Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: March 5, 2018
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – March 05, 2018
- The Beardsley Mini-Golf Turf Replacement Project begins today, 3/5/18 with an expected completion date of 3/9/18.
- The starting of the ARC Paint Booth Project is pending while we wait on Maricopa County approval of revised Foundation/Steel engineering.
- H. Johnson parking lot lighting project at the Library has been completed. The back Maintenance area of the RHJ lot should have the lighting completed next week.
- We are preparing for our Happy Camp Event which starts on Monday, March12 and runs through Friday March 30. Bowling will be held every Saturday for our Happy Camp participants! Please be sure to register all children at the R. H. Johnson Box Office for participation in Happy Camp.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $870.
- We are gearing up for our next Spring Arts and Craft Fair which is being held on Saturday, March 17 from 8 am to 2 pm at the R.H. Johnson Facility.
- Author Isabella Maldonado is a former police captain who now writes police mysteries set in Phoenix. She presented a very interesting book talk and signing February 28 in the Lecture Hall. Due to the popularity of this presentation, we have already scheduled Isabella to return in March 2019 when her third book will be published.
- Sun City West resident Ursula Parrent who was born in Germany just after WWII, will be featured at our next Chat with Local Authors tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6 between 10 a.m. and Noon. She will sign My Life’s Journey: My Feet in Two Worlds.
- We will begin distributing complementary tickets to see Best-selling Author C. J. Box, starting with members of the Friends of the Library on Wednesday, March 7. J. Box will sign The Disappeared, the 19th book in his Joe Pickett series, at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, March 27 in the Social Hall.
- The Friends of the Library will hold a meeting for members in the library at 9:30 a.m. on Thursday, March 8.
- Due to popular demand, Vincent Alascia of the Maricopa County Library District Northwest Regional Library, will repeat his presentation of Cut the Cord at 12:00 p.m. on Thursday March 8 at the Social Hall. The 100 people on the waiting list were notified and will be allowed to enter at 11:30 a.m. All others will be welcome to the remaining seats.
- The OverDrive Digital Bookmobile will be in the R. H. Johnson Library parking lot on Saturday, March 10, between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m. It will feature tablet and computer workstations for browsing the library’s large collection of eBooks and digital audiobooks. It will also have a Gadget Gallery for hands-on experience in using the OverDrive app on many different popular devices. Patrons may bring their own devices for expert one-on-one assistance. Library staff will be on hand to enter patron Rec. Card numbers into the R. H. Johnson Digital Library database. Please note that beginning Friday morning, traffic delineators will close off the area of the library parking lot where the bookmobile will park.
- Our Spring Fest Concerts are scheduled for this week, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. See more details in the attached Upcoming Events List.
- The Our Neighborhood Network (ONN) will be offering a series of speakers on different topics on selected Monday’s. All seminars will be in the SCW Foundation Webb Room at 14465 R. H. Johnson Blvd. Classes are free but you must call to register (623-207-1703). Seminars include:
- Monday, March 5, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – Making the Most of Limited Resources: Tips for You and Your Neighbors.
- Monday, March 19, 9:30 – 11 a.m. – It could Happen to You: Don’t Leave Your Loved Ones Guessing.
- Tony continues gathering information from staff to finish up the GM’s Proposed FY 18/19 Budget which will be presented to B&F Committee and the Governing Board.
- Golf revenue is 2% below and 1.000 rounds down compared to last year for the same time.
- 138 golfers participated in the Arizona Senior Stroke Play here in SCW. This event took place at Grandview Golf Course this past weekend.
- We are preparing for this year’s Million Dollar Hole-In-One event March 14 – The Million Dollar Hole-In-One Contest will be held daily at Echo Mesa GC driving range and is sponsored by Desert Golf Cars. Proceeds will benefit our local radio station KSCW (103.1). You do not have to get a hole–in–one to be a winner as there will be prizes daily.
- Golf Maintenance employees are preparing for Tournaments at Grandview and Pebblebrook this week.
- Golf Maintenance employees will be working on Library landscaping; cleaning out the area this week and installing new plantings next week.
- HR Manager, Denise Babirak, will be attending a seminar this week on Investigations in the Workplace.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
March 6 – Singer Gale Leach and Friends. She has a great voice.
March 13 – Singer Mike Leidner and Friends. This is a new act.
March 20 – Heat Wave with singers Joyce, Cora and Jeanne. They are heating it up.
March 27 – Singer/instumentalists Steve Kehler and Friends. This is another new act.
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mar 9, 10, 11 SPRINGFEST, Beardsley Park, Concessions begin at 5pm. Shows start at 7 pm.
Friday is Rhinestone Country–A few tickets remain. Concessions: Hamburgers, Hot Dogs and Brats will be sold
Saturday is Roy Orbison-Sold Out!, Concessions: Chick’Fill’A, Hot Dogs & Brats
Sunday is Tennis River-Sold Out! Concessions: Dillons Pulled Pork or Pulled Chicken
Bring your own chair, Gates open at 5 pm. If you have bought the whole series, chairs can be left on the lawn for the next day’s performance. Spaces cannot be reserved for folks that are not there yet! Tickets are $12.50
Sat Mar 10 CHARTERED CLUB OPEN HOUSE KUENTZ RECREATION CENTER, 10 am – 12 noon. Come and visit with the clubs that use this Rec Center. We will have entertainment in the courtyard along with refreshments. Come out and join in on the fun. For questions, contact Dori Miller at 623-544-6193
Mon, Mar 12 & 26 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Wed, Mar 14 & 28 HAPPY HOUR Both shows are free and kick off at 6 p.m. Happy Hours are open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. BYOB and snacks, however, coffee and ice will be provided. Be sure to bring your own chairs. No pets, service animals only.
March 14, to take a trip down memory lane “With A Little Help From My Friends.” This local three-piece group will perform a long list of your favorite Beatles songs from “Meet the Beatles” all the way through “Abbey Road.” Experience the beautiful harmonies created by talented musicians, Tim Polizzi, Ellie Chaffee and Linda Marman as you enjoy a night with the Beatles under the stars. On Wednesday.
March 28, get ready for the toe-tapping genres of classic rock, blues and jazz with Bleu Passion. This five-piece band will perform an array of upbeat classics that will be sure to have you dancing in the isles.
Thu Mar 14 TOP HAT SERIES–The Scott Record Show, 3 pm and 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Scott Record a comedian and impressionist, is one of the most requested headliners on the world’s most elite cruises. Scott has toured with mega stars including Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Perry Commo, and more. Scott has performed on all the major TV shows and his voiceover work can be heard worldwide. Tickets can be purchased at our website www.suncitywest.com or at our Box Office located at the RH Johnson Rec Center, Mon-Fri 8 am – 3pm. Tickets are $25.
Fri Mar 16 Cruise Ship Series – KEYBOARD AND KOMEDY, 7 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center. Sold out!
Sat Mar 17 ARTS & CRAFTS FAIR, RH Johnson Complex, 8 am – 2 pm, Thousands of one-of-a-kind treasures for sale. Food and Entertainment on the Great Lawn: 10 -11 John Hodgsen (Irish Music), 11-12 noon Bill Ciccone (keyboarder), 12-1 pm Fort Vines and Slim Nelson (variety)
Concessions: Memos-Breakfast Burritos & Pulled Pork & hot Dogs: Kettle Corn; Sugar Plum Fro-yo; Donuts and Coffee in the morning at various locations.
Fri Mar 23 MARCH DANCE -Yesterday Once More, 7 pm. Palm Ridge Recreation Center. SOLD OUT!
Mar 28 & 29 CHARTERED CLUBS OFFICERS MEETING, 6 pm Wed, or 8 am Thursday, Rh Johnson Social Hall. It is mandatory that all clubs be represented by at least one officer. You can attend either meeting. Please call Kasey at 623-544-6031 to confirm your attendance.
Sat Mar 31 EASTER EGG HUNT rolls into Beardsley Park! The Easter Bunny will be busy hiding eggs. Tickets for the Eggstravaganza Easter Egg Hunt are free to residents and their invited guests. For tickets, (which are required), residents must show rec cards at the R.H. Johnson Box Office from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Tickets are available through March 28. The hunt starts at 9 a.m., with children grouped by age Gates will open at 8:30 a.m. After the children have finished collecting their eggs the Easter Bunny will arrive for pictures at 9:30 a.m. Parents must have their own camera. Bounce houses, face painting, crafts, and much more will be available. We will sell donuts, coffee, and drinks. Children must be registered for the Easter egg hunt. Children must be at least 1 (walking) but no older than 10.
HAPPY CAMP BEGINS! March 12 through March 30, 2018