Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: August 21, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – August 21, 2017
- The Library Paint and Carpet Project was completed on 8-16-17.
- The R. H. Johnson Spa Ceiling replacement was completed on 8-17-17
- The Beardsley Park Lighting Replacement Project is in progress. We expect to be completed this week.
- The Beardsley Arts and Crafts Parking Lot Asphalt repairs begin on 8-22-17 and sealing and striping will take place on August 30 & 31.
- The Desert Trails Pro Shop Remodel Project is in progress.
- The Kuentz ADA Ramp Project has been awarded to K. L. McIntyre and work begins on 8-23.
- The Kuentz Tennis Court Mesh Project on courts 4, 5 & 6 has been awarded to Southwest Sport Surfaces.
- The Kuentz Softball Sidewalk Replacement Project has been awarded to DFG Builders.
- The Kuentz Wood Shop Parking Concrete Project has been awarded to Running Construction.
- The Kuentz Craft Room 3 & 4 Flooring Replacement Project has been awarded to Heritage Flooring.
- The Palm Ridge Pickeball Court Resurfacing Project for courts #1 – #10 has been awarded to Southwest Sports Surfaces.
- The Palm Ridge Pool Shade Cover Project has been awarded to Phoenix Tent and Awning.
- Memo’s Carpet Replacement Project at the Sports Pavilion has been awarded to Express Commercial Flooring.
- The Grandview Patio Milling and Asphalt Bollard Installation Project has been awarded to Ace Asphalt.
- Facility Maintenance personnel are busy with work orders for the new pool project, assisting IT with the installation of fiber optic cable, as well as phone and network lines this week.
- All new pool equipment at R. H. Johnson will be turned over to Facility Maintenance this week. RCSCW Maintenance staff has received classes and training in the operations and care of the new equipment.
- Demolition of the R. H. Johnson Spa begins this week. We expect this project will take approximately 2 to 3 weeks to complete.
- Electronic Dart Boards were installed in the Shuffleboard/Multi-Purpose Room at the Sports Pavilion. They have proven popular with people and have received a lot of use so far.
- To date, 40 bowlers have signed up for our October Tournament scheduled for 10-07-17. If you are interested in participating, please visit the front desk at the Sports Pavilion. We’d love to have you!
- The new pool at RHJ is now filled with water and looks great! We are working on last minute items to be completed as well as several inspections required before the opening of the pool.
- The Paint and Carpeting Project at the library is now complete and will reopen for resident use tomorrow, August 22. Normal Hours for the library, including the Data Resource Center, are 9:00 a.m. to 4 p.m., Tuesday through Saturday.
- Patrons have responded positively to Cybrarian, the new print management software in the Data Resource Center.
- The library will hold an Open House next month from 10:00 a.m. to Noon on Friday, September 29, 2017.
- Future virtual reality demonstrations will be scheduled back at the R. H. Johnson library.
- A reporter, Steven Bates, from the Community Association Institute magazine, Common Ground, interviewed Katy O’Grady on what RCSCW is doing regarding the topic of Aging In Place. This interview should appear in a future edition of the magazine.
- We have signed up for the annual sponsorship to the Sun Cities Historical Society.
- Katy will be working to complete the draft of the new Member Packet this week. The format for the new packet will be completely changed to make it more time and cost effective.
- Grandview Golf Course which has been closed for summer maintenance since Monday, May 29 will reopen after fall overseeding on October 17. The Bunker Project remains on schedule and is about 90% complete. We expect this project to be completed by 8/25/17, one month prior to the start of fall overseeding. We are only 38 days away from our first course closure for overseeding.
- Landscaping for R. H. Johnson Pool Entrance should be completed by Friday, 8/25/17.
- Two of the Chinese Pistache trees at the entrance to the RHJ Pool did not transition well and will be replaced at no cost to us. We will be planting flowers in the new pots at the entrance to the R. H. Johnson Pool.
- Special Events Golf Schedule for Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 has been sent out to over 600 residents who played in last year’s events. The Schedule will also be sent to each of the Group Play monitors and to the Presidents of each Chartered Golf Club.
- We have centralized our “golf club” lost and found department. Instead of lost clubs being located at each golf course, we have organized lost clubs via a spread-sheet and will have them all stored in one place at Golf Operations.
- Desert Trails Pro Shop is currently going through the demolition phase of the remodel.
- Golf revenue for the first 20 days of August was down $3,000 and rounds were down 150.
- We are currently scheduling Group Play but there will be no Group Play scheduled during Fall Overseeding.
- We continue with repair and preventive maintenance on our golf carts.
Upcoming Events: Aug 2017
Wed Aug 23 SOLD OUT SIZZLING SINATRA SUMMER SPECIAL, 5 pm, Palm Ridge Recreation Center, Tickets for the cabaret-style show are just $5 per person and go on sale July 18 at the R.H. Johnson Box Office or online at suncitywest.com. Doors will open at 4:30 p.m. and the event is open to the public. Beverages will be available or BYOB and bring your own snacks. The melodies. The music. The romance. Mr. Cimorelli will take you back to a time when nightclubs sizzled with hot rhythms and cool lyrics. And one man reigned above it all – Frank Sinatra. Through the musical styling of noted vocalist Frank Cimorelli, that classic sound fills the air once again. You can experience these unforgettable songs sung by an unforgettable voice. Sip martinis while being serenaded with the best loved classics. Frank Cimorelli is an accomplished actor and singer. He is a member of the Screen Actors Guild and has several film and television credits. He has starred in many musical stage productions including “Guys and Dolls,” “Singing in the Rain,” and “You’re a Good Man Charlie Brown.” Cimorelli’s tribute brings Sinatra back to life in what is being called a “must see” show.
Look for the soft opening of the RH Johnson Swim and Fitness Complex on August 28th.
The GRAND OPENING is scheduled for the weekend of Sept 16th.