County and public health emergencies, closed POD training has been set up for Apr. 25 from 8 a.m. to Noon for anyone having gone through Open POD Training. This includes CERT Team Members, First Responders, Rec. Center Management and volunteers.
- We are in the process of auditing chartered clubs’ financials. 58 of 100 clubs have been completed.
Upcoming Events: March/April
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our sixth season highlighting many new acts and all of your old favorites! Join us in the Kuentz Courtyard starting at 11 a.m. Tuesdays for an hour of fun. Our upcoming lineup is:
March 28 – Singer Marilyn McClenahan with Divas and Demons (new)
April 4 – Singer Betty Dorsey
April 11 – Singers Neil White and Friends
April 18 – Singer/guitarist Bud Parker April 25 – Singer/guitarist John Hodgson (new)
Mon Mar 27, April 10 and 24 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. If you play a string instrument or other similar instruments join in on the fun. We supply sound and chairs for the musicians. This is open to SCW residents and guests. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Fri Mar 31 March Dance – RHYTHM EDITION, 7pm, Palm Ridge. This event is SOLD OUT!
Wed Apr 5 DUELING PIANOS, 3 pm and & 7pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Doors open at 2:30 and 6:30, respectively. Tickets are $15 per person and are on sale at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd., or online at suncitywest.com. The event is open to the public. Your Piano Man, Randy and Amy Keith is Arizona’s most popular dueling pianos couple and the only male-female team in the state. The couple have traveled all over the country, bringing their unique perspective and experience to your clientele, no matter where they are from.
Wed Apr 12 & 26 KUENTZ HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. The show is free and open to residents and invited guests. BYOB and snacks, coffee and ice will be provided. Also, be sure to bring your own chair. No pets are allowed; service animals only. If there is rain the event will be cancelled.
April 12 6 to 7 p.m.: Vocalist – Mike Linder, Gale Leach, Betty Dorsey, Brian Eichelberger, Glenn Dragish and Cheryl Wagner. 7 to 8: Sid Engle with Vicki Baker, Pat Hundley, Jan Rittemaster and Steve Johnsen.
April 26 6 to 8 p.m.: Drawn together by love for rock ‘n’ roll, Boomerang and The Sunsations
Sat Apr 15 EASTER EGG HUNT! Beardsley Park, Join the Recreation Centers of Sun City West for its annual Easter Egg Hunt. The event starts at 8:30 a.m. and the Easter Egg Hunt will start at 9 a.m. with children grouped by age. After all the children are finished collecting eggs the Easter Bunny will arrive for pictures. Bounce houses, face painting, crafts, and plus so much more will be available for the kids. We will sell doughnuts, coffee and drinks. The Easter Bunny will show up at 10 a.m. for the children. Parents must have their own camera. Tickets are available for Sun City West residents and their invited guests. Come to the R.H. Johnson Box Office from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday with your rec card to receive your free tickets. You will also need to register your children for the Easter egg hunt. Children must be at least 1-year old (walking) but no older than 10.
Thu Apr 20 NEWCOMERS COFFEE, 9 am, RH Johnson Social Hall, This is an opportunity for new residents to learn about Sun City West chartered clubs and get acquainted with all the community has to offer. The doors open at 9 a.m. for residents to visit with the clubs and service groups until introduction of staff are made at 9:30 and the PowerPoint presentation to follow. Coffee and pastry will be served. If you have never attended this event and are a current resident and want to reacquaint yourself with all that Sun City West has to offer, please join us.
Fri Apr 28 APRIL DANCE with COME BACK BUDDY, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Come Back Buddy is a three-piece rock ‘n’ roll band inspired by the legendary “Buddy Holly and the Crickets.” The trio’s repertoire includes the music of many artists from the ’50s era including Elvis Presley, Chuck Berry, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Ricky Nelson and, of course, Buddy Holly. Tickets are $10 per person and on sale at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 R.H. Johnson Blvd., or online at suncitywest.com. The dance is open to the public. Soda and water will be available for purchase