Of Sun City West, Inc.
Date: December 02, 2019
To: RCSCW Governing Board
From: William Schwind, General Manager
Subject: Weekly Activity Report – December 02, 2019
Facility Projects: (Karl)
- Palm Ridge Stained Glass/Computers West Club Renovation is in progress – Stained Glass Room Update – Flooring, Final Trim, and workstation installation is in progress. We expect this project to be completed 12/31/19. Computers West Room – Cabinets, Ceiling Grid Tile and Mechanical Trim are all in progress. We expect this project to be completed sometime around mid-January 2020.
Facility Maintenance: (Russ)
- Through the Holiday, we had a vendor working on the Outdoor Spa heater at R. H, Johnson. After replacing a governor, the heater flame was orange and not the normal blue flame. In the interest of safety, we shut the spa heater down and as of Monday, 12-2-19 there was no heat to that spa. We are setting up a scheduled time for the vendor to come in to assess the situation and locate and repair the problem.
- Facility Maintenance Staff is busy working on completing multiple Work Orders.
- Staff is busy this season with decorating and setting up events for the Holidays.
Recreation Activities: (Riley)
- If you are looking for information on CC&Rs, take a moment to check out our web page and FAQs using this link: https://suncitywest.com/ccr-faq-sun-city-west/ .
- As our population moves back into Sun City West for the winter, the number of CC&R complaints being submitted has increased. Despite the increase in CC&R cases submitted, the CC&R Department has been able to keep the “open cases” to about 63.
- Riley has submitted the proposed CC&R Budget for FY20/21 to management.
- We have renewed our Movie License for 2020.
- We are assisting in the rewriting of the Agriculture Club Bylaws and will schedule a meeting with the Club to discuss the same.
- Stained Glass Club has requested a meeting with Management regarding their new space.
- We will be talking with the current President and Officers of the Deer Valley Men’s Golf Club about the inability to attract Officers from their Club membership.
- Sales at the Village Store were very good this past Saturday. We are open on “Black Friday”, Nov. 29 and will have three employees covering overlapping shifts for that day as we expect it to be busy.
- We will work on pulling Club Items for November after Thanksgiving so there are more items for sale on display.
- Village Store Manager Katie Van Leuven will be doing a radio Interview on KSCW 103.1 to talk about the Store and the upcoming Christmas Season.
- We had three 300 games bowled last week. Congratulations to out to Cal Shirey, Pete Kleckner and Jeff Row! To date there have been sixteen 300 games bowled this year.
- We had 70 entries for Nov. 27 No-Tap Tournament.
- 100 sports fans attended our Sunday NFL Event.
- League Play was down 14% due to the League cancellations to allow for the tournament. The Pioneer League bowled one less week and the Sunday League did not bowl. Open Play was up 30%, Refreshment Sales were up 32% and Total Revenue was up 1%.
- Library Director Jane Kauzlaric is retiring 12-14-19. Her replacement, Tracy Skousen, started her new job today. We will be having a retirement celebration for Jane at the Library this Thursday afternoon. We wish her well!
- Staff will be attending a meeting this week to discuss the current “911” System.
- The Rec. Centers joined a Phoenix Radio Station (KSLX 100.7) in their effort to collect holiday cards for our troops to show them how much Sun City West supports them. We collected over 500 cards with Holiday wishes in them and turned them over to KSLX. They are now on their way to the troops.
- Through the SCW Consortium and as Community Partners we are sponsoring Happy, Healthy Holiday, an Interactive Wellness Event on Friday, December 13 from 9 a.m. until Noon in the Sun City West Foundation Webb Room. There will be information on Acupuncture Education, Blood Pressure Checks, Fire Prevention and many Holiday Activities to participate in. Space is limited. To register, visit SunHealthWellness.org and click on ‘Healthy Living Classes” or call (623) 207-1703.
- To register for the upcoming governing Board Election, send an email to email@example.com and include your name, Owner-Member Card number and the email address you will be using to vote. You will receive an auto response to let you know you have been registered.
- An interesting statistic: Confirmed cases of Flu in Arizona are up 368% over last year and 481% overall.
- Last Saturday, Nov. 30, the library presented a thanksgiving Story Time to four children and nine adults. After the stories, the kids created their own Christmas Countdown Paperchain.
- New Library Director Tracy Skousen arrived Thursday, Dec. 5.
- APF numbers are in very good shape for the month. B&F Committee is addressing the APF Financial Policy.
- We expect our Operating Budget Meeting to take place in mid to late December.
- The transfer of Operating Funds to Reserves will take place during the month of December.
- Karl Wilhelm did an outstanding job with his presentation at the Foresight Meeting.
- We are taking some of our funds out of lower yield money market accounts and putting them into higher yield government funded accounts.
- We have scheduled a Reserve Analysis Presentation at the Governing Board Workshop in mid-January 2020.
- For the month of November 2019 we had 97 APFs with 8 refunds for a total of 89 APF Fees. Total number for the month of November in 2018 was 86 which puts us three over 2018.
- The updated photo taking for continues to be a little slower than expected but the busiest months of Jan. and Feb. are quickly approaching.
- Tickets for “Spring Fest”, March 14 through March 16 are SOLD OUT
- Save the date 3-7-20 for our “BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge” which is a Southwest National BBQ Competition. To date we have about 33 competitors, many committed sponsorships, Woodshop/Metal Club in-kind sponsors for trophies and awards. This event takes place in the R.H. Johnson Parking Lot on March 7, 2020. The RHJ parking lot will be blocked off beginning Thursday 3-05-19 through Sunday 03-08-19.
- Tickets are on sale at the Box Office for Breakfast with Santa. This event is scheduled for Dec. 21, 8:30 a.m. at Beardsley.
- Tickets are still available now for our Holiday Show, Uptown Angels & MacDougal Street West scheduled for Dec. 11 at Palm Ridge, 3:00 and 7:00 p.m. Tickets are still available for both the 3:00 p.m. and 7:00 p.m. shows.
- Tickets for our New Year’s Eve Dance scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 31 are available and on sale at our Box Office.
- Our 5K Run tickets become available on Monday, December 9, 2019. The date of the 5K is Saturday, March 28, 2020. Visit suncitywest.com and click on Annual 5K Registration listed under Announcements. Proceeds from this event will go to Patriotic Service Dog Foundation.
- Employees are reminded that Open Enrollment ends this week, Dec. 5.
- We received 30 applications for the HR Manager’s position for consideration.
- With the rain and cold weather, we have had at the end of the month, our rounds are 11% below prior year and revenues are 14% below prior year. Anytime we lose a weekday of golf dur t weather, it impacts our revenue.
- This weekend at Deer Valley Golf Course we will be hosting the Coors Light Challenge II Round Robin Match Play Event. This is a two-man, best ball with 96 players. There will be eight flights of 6 teams who will play a total of five nine-hole matches during the two days.
- Night Golf is being played on Friday, December 20 at Pebblebrook Golf Course. We have 104 players signed up to play and it will be a great night as long as the weather cooperates. New technology in golf equipment will be the big talk of this event. New glow balls and hole lights will really make this a fun event.
- Jean and Lee Serr are stepping down from hosting our Sunday Couples events. They are both having health issues and are no longer able to run these events which are scheduled every other Sunday throughout the year. As many as 100 golfers will participate in this event. We will either name a new host or we will handle these events through Golf Operations. It may be necessary to make some changes to the events. We would like to take this opportunity to thank Jean and Lee for everything they have done for the Community and the many hours they have given to make the Sunday Couples Event so successful.
- Golf Course Maintenance
- Rainfall totals from Friday, 11-19 were between 1.25” and 1.50”. We had cart path restrictions in effect all day and Deer Valley Golf Course was closed due to high water.
- Another storm system was forecast for Wednesday of this week.
- Irrigation systems and well pumps have been off for 14 days and counting. No need to pump or put water down with all the rain we’ve had.
- The putting green at Grandview Golf Course reopened on Monday, 12-2-19.
- Landscape Maintenance:
- Beardsley Park reopened on Monday, December 2, a week and a half ahead of schedule.
December Upcoming Events
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Holiday Concert Uptown Angels/MacDougal||Wednesday Dec 11, 2019||Palm Ridge||3&7pm||Available Now|
|Breakfast with Santa –
SCW residents only
|Saturday, Dec 21, 2019||Beardsley||8:30am||Available Now
Box Office Only
|New Year’s Eve Dance||Tuesday, December 31, 2019||Palm Ridge||7:30pm||Available Now|
Current / Upcoming Ticket Sales
|Event||Event Date||Location||Time||Ticket Sales|
|Cary Long – Comedian||Tuesday, February 11, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||December 3, 2019|
|Troubadour Experience||Tuesday, February 18, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||December 3, 2019|
|TOP HAT – Uptown||Thursday, January 9, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Shashaty||Thursday, February 13, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Jump Jive & Wail||Thursday, February 27, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|TOP HAT – Aretha||Thursday, March 12, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Ping Brothers||Friday, January 10, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Tod Oliver & Friends||Friday, January 24, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – AZ Trio||Friday, February 7, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Adel Experience||Friday, February 21, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|CRUISE SHIP – Black Market Trust||Friday, March 6, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||Available Now|
|CRUISE SHIP – Fair Child Blues||Friday, March 20, 2020||Palm Ridge||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Vox Fortura||Tuesday, January 14, 2020||Palm Ridge||3 & 7pm||Available Now|
|Voyager – Journey Tribute||March 13, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|One of These Nights – Eagles Trib||March 14, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
|Mirage – Fleetwood Mac Trib||March 15, 2020||Beardsley||7pm||SOLD OUT|
5k Becomes Available next Monday December 9, 2019
Date of 5k – Saturday, March 28, 2020
Visit www.suncitywest.com Click on Annual 5K Registration listed under Announcements
Charities go to – Patriotic Service Dog Foundation
BBQ – SCW BBQ Taste of Paradise Challenge
SAVE THE DATE – March 7, 2020
Ticket Sales December 3, 2019
Subscriptions No Longer Available
|2020 Cruise Ship Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||700||100%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 3PM||Palm Ridge||481||68%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Top Hat Subscriptions 7PM||Palm Ridge||694||99%||Dates Vary|
|2020 Spring Fest Package no longer available||Beardsley||1993||March 13-15|