Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: December 11, 2017
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: Mike Whiting, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – December 11, 2017
- Kuentz Craft Room #3 will be closed for cabinet refacing on 12/11/17 through 12/15/17. Craft Room #4 will be closed on 12/18/17 through 12/22/17 and this will complete the Kuentz Craft Room Cabinet Refacing Project.
- The Kuentz Tile Roof Felt Replacement was completed on 12/7/17.
- The Grandview Trash Entry conversion from asphalt to concrete was completed on 12/05/17.
- H. Johnson Parking Lot Lighting Project for section 1 & 2 is in progress.
- Facility Maintenance Staff is busy staying current on scheduled maintenance work throughout all of our facilities.
- Our next “So You Think You Have Talent” is scheduled for 11 a.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard on Dec. 12 featuring singer Marilyn McClenahan with guest singer Mike Leidner.
- Our next Jam Session is from 1 – 3 p.m. at the Kuentz Courtyard Monday, Dec. 11. Join us for two hours of entertainment where you can sit back, relax and enjoy the music!
- Toys for Kids is on Dec. 11 from 9 am to 11 am at the Kuentz Courtyard. This is your last chance to get a toy over to the Women’s/Boomers Club at the Kuentz Recreation Center. The children attending get to pick out a toy and the rest are given to four other organizations that benefit children at the holidays. Join the children in the Courtyard for hot chocolate, coffee and cookies.
- Celebrate Christmas with the Duttons at 3 and 7 p.m. at Palm Ridge. Doors will be open at 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. This event is SOLD OUT!
- Join us for Happy Hour on December 13 from 6 to 8 pm on the Great Lawn at the R. H. Johnson Facility. Some of your favorite performers return to perform a variety of Holiday songs and a Christmas-themed variety show. This event is free for SCW residents and their invited guests.
- Holiday in the Park is being held at Beardsley Park on Friday, Dec. 15 from 3 to 7 pm. Pictures will be taken with Santa from 5 to 6:30 pm (bring your own camera). There will be train rides, cookie decorating, playing in the snow, Lego building, letters to Santa, hot cocoa and coffee for sale. This event is free for SCW Residents and their invited guests but you will need a ticket from the SCW Box Office which can be picked up Monday through Friday between 8 am and 3 pm.
- Check with our Box Office for information about our New Year’s Eve Dinner and Dance at Palm Ridge on Saturday, Dec. 31. The cost is $55 per person for the Dinner and Dance or $35 per person for Dessert and Dance.
- We’ve recently switched around the children’s swim hours. Beginning December 1, 2017 Children’s swim hours are now: Palm Ridge Outdoor Pool 3 pm to 6 pm., Beardsley Indoor Pool 5 pm to 8 pm and R. H. Johnson Pool remains the same at 10 am to 1 pm.
- Sunday’s Special brought in $608.
- 62 attended NFL Sunday.
- Sales at the Village Store continue to be strong.
- Katie will be hosting a “Thank You” Brunch for the Village Store Volunteers this week.
- Sun City West Resident Thelma McCaslin had a very nice turnout for her “Chat with Local Authors” book signing event last Thursday.
- Author Diane Cheney had a very engaged audience at her book talk and signing last Wednesday. Cheney highlighted how sleep issues are pervasive, not only among seniors but also in the general Population. She discussed some of the many solutions available.
- New York Tims Bestselling Author Brad Taylor will visit Sun City West on January 9, 2018 in the Lecture Hall. The library will begin distributing complimentary tickets this week. Members of the Friends of the Library will have priority on ticket sales December 13 and 14. We will continue with Sun City West residents on December 15. People without tickets will be admitted only if seats are available.
- As a reminder, we have established an email address that Sun City West residents should use to request the ability to vote on-line in the March 2018 Governing Board Election. For those interested, please send an email to email@example.com which should include the member’s name, Member No. and unique email address that the invitation can be sent to. Members who are also employees must use a personal email address and NOT use their work-related email address.
- We apologize for the COX internet outage that took place Friday. The outage was company wide and everyone had trouble accessing anything that needed an internet connection. We do have an emergency service as a backup for these occasions but it is slow and cannot handle the traffic that COX does. These outages take place so infrequently that we don’t think it warrants paying another major internet service company to standby.
- Hometown Heroes nominations are due by January 2018 should you have someone you’d like to nominate.
- The deadline for the Rec. Center News is Friday, Jan. 5, 2018. Please submit your articles by noon.
- We will be discussing several issues at the GM Operations Meeting today including, Workman’s Compensation, and the upcoming Budget Process.
- We had our first frost delay this season on Friday, Dec. 8. There was a one-hour cart path restriction on all courses. We see no frost delays forecast in the next week or so.
- Golf revenue is down $10,000 and rounds are down 600 for the first 10 days of December most of which is due to outside play.
- 104 golfers participated in our Night Golf Tournament at Pebblebrook Golf Course. It was a great event!
- There will be a Men’s Team, Round Robin Match Play Tournament December 16 & 17 at Deer Valley. 36 golfers have signed up for this event and it has been sold out!
- 80 golfers have already signed up for our 40th Anniversary Tournament that follows the 5K Run. This Tournament is scheduled for Saturday, February 17, 2018 and is SOLD OUT.
- We will be continuing our meetings on Group Play this week at the Lecture Hall.
- Some interesting employment statistics over the last three years:
2015 2016 2017
Employees Hired 92 105 117
Terminated 97 98 106
Work Days Lost
Due to Accident 4 14 79
- The Annual Chartered Clubs Treasurer’s Meetings have been changed from voluntary attendance to mandatory attendance as there has been an increase in misinformation and lack of information as to the responsibilities of the Club Treasurer. There was an average of 32 treasurer’s in each session recently held. Anyone who did not attend will be contacted for a “make-up” session.
Every Tue at Kuentz SO YOU THINK YOU HAVE TALENT! 11 am at Kuentz Courtyard.
Join us for our 7th Season high-liting many new acts and “all your old favorites!”
Dec. 12 – Singer Marilyn McClenahan with guest singer Mike Leidner
Dec. 19 – Singer/Guitarist Johns Hodgson
For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623-544- 6193. This event is FREE!
Mon Dec 11 TOYS FOR KIDS, 9 am -11 am Kuentz Courtyard It’s quite a sight when little children see Santa come through the door of the Women’s/Boomers Club at Kuentz Recreation Center for the Toys for Kids event. This is your last chance to get a toy over to the club rooms. The kids get to pick out a toy and the rest are given to four more organizations to benefit children at the holidays. Many clubs in the community donate to this event as well as residents. Join the children in the courtyard for hot chocolate, coffee and cookies. For questions, contact Women’s club president Arlene Peterson at 702- 202-8462.
Mon, Dec 11 JAM SESSION, 1-3 pm, Kuentz Courtyard. Join us on from 1 to 3 p.m. for two hours of entertainment in the Kuentz Courtyard. Join in or just sit back and relax and enjoy the music. This starts our third season. For questions or information, contact Dori Miller at 623- 544-6193.
Tue Dec 12 Celebrate Christmas with THE DUTTONS, 3 & 7pm, Palm Ridge, Doors will open at 2:30 and 6:30 p.m. for each show. This event is SOLD OUT!
Wed Dec 13 HAPPY HOUR, 6-8 pm on the Great Lawn at RH Johnson, Some of Happy Hours favorite performers return to perform a variety of holiday songs a Christmas-themed variety show. It is free and open to Sun City West residents and their invited guests. You may BYOB and snacks. Coffee and ice will be provided. Bring your own chairs. No pets are allowed, service animals only. The Great Lawn is the new grassy area behind the R.H. Johnson Pool.
Fri Dec 15 HOLIDAY IN THE PARK, Beardsley Park, 3-7 pm, Pictures with Santa 5-6:30 pm (Bring your own camera), train rides, cookie decorating, playing in the snow, Lego building, letters to Santa, Hot Cocoa and Coffee for sale. It’s free but you need a ticket! Get your tickets at the RH Johnson Box Office, Mon – Fri 8 am – 3pm. This event is for Sun City West Residents and their invited guests only.
Sat Dec 31 NEW YEARS EVE DINNER AND DANCE, Palm Ridge, Usher in the New Year with the Recreation Centers of Sun City West at its annual New Year’s Eve Dance, Sunday, Dec. 31, at Palm Ridge Rec Center. Much like last year’s celebration, there will be two ticket options to choose from – dinner/dance or dessert/dance. Cost is $55 per person for dinner or $35 per person for dessert. Dinner will be served at 7:30 p.m. with doors opening at 7 while dessert will be from 8:45 p.m. to 12:30 a.m. with doors opening at 8:30. Tickets go fast, so hurry! Tickets are on sale at suncitywest.com or at the R.H. Johnson Box Office, 19803 RH Johnson Blvd. This event is open to the public. Join the Rec Centers for our 2018 New Year’s Eve Dance with some upbeat dancing with music by The Newtones and delicious food to ring in the New Year! Formerly the Realtones Band, they are now The Newtones Band for the 2017-18 season. The Newtones Band will play anything that keeps the dance floor packed and the party rockin’! The Newtones Band features a new lead vocalist – Jackie Lopez. This Chicago native got her start as a Selena Quintanilla tribute artist at 9 years old. Jackie’s voice is powerful, yet soothing with the ability to easily cover various genres. Gil Donatelli is The Newtones band leader and is a cum laude graduate of Berklee College of Music in Boston. He moved to Arizona in 2006 and is active in the local music scene. A photo booth will be available at no extra charge with pictures to take home that evening. Food will be catered by Classic Catering. The menu is available online at member.suncitywest.com/event and click on the Dec. 31 event, or pick one up at the Box Office at R.H. Johnson. The Newtones begin at 9 p.m., will ring in the New Year at midnight and finish off the party at 12:30 a.m