Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: December 04, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – December 04, 2017
- Kuentz Craft Room #5 Cabinet Refacing began 11/27/17 and was completed 12/01/17. Next we move on to Craft Room #3 for cabinet refacing which will be closed on 12/11/17 through 12/15/17. Craft Room #4 will be closed on 12/18/17 through 12/22/17 and this will complete the Kuentz Craft Room Cabinet Refacing Project.
- The Kuentz Tile Roof Felt Replacement is in the final process. The Kuentz Fitness Center and pool have been reopened. The Tennis and Softball Buildings are the final roofs to be completed. This project should be wrapped up on 12/06/17.
- The Grandview Trash Entry conversion from Asphalt to concrete began on 12/04/17 and we expect to have this project completed by the end of this week.
- Facility Maintenance Staff is busy performing scheduled maintenance work.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Dec. 05 featuring singer Patti Dragish who is new to our lineup of talent.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Dec. 11. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Join us for Happy Hour on December 13 from 6 to 8 pm on the Great Lawn at the R. H. Johnson Facility. Some of your favorite performers return to perform a variety of Holiday songs and a Christmas-themed variety show. This event is free for SCW residents and their invited guests.
- Holiday in the Park is being held at Beardsley Park on Friday, Dec. 15 from 3 to 7 pm. Picture swill be taken with Santa from 5 to 6:30 pm (bring your own camera). There will be train rides, cookie decorating, playing in the snow, Lego building, letters to Santa, hot cocoa and coffee for sale. This event is free for SCW Resident and their invited guests but you will need a ticket from the SCW Box Office which can be picked up Monday through Friday between 8 am and 3 pm.
- The King’s Carolers performed on Wed., Nov. 29 at 6 p.m. on the Great Lawn at R. H. Johnson. Over 500 people attended this event.
- Saturday, Dec. 02 there was a groundbreaking for the ARC Paint Booth at 10:00 a.m. which was attended by 200 people.
- We’ve recently switched around the children’s swim hours. Beginning December 1, 2017 Children’s swim hours are: Palm Ridge Outdoor Pool 3 pm to 6 pm., Beardsley Indoor Pool 5 pm to 8 pm and R. H. Johnson Pool remains the same at 10 am to 1 pm.
- Toys for Kids is on Dec. 11 from 9 am to 11 am at the Kuentz Courtyard. This is your last chance to get a toy over to the Women’s/Boomers Club at the Kuentz Recreation Center. The children attending get to pick out a toy and the rest are given to four other organizations that benefit children at the holidays. Join the children in the Courtyard for hot chocolate, coffee and cookies.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $724.
- 52 attended NFL Sunday.
- sales at the Village Store were 5.5% higher than Nov. of 2016. This included the Fall Fair revenue.
- Last Saturday was the Bling Fling and the Metal Art Sale.
- Last Tuesday, Author J. C. Eaton, the Sun City West husband-and-wife writing team of James E. Clapp and Ann I. Goldfarb, presented the second book in their Sophie Kimball Cozy Mystery Series. The series is set in Sun City West and the audience roared with laughter as Jim and Ann poked fun at all the quirks peculiar to our town. Their next Stage for Murder Book will be set in the Stardust Theater. That one should be a lot of fun!
- Our next “Chat with Local Authors” is scheduled for Tuesday, December 5 at the library. Drop in any time between 10 a.m. and 12 Noon to meet Sun City West resident Thelma McCaslin. McCaslin shares “The joys of Grandparenting: Quips, Quotes, & Queries,” which she wrote with her later husband Nathaniel.
- Author Diane Cheney, PhD. Presents a book talk and signing for her recently published book, “Sleep Problems: Food Solutions: The Impact of Sleep Problems on Society” at 10:00 a.m. on Wednesday, December 6 in the Lecture Hall. Tickets are not required but seating is limited.
- This Friday the library will holt Virtual Reality sessions at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Pre-registration is required.
- NY Times Bestselling Author Brad Taylor will visit Sun City West on January 9 in the Lecture Hall. The library will distribute complimentary tickets beginning with Friends of the Library members on December 13 and continuing with Sun City West residents on December 15.
- We have established an email address that Sun City West residents should use to request the ability to vote on-line in the March 2018 Governing Board Election. For those interested, please send an email to email@example.com which should include the member’s name, Member No. and unique email address that the invitation can be sent to. Members who are also employees must use a personal email address and NOT use their work-related email address.
- We will be partnering up with Banner Health on how sleep affects memory and Longevity.
- The local forecast calls for beautiful weather and no rain over the next 15 days.
- Our landscapers will be skinning the palm trees along the wall on R. H. Johnson we could not get to last year. We have money in the budget to complete the remaining 35 palms left over from last year. We will only be skinning the Palm trees along the wall on R. H. Johnson. It is the County’s responsibility to maintain the landscape in the median on R. H. Johnson this year.
- Golf rounds are up 1,300 and up $35,000 in revenue for the same period in 2016.
- Our popular Night Golf Tournament scheduled for Saturday, Dec. 9 at Pebblebrook Golf Course is sold out. 104 golfers have signed up for this nine-hole scramble which will be played with glow balls. There will a Door Prize Raffle with all proceeds going to Meals on Wheels here in SCW.
- There will be a Men’s Team, Round Robin Match Play Tournament December 16 & 17 at Deer Valley. This event has been sold out!
- 48 golfers have already signed up for our 40th Anniversary Tournament that follows the 5K Run. So far there has been a great response as entry forms for this event were just sent out this past Friday. This Tournament is scheduled for Saturday, February 17, 2018.
- We redesigned the score cards for GV Golf Course and now plan to redesign the cards for the other 6 courses.
- Earl and Peggy Augustine will be at Palm Ridge Recreation Center on Tuesday and Thursday for the annual Chartered Clubs Treasurer’s Meetings.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard. Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Dec. 5 – Singer Patti Dragish, NEW
Dec. 12 – Singer Marilyn McClenahan with guest singer Mike Leidner
Dec. 19 – Singer/Guitarist Johns Hodgson
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon Dec 11 TOYS FOR KIDS, 9 am -11 am Kuentz Courtyard It’s quite a sight when little children see Santa come through the door of the Women’s/Boomers Club at Kuentz Recreation Center for the Toys for Kids event. This is your last chance to get a toy over to the club rooms. The kids get to pick out a toy and the rest are given to four more organizations to benefit children at the holidays. Many clubs in the community donate to this event as well as residents. Join the children in the courtyard for hot chocolate, coffee and cookies. For questions, contact Women’s club president Arlene Peterson at 702- 202-8462.
Mon, Dec 11 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Tue Dec 12 Celebrate Christmas with THE DUTTONS, 3 & 7pm, Palm Ridge, Doors will open at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. for each show. This event is SOLD OUT!
Wed Dec 13 HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm on the Great Lawn at RH Johnson, Some of Happy Hours favorite performers return to perform a variety of holiday songs a Christmas-themed variety show. It is free and open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. You may BYOB and snacks. Coffee and ice will be provided. Bring your own chairs. No pets are allowed, service animals only. The Great Lawn is the new grassy area behind the R.H. Johnson Pool.
Fri Dec 15 HOLIDAY IN THE PARK, Beardsley Park, 3-7 pm, Pictures with Santa 5-6:30 pm (Bring your own camera), train rides, cookie decorating, playing in the snow, Lego Building, letters to Santa, Hot Cocoa and Coffee for sale. It’s free but you need a ticket! Get your tickets at the RH Johnson Box Office, Mon – Fri 8 am – 3pm. This event is for Sun City West Residents and their invited guests only.
Sat Dec 31 NEW YEARS EVE DINNER AND DANCE, Palm Ridge, Usher in the New Year with the Recreation Centers of Sun City West at its annual New Year’s Eve Dance, Sunday, Dec. 31, at Palm Ridge Rec Center. Much like last year’s celebration, there will be two ticket options to choose from – dinner/dance or dessert/dance. Cost is $55 per person for dinner or $35 per person for dessert. Dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m. with doors opening at 7 while dessert will be from 8:45 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. with doors opening at 8:30. Tickets go fast, so hurry! Tickets are on sale at suncitywest.com or at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 RH Johnson Blvd. This event is open to the public. Join the Rec Centers for our 2018 New Year’s Eve Dance with some upbeat dancing with music by The Newtones and delicious food to ring in the New Year! Formerly the Realtones Band, they are now The Newtones Band for the 2017-18 season. The Newtones Band will play anything that keeps the dance floor packed and the party rockin’! The Newtones Band features a new lead vocalist – Jackie Lopez. This Chicago native got her start as a Selena Quintanilla tribute artist at 9 years old. Jackie’s voice is powerful, yet soothing with the ability to easily cover various genres. Gil Donatelli is The Newtones band leader and is a cum laude graduate of Berklee College of Music in Boston. He moved to Arizona in 2006 and is active in the local music scene. A photo booth will be available at no extra charge with pictures to take home that evening. Food will be catered by Classic Catering. The menu is available online at member.suncitywest.com/event and click on the Dec. 31 event, or pick one up at the Box Office at R.H. Johnson. The Newtones begin at 9 p.m., will ring in the New Year at midnight and finish off the party at 12:30 a.m