Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: December 30, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – December 30, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – We are waiting on the Fire Marshall/Alarm Inspection and will complete the ceiling tile once Inspection results have been received. We are still on schedule for the January 10, 2020 completion date.
- Metal Shop Storage Yard Expansion (Club Funded) – Rolling Gate installation is in progress. The block wall was completed 12/22/19 and asphalt repairs are scheduled for 1/6/20/
- Kuentz Gas Meter Project – The Pre-construction meeting has been scheduled for 12/31/19 with Southwest Gas corporation, National Pipeline, ForeSite and staff to determine the start date and the construction process for this project.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- The Sports Pavilion Fire Alarm System went off over the weekend. It was a false alarm. Upon inspection of the system, a pin-hole leak was discovered in piping located in the Riser Room which may have been what caused the false alarm. Once an alarm goes off, the system should automatically contact Facility Maintenance Manager Russ Boston which did not happen. We will be investigating this further.
- The Kuentz Pool Heater went down over night due to a loose wire. The wire was repaired and the Pool was able to be opened one hour later this morning.
- We are setting up an Open House for Reflective Services Massage Therapy on January 7, 2020 at 1:30 p.m. at the R. H. Johnson Pool. Reflective Services Staff will provide demonstrations and poolside massages to advertise some of the services they provide.
- We have been looking into usage numbers for the different facilities to get a better idea as to how many people are using each of them. Both Palm Ridge and R. H. Johnson averaged about 197 check-ins per day in 2019. Kuentz averaged 80 check-ins per day in 2018 and 78 per day in 2019 and Beardsley averaged The total number of check-ins for all four facilities in 2019 was 231,317 at an average of 159 check-ins per day. The Beardsley Facility was closed down for repair and remodeling work for almost two months which slightly affected the numbers for Beardsley.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- Open CC&R cases are virtually the lowest they have been since we started enforcement in July 2019. There are 40 open cases as of this morning but we do expect that number to increase with the return of winter residents.
- Over the next 6 months, we will be reviewing Clubs that no longer meet the criteria required for being a chartered club.
For the first 28 days of December2019 as compared to 2018:
- 92 sports fans attended our Sunday NFL Event.
- League Play was up 6%. Open Play was up 21%, Bowling revenue was up 7%, Refreshment Sales were up 42% and Total Revenue was up 5%.
- Our Sunday Special brought in $560.
- 90 Bowlers participated in the CBE Tournament this past weekend. Congratulations go out to Jason Moll who bowled a perfect 300 game!
- Staff’s next Improvement Council Meeting is scheduled for Friday morning.
- The IT Department continues working with some of our Chartered Clubs regarding Club computer software not working properly with our Member Validator Software. To date, these issues have been determined to be a problem with Club software. i.e., adding “leading zeros” to the Member number, changing the way our software looks at the information and not being able to match up with it.
- The deadline for the February issue of the Rec. Centers News is January 3 at noon. Please be sure to have all submittals for the paper turned in by then.
- To register for the upcoming governing Board Election, send an email to email@example.com and include your name, Owner-Member Card number and the email address you will be using to vote. You will receive an auto response to let you know you have been registered.
- The Library will be closed for the Holiday on Wed., January 1, 2020.
- We held a Holiday Story time on Saturday, Dec. 28. 11 adults and 7 children attended.
- The Library front door is now working after one minor adjustment was made.
- Our preliminary Operating Budget was provided to staff. They have been asked to make a review and get back to the Accounting Department with any deletions or other changes no later than January 17, 2020.
- CFO Pete Finelli has asked staff to be aware of any activity taking place at any of the cell towers located on Rec. Center property and report it back to Accounting so they can determine what, if any, work is being done.
- We have scheduled a Reserve Analysis Presentation at the Governing Board Workshop in mid-January 2020.
- For the first 28 days of December 2019 we had 109 APFs with 12 refunds for a total of 97 APF Fees. Total number for the month of November 2018 was 85 collected which puts us at 12 APF over for the month and 34 for the fiscal year,
- Tickets for “Spring Fest”, March 14 through March 16 are SOLD OUT
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have about 33 competitors, many committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The RHJ parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Our 5K Run tickets went on sale Monday, December 9, 2019. The date of the 5K is Saturday, March 28, 2020. Visit suncitywest.com and click on Annual 5K Registration listed under Announcements. Proceeds from this event will go to Patriotic Service Dog Foundation.
- Tickets are available now for the 3 International Tenors who will be here on Tuesday, January 14 at Palm Ridge for shows at 3 and 7 p.m.
- Our Top Hat Event, Uptown is scheduled for Thursday, January 9 at Palm Ridge for 3 and 7 p.m. Tickets are still available at the Box Office.
- Ping Brothers Cruise Ship Event is scheduled for Friday, January 10 at 7 p.m.at Palm Ridge. Tickets are still available.
- We received 50 applications for the HR Manager’s position for consideration. Interviews are in the process of being set up in the next two weeks.
- Just a reminder that Arizona State minimum wage goes up to $12 in January 2020.
- Through Saturday, December 28, greens fee and cart revenue is as follows: 1% up in rounds and 1% down in revenue. Golf Courses that took the biggest hit due to the recent rain were Deer Valley and Stardust. The biggest gains were with Grandview and Pebblebrook Golf Courses.
- New Year’s Day will be a normal da for us in Golf Operations. Since this is a scheduled Men’s Day, each golf course should be busy (assuming good weather!).
- Upcoming events include the following: Couples Therapy (Jan. 11th and 12th), Coors Light Challenge III (January 25), Miami Bowl (Feb. 1) and our Valentine’s Scramble (Feb. 8). Other events keeping the Staff busy include, Cholla, Ladies Team Play, Sunday Couples (every two weeks), Tennis Club and AZ Desert Hickory.
- Golf Course Maintenance
- Rainfall totals over the past week (just under 1 ¼”) brought our total here in SCW to 11.18” for 2019. This has been the highest amount of rain received annually since 2010. We have not had to pump water onto our golf courses for almost 2 months now which will result in significant electricity savings on our APS bills.
- There was a 2-hour frost delay issued on Sunday and this morning’s frost delay lasted 1 ½ hours. The low temperature on our golf courses was reported at 27 degrees. We expect a possible frost delay on Tuesday morning, but New Year’s Day looks good with warmer temperatures moving in.
- Landscaping Staff has planted all Live Oak trees along Stardust Blvd. and are now filling and cleaning up the tree wells.
December Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|3 International Tenors||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Cary Long – Comedian||Tuesday, February 11, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Troubadour Experience||Tuesday, February 18, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Voyager – Journey Tribute||March 13, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|One of These Nights – Eagles Trib||March 14, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Mirage – Fleetwood Mac Trib||March 15, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
Breakfast with Santa turned out better than we could have hoped for! So many good comments received regarding this event, many stating that it was fun, exciting and very well run. Thanks to all who made this event a success as well as those who came in for some good Christmas fun!
5k Now Available online under Announcements!
Date of 5k – Saturday, March 28, 2020
Visit www.suncitywest.com Click on Annual 5K Registration listed under Announcements
Charities go to – Patriotic Service Dog Foundation
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
Ticket Sales December 2019
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Spring Fest Package no longer available||Beardsley||1993||March 13-15|