Picture above is from phase one of the 2021 Kuentz parking lot project
The Recreation Centers of Sun City West have a series of capital projects planned for the remainder of 2021.
Here is the tentative schedule and the work that will be tackled during that time:
- R.H. Johnson Recreation Center
- Kuentz Recreation Center
- Beardsley Recreation Center
- Palm Ridge Recreation Center
- Metal Shop Club
- R.H. Johnson swim and fitness flooring project – Project began on Sept. 27. Phase one of the project is currently in progress with two week demo closure. Facility lobby and pool to reopen after demo traffic and scheduled repairs to pool deck are complete on Oct. 11. Project flyer
- Racquetball Courts screen and seal – Project completed on Sept. 24. Courts have been reopened.
- Kuentz parking lot asphalt mill & replacement
- Phase 1 – Completed!
- Phase 2 – Sept. 24 to TBD
- Phase 2 – After removal of the south lot’s old asphalt, it was determined that soil stabilization is a required step prior to the placement of new asphalt and was also impacted by this past weekend’s (Sept. 25 and 26) rain. General Manager and Staff have agreed to extend the closure for natural drying and stabilizing to take place in lieu of the high cost of concrete powder soils stabilization process. The decision to naturally dry the lots soil prevents approximately $70,000 of additional costs, while requiring 3 to 4 weeks of inconvenient added closure time. Staff is making efforts to reach out to The Foundation for assistance in additional parking to accommodate Softball and Theatre Events scheduled during this timeframe.
- Phased closure will allow for Kuentz to maintain daily operations.
- Kuentz parking lot lighting project – Project completed on Sept. 30.
Beardsley aquatic pool lighting project – Project was completed on Sept. 17. Pool has been reopened.
Outdoor and indoor pool leak detection – On Wednesday, Sept. 29, the Palm Ridge Swim and Fitness building will be closed until 7 a.m. as the water for the building will be shut off so leak detectors can locate a leak on the outdoor deck.
- Metal Shop Addition – Facility is currently closed. General contractor foundation work in progress. APS scheduled to replace existing transformer to upgraded equipment and install new wiring from Nov. 8 through December.
Page updated 7-28-21 for Beardsley July projects
Page updated 8-5-21 for the following changes:
- July 2021 section was removed as those projects were either completed or their projects dates have moved them to a different section.
- R.H. Johnson Swim and Fitness flooring project was moved to the September section to reflect its new project dates.
- Kuentz parking lot lighting project was moved to the August section to reflect its new project dates.
Page updated 8-23-21 for the following changes:
- The Metal Shop project was added to the page
- Beardsley pool lighting project was updated
Page updated 9-8-21 for the following changes:
- Screen and seal project for Racquetball courts at RHJ added to September section
Page updated 9-10-21 for the following changes:
- Update to R.H. Johnson swim and fitness flooring project
- Project map added to Kuentz asphalt mill and replacement project
Page updated 9-16-21 for the following changes:
- August capital projects (Beardsley pool lighting and Kuentz parking lot lighting) still in progress have been moved to the September section of the page
- Metal shop project has been updated
- Racquetball Courts screen and seal project has been updated
Page updated 9-24-21 for the following changes:
- Kuentz parking lot project was updated to reflect the completion of phase one and start of phase two
- Palm Ridge Swim and Fitness building will be closed for a short period on Wednesday, Sept. 29. Information for that closure was placed in the Palm Ridge tab in the table above.
- Featured photo at the top of the page was change to the Kuentz parking lot project
Page updated 9-27-21 for the following changes:
- Metal shop project updated
- Kuentz parking lot project updated to reflect extended timeframe of phase 2
Page updated 10-7-21 for the following changes:
- Metal shop project updated
- Racquetball screen and seal project was completed on Sept. 24
- Kuentz parking lot lighting replacement was completed on Sept. 30