Beginning Monday, March 15, the Recreation Centers of Sun City West will reopen all facilities and clubs, and allow guests, given the Governor’s recent executive order and news that nearly 65 percent of Sun City West residents have been vaccinated and COVID case counts in this zip code have leveled off.
Gov. Doug Ducey on Friday announced he was lifting capacity restrictions on businesses. The Rec Centers will use the next week to get staff schedules in place, put furniture back in place and take care of other logistics for the full reopening March 15.
As part of the reopening, guests will be allowed in all venues with the appropriate fee; children’s hours will be available at the pools. All clubs will have the ability to reopen, although they may choose to remain closed; check suncitywest.com/covid19 for a complete list.
Maricopa County’s mask mandate will continue to be enforced in all indoor areas.
“Our residents have endured a challenging year, and we appreciate their understanding as we kept many facilities closed to slow the curve. We’ve waited patiently for vaccinations, and they are now here,” said General Manager Bill Schwind. “We have gradually reopened as the metrics have indicated it is safe to do so, and now with the Governor’s order, we are excited to take this next step to having all facilities and clubs open. We remind all residents and guests that COVID is still a concern and we need to be mindful.”
Additional details of the reopening include:
• Capacity limitations at indoor facilities will be lifted, but members are asked to maintain 6-foot distancing when possible.
• Club special events, parties and general meetings will be accommodated when possible. Clubs should submit the required forms to the Recreation Department for consideration.
• Beardsley Park, the Great Lawn and the new outdoor area at Kuentz are no longer available for the drop-in club use that has been occurring. These facilities must be reserved by submitting the proper paperwork to our Tours and Scheduling department.
• Facilities and clubs: Will be open regular hours, including weekends, unless the club chooses to remain closed. Clubs found violating the mask policy may face a closure of up to two weeks. Those clubs that have enjoyed expanded hours due to closures of other clubs will return to regular hours. A few clubs may be relocated from the Social Hall as that space is still being used for meetings; affected clubs will be notified. Complete details for clubs and facilities will be posted at suncitywest.com/covid19.
• Governing Board: All Board and Committee meetings will be reopened to the public beginning March 15. Locations are yet to be determined. Check gb.suncitywest.com for agendas and meeting locations.
• Indoor facilities: Masks are required for all indoor facilities. Gyms, indoor pools, spas, Palm Ridge’s indoor walking track, group fitness, and shower/locker rooms are open 6 a.m. to 9 p.m., seven days a week. Spa services and personal training are available. Racquetball and table tennis at R.H. Johnson will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week.
• Pools and Spas: Masks must be worn to and from the pools and spas, but not in the pools or spas.
• Outdoor facilities: Tennis, pickleball, lawn bowls, walking tracks, bocce, mini golf, etc. are open. Equipment is available for rent at the Activities Center and will be cleaned between users.
• Library: Open regular hours of 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Saturday for Grab and Go service. As of March 15, it will be open regular hours with regular services. Call 623-544-6130.
• Golf: Open. Crossovers and shotgun starts will be offered beginning Tuesday, March 16. Pull carts and rental clubs available. Crooked Putter is open. The other pro shops will begin offering food and beverage service on March 22.
• Sports Pavilion: Open. Masks required. Rental equipment is available as of March 15. The closure for installation of the new scoring system will continue as planned April 26-May 16, reopening May 17.
• Member Services: Open from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Appointments are encouraged. A new outdoor service window also is available from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call 623-544-6100.
• Administrative/Governing Board/Tours & Scheduling: Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
• Box Office: Open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• Village Store: Open 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For the latest COVID information from the Rec Centers, visit suncitywest.com/COVID19, and sign up for the weekly enews at suncitywest.com.